A post I wasted. Thought I would share it with TRUE RL fans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
i'm spartacus

Re: A post I wasted. Thought I would share it with TRUE...

Post by i'm spartacus »

cpwigan wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Is it not inevitable Morley that you compare the progress a teams makes or does not make from one coach to another?

You mentioned the playing squad but forget that SL is also much weaker under Wane than it was for Madge. Why do you think our squad is weaker under Wane than it was for Madge?

CP, I respect your right to hold your opinions and I know you welcome all views. I know a bit about interpreting stats, but am resisting the temptation to get into a technical argument which would bore the pants off everyone.

It may be simplistic, but didn't we lose Leuluai, Finch, Carmont, Hoffman ... Tbh, I started this season expecting to be 5th or 6th at best by this stage, given the team we had and the need for key players like Green and Smith to find their feet. Add to that the injuries we've had and I'm over the moon at what SW and the team have achieved already.

My guess is that Dom Crosby, Andy Flower, Gil Dudson, Sam Powell and others would not have made the same progress under most other coaches - (whisper it) even including Madge, much as I respect him.
I know you understand Stats MPE. I spent a lot of time chatting with Gaz. However, I am comfortable with my assumptions and my ability to interpret stats.

In terms of SL you need to compare the overall quality of the competition AND as you say the quality of the Wigan playing squad. To not include both renders any interpretation as weak to meaningless.

So lets start with SL in 2013. Would it be fair to say the competition as a whole has never been weaker in recent times? Last 10, last 5 years ? What do you think MPE?
You are introducing a variable that cannot be quantified. Whether SL Is weaker or not is a personal opinion which allows you to discount stats as important because you don't have a starting point.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

cpwigan wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Is it not inevitable Morley that you compare the progress a teams makes or does not make from one coach to another?

You mentioned the playing squad but forget that SL is also much weaker under Wane than it was for Madge. Why do you think our squad is weaker under Wane than it was for Madge?
CP, I respect your right to hold your opinions and I know you welcome all views. I know a bit about interpreting stats, but am resisting the temptation to get into a technical argument which would bore the pants off everyone.

It may be simplistic, but didn't we lose Leuluai, Finch, Carmont, Hoffman ... Tbh, I started this season expecting to be 5th or 6th at best by this stage, given the team we had and the need for key players like Green and Smith to find their feet. Add to that the injuries we've had and I'm over the moon at what SW and the team have achieved already.

My guess is that Dom Crosby, Andy Flower, Gil Dudson, Sam Powell and others would not have made the same progress under most other coaches - (whisper it) even including Madge, much as I respect him.
I know you understand Stats MPE. I spent a lot of time chatting with Gaz. However, I am comfortable with my assumptions and my ability to interpret stats.

In terms of SL you need to compare the overall quality of the competition AND as you say the quality of the Wigan playing squad. To not include both renders any interpretation as weak to meaningless.

So lets start with SL in 2013. Would it be fair to say the competition as a whole has never been weaker in recent times? Last 10, last 5 years ? What do you think MPE?
1st it was late when I wrote ANDY Flower - my brain mixed cricket and RL!!
The thing I meant about stats is that if your opinion is formed before you use them, you'll usually find something to support your view (e.g. politicians and advertisers).
I do tend to agree that SL is weaker BUT this is an opinion. If it's true then it may be because we have lost players to union and the NRL and the quality and quantity of imports is down. This would apply to Wigan and to the rest of SL. If so, we should, imo, judge Wane by how he performs with the materials he has to work with rather than by comparison with Madge (or John Monie etc).
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'd say you could make a strong argument that we are weaker than in 2011 due to the quality of personnel we have lost. However, I'm not sure you could say the same of all the teams in SL, most have very similar squads to 2011 albeit a bit older. Very few players have gone to the NRL so far - more are set to go.

I couldn't say that SL has got significantly weaker between 2011 and 2013. However, its on the path to being weaker in the future. Id say right now the comp is roughly similar for Wane as it was for Maguire - so the stats are compatible.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Re: A post I wasted. Thought I would share it with TRUE RL fans

Post by morley pie eater »

cpwigan wrote:
The Hub Cap Morley is what most RL fans refer to the League Leaders Trophy as because it looks like one. The tough titty was tough titty on ME. I know I go on and it is late but you need to read the posts which I know you could do with ease at a more 'normal' time etc.

I just say things as I find them without becoming personal towards others I hope and yes I am thick skinned etc.

Whether we agree or not, the RFL organise SL in such a way that the League Leaders is a token gesture nothing more. I discussed this with several fans face to face recently and as one stated, the original play off system was better whilst IMO whatever system is used it should favour the League Leaders heavily and make it as easy as possible for the team finishing 1st to get into the Grand Final. Fans need to be aware that most clubs would rather rest players / use some youngsters than field their best team week in week out and put everything into the League Leaders. No matter what I or anybody else thinks, the LL is not seen as comparable with winning the CC or the SL GF. The most ardent Wane advocates need to remember that Wane himself saw 2012 as a FAILURE. He said it HIMSELF. IL does not view the LL alone as acceptable either.
You do like to go into a lot of detail cp! My point wqas that both you and Whelley used sarcasm in a humourous way, which I think is perfectly ok, and not a personal attack. I didn't see the need for "God" to spring to your defence.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐