Thursday Night Games

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Owd Codger

Re: Thursday Night Games

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote: The RFL & Sky are doin their damnedest to turn away supporters & ruin our fantastic game!!

Does my fecking head in :angry: :angry:
Josie, you are spot on and I already know two supporters who since the new's on Sky are not getting a season ticket next season and if this happens at all other club's, we will see even more lower attendances.

In my opinion, it is also wrong for Sky to have introduced Monday night and now Thursday games in the present season when supporters have bought season tickets in the belief that games would all be on the weekend times of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. In my case, it has meant me losing money on my season ticket as a result of a game being switched to Monday and I will also now miss the home game with Leeds due to other commitments.
markill

Post by markill »

the mid-season switch is frustrating and hard to plan around, it should have been announced at the start of the season and the potentially affected fixtures highlighted. the Monday night games should have been expected this season because they were brought in last season and sky/RFL/clubs were obviously happy with it.

in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
curryman

Post by curryman »

"When I first subscribed to Sky many years ago I used to get two top flight English RL matches per weekend, a lower league game on a thursday night, and a couple of aussie RL games"

I am glad that someone else other than me has noticed this. Sky also had SoO series and the NRL Grand Final, they have now replaced the lot with endless hours of "Super Rugby" (union) with teams you've never heard of from NZ and South Africa.

Sky's RL coverage gets worse by the month. It is now predominantly Leeds-centric, Rhinos games are on twice as often as any other team. They now use Super League as filler for slots where they had other matches, like the Championship on a Thursday night.

As for their magazine programmes, they are ok. A cheap alternative to actually showing games, but better than nothing. Their highlights show, however is third rate. I have written to them on more than one occasion with the simple question, when showing highlights, why do you tell us the score and what happened in the game before you show us the action ? One thing Match of the Day gets right is the format of showing the action first before they tell you the score. Its called keeping some excitement in it.

I am yet to get a reply from Sky, which is no surprise to anyone.

Its probably prep for when Union becomes a Summer game and Sky will want the Super League slots to show Saracens v Wasps type garbage.

I took out extra subscription to Premier for the Summer, resentfully at first as I took out Sky to get the sport that is now an extra charge for Premier. But since I got it, I have reached the conclusion that its much better value for money than Sky Sports. If you could get it without a Sky Sports subscription, I would kick Sky into touch at the next play the ball.

Premier's coverage of the NRL is brilliant, every minute of every game in every round, as they say. Plus the SoO series and Grand Final, including full match re-runs of classic past encounters you probably haven't seen before. Plus the Championship. Its a dedicated RL channel and I now think that the sooner the Super League moves to the Premier Channel the better.
curryman

Post by curryman »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote: The RFL & Sky are doin their damnedest to turn away supporters & ruin our fantastic game!!

Josie, you are spot on and I already know two supporters who since the new's on Sky are not getting a season ticket next season and if this happens at all other club's, we will see even more lower attendances.

In my opinion, it is also wrong for Sky to have introduced Monday night and now Thursday games in the present season when supporters have bought season tickets in the belief that games would all be on the weekend times of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. In my case, it has meant me losing money on my season ticket as a result of a game being switched to Monday and I will also now miss the home game with Leeds due to other commitments.
I am in total agreement. I am seething about the Leeds game. I do not live in Wigan and work commitments mean I cannot travel over on a Thursday (or a Monday), I can only manage Friday and weekends. On top of this, the Leeds game was scheduled for my birthday, September 6th and I had plans in place to start the evening at the DW and take it from there. Now my birthday plans have been ruined and I am going to miss the game. For what ? Because Sky used to show the Championship on Thursdays but decided to screw their subscribers and drop this league. There are also moves afoot for rugby union to move to a Summer format, so I guess they are prepping us for the time when Wasps and Saracens will be the Friday evening rugby and RL will be in a minor slot on a Monday or a Thursday night
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

curryman wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

I am in total agreement. I am seething about the Leeds game. I do not live in Wigan and work commitments mean I cannot travel over on a Thursday (or a Monday), I can only manage Friday and weekends. On top of this, the Leeds game was scheduled for my birthday, September 6th and I had plans in place to start the evening at the DW and take it from there. Now my birthday plans have been ruined and I am going to miss the game. For what ? Because Sky used to show the Championship on Thursdays but decided to screw their subscribers and drop this league. There are also moves afoot for rugby union to move to a Summer format, so I guess they are prepping us for the time when Wasps and Saracens will be the Friday evening rugby and RL will be in a minor slot on a Monday or a Thursday night
I think you may be right there.

If this happens I will cancel Sky & watch the games online that I don't/can't attend & probably get Virgin or this new BT thing, I'm sure one of them must show Premier sports!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

josie andrews wrote: If this happens I will cancel Sky & watch the games online that I don't/can't attend & probably get Virgin or this new BT thing, I'm sure one of them must show Premier sports!
Well don't get Virgin, they have no plans to show Premier Sports, I have been with them for ages and enquired when it would be happening "no time soon" was the reply
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

southernpie wrote:
josie andrews wrote: If this happens I will cancel Sky & watch the games online that I don't/can't attend & probably get Virgin or this new BT thing, I'm sure one of them must show Premier sports!
Well don't get Virgin, they have no plans to show Premier Sports, I have been with them for ages and enquired when it would be happening "no time soon" was the reply
Thank you for that info :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

curryman wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

In my opinion, it is also wrong for Sky to have introduced Monday night and now Thursday games in the present season when supporters have bought season tickets in the belief that games would all be on the weekend times of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. In my case, it has meant me losing

money on my season ticket as a result of a game being switched to Monday and I will also now miss the home game with Leeds due to other commitments.

If Union is moving to the summer, it looks as if your claims are not only right but Sky demoting their coverage of our game to a level like Speedway which is shown only in mid week.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

In actual fact, Sky are NOT showing any RU Club games next season, only matches from the Heineken Cup, of which there are a lot of French/Irish games, of little interest to the UK public.

Bt have got the rights to show union league games such as Saracens, Wasps, Sale, etc. next season onwards.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Nezza Faz wrote:In actual fact, Sky are NOT showing any RU Club games next season, only matches from the Heineken Cup, of which there are a lot of French/Irish games, of little interest to the UK public.

Bt have got the rights to show union league games such as Saracens, Wasps, Sale, etc. next season onwards.
It can only be for football then!