Our form is a worry.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pie eater and proud of it

Our form is a worry.

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

Not posted on here for a long time, felt the need tonight.

Yes we lost, no big deal though with the structure of super league as it is.

I am more concerned with our form. Its the same as last year !

Go back to the away game at Wakefield, I thought we were lucky to win it. Then we pipped Widnes albeit with the kids playing. Lost at Wire with a great performance then the debacle that was Cas at home.

We then robbed Bradford at our place before demolishing Widnes in the cup.

I dont know what has gone wrong, we are stuttering bigtime and it is a concern.

The semi against London is by no means a done deal, although I feel a Wigan backlash may be the order of the day.

I fear for the play offs though and I definately fear Wire if we make it to Wembley.

Troubled times at the moment.

DaveO

Re: Our form is a worry.

Post by DaveO »

As I mentioned on another thread I think the poor form is down at least in part to not having a settled side.

I can't remember the last time we fielded what could be considered our first team and it must be a while since we were unchanged from one week to the next.

With injuries this was unavoidable but now I think Wane has to try and pick a settled side.

If he rested players tonight particularly Lockers who can't be match fit and needed the practice IMO he has over thought it again. Wane also needs to get it out of his head Sam is leaving and he has to watch every possible replacement between now and the end of the season. It is IMO too disruptive.

The same happened last season after Tommy was injured. The side was very unsettled positionally. Not as bad as this as we had fewer injuries but the team stopped looking like a team who knew each other and it looks like that again.
jolleymike

Post by jolleymike »

DaveO wrote:As I mentioned on another thread I think the poor form is down at least in part to not having a settled side.

I can't remember the last time we fielded what could be considered our first team and it must be a while since we were unchanged from one week to the next.

With injuries this was unavoidable but now I think Wane has to try and pick a settled side.

If he rested players tonight particularly Lockers who can't be match fit and needed the practice IMO he has over thought it again. Wane also needs to get it out of his head Sam is leaving and he has to watch every possible replacement between now and the end of the season. It is IMO too disruptive.

The same happened last season after Tommy was injured. The side was very unsettled positionally. Not as bad as this as we had fewer injuries but the team stopped looking like a team who knew each other and it looks like that again.

I think it goes beyond individual players, if you go back to basic rugby, a
Pack that goes forward sets a platform for the backs to create there magic, tonight stains snuffed out our pack with bullyboy tactics and out forwards fell for it, no go forward, players under pressure basic rugby says that mistakes will happen

Ill say it again and will say it when ever asked, " if your packs going forward and dominant in defence the you will score tries"

Wigans pack ain't going forward and are losing the collision with the defence so are losing field position
markill

Post by markill »

The one time our pack did get forward helped create the space for Charnley's 2nd try. Crosby made a half break, fast POTB, good direct run from Faz, fast POTB, we finally had some space for our players to move into and play...plus a great offload from Hampshire
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

The way I see it is that if Lockers is playing everyone is settled and each player will take the opportunity to get a try, without him in the team they look for someone else to take the ball over the line. It comes down to the simple fact is that he's our leader and without him we have no plan b
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I dont know why Wigan is all of a sudden playing one man rugby in the middle all that is needed basic rugby and pass it acoss the line
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Me thinks it's a late attempt to get 5th place...........well it works for Leeds...... and with no other obvious plan perhaps it's worth a punt