Warriors Name Squad to Face Rovers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Name Squad to Face Rovers

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane has today named his 19 man squad to face Hull KR in Super League at the DW Stadium on Friday night, 8pm kick off.

Gil Dudson misses out with a slight hip problem but as expected Ben Flower is named in the 19 despite picking up a minor hamstring problem in the Semi-Final win over London.

Wigan have left out Pat Richards and Liam Farrell for the game but young winger Joe Burgess is included in the First Team squad for the first time. Joe is 18 years old and can also play in the Centre and is the latest young player to be given an opportunity by Shaun Wane. Joe has been training with the First Team all season and in the Under 19's this season has scored 22 tries in 16 appearances. Also back in the Wigan squad is prop Epalahame Lauaki after recovering from injury.

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad ( in alphabetical order.)

Joe Burgess, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, Darrell Goulding, Blake Green, Harrison Hansen, Jack Hughes, Epalahame Lauaki, Michael McIlorum, Lee Mossop, Sean O'Loughlin, Sam Powell, Matty Smith, Scott Taylor, Logan Tomkins, Sam Tomkins, Chris Tuson.

Referee - Richard Silverwood

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 495&type=1
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Re: Warriors Name Squad to Face Rovers

Post by cpwigan »

It will be a good opportunity for many fans to see Burgess. He is still 'raw' but his speed / build are perfect.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Good opportunity for the lad... HKR have an eye on the Hull Derby soon too but I suppose will want to make sure they get into the top 8.

We should win though
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
markill

Post by markill »

I was saying Richards and Farrell would be the ones I would think about resting this week. No point picking Flower if his hamstring isn't totally right either. Mossop, Taylor, Crosby and Lauaki are good enough as front row options I'd say.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane has today named his 19 man squad to face Hull KR in Super League at the DW Stadium on Friday night, 8pm kick off.

Gil Dudson misses out with a slight hip problem but as expected Ben Flower is named in the 19 despite picking up a minor hamstring problem in the Semi-Final win over London.

Wigan have left out Pat Richards and Liam Farrell for the game but young winger Joe Burgess is included in the First Team squad for the first time. Joe is 18 years old and can also play in the Centre and is the latest young player to be given an opportunity by Shaun Wane. Joe has been training with the First Team all season and in the Under
19's this season has scored 22 tries in 16 appearances. Also back in the Wigan squad is prop Epalahame Lauaki after recovering from injury.

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad ( in alphabetical order.)

Joe Burgess, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, Darrell Goulding, Blake Green, Harrison Hansen, Jack Hughes, Epalahame Lauaki, Michael McIlorum, Lee Mossop, Sean O'Loughlin, Sam Powell, Matty Smith, Scott Taylor, Logan Tomkins, Sam Tomkins, Chris Tuson.

Referee - Richard Silverwood

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 495&type=1
also Ian Thornley is left out
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Iain is playing for Leigh this week :(
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

josie andrews wrote:Iain is playing for Leigh this week :(
Strange one!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jobo

Post by jobo »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Iain is playing for Leigh this week :(
Strange one!!
He can't send Gelling so needs to give him some game time I suppose.

Personally, I'd say that between Gelling and Thornley, Thornley is the better centre and although I don't expect the coaching staff to listen to me, reckon the wise thing would be to stick with Thornley through to the end of the season.

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Bloody Hell! It was only a matter of weeks ago he was being called lazy and poor defensively.

Neither player is that consistent to warrant a regular centre spot but seeing as the all round laziness of Thornley is probably deemed "more of a sin" by the coaching staff than the general handling errors/poor positionl play of Gelling you can see why one is playing for Leigh and the other is in Wigan's squad
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
josie andrews

Shaun Previews Rovers Clash

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are back in Super League action this Friday night at the DW Stadium against 6th placed Hull KR, the game has an 8pm kick off.

Wigan are looking to build on their Cup Semi-Final win over London against the Robins as the Warriors battle it out to try and regain top spot in the League table.

Looking ahead to the game Head Coach Shaun Wane told us he has been impressed with the Robins have been performing in recent weeks,

"They are worthy of their position in the competition and they are playing really well. They have some good players in their team and the win on Easter Monday (when Wigan won by 84-6 at MS 3 Craven Park) counts for nothing leading into this one, what is important is their last few results and performances, they are hitting some good form.

"We will need to be at our best this weekend, all the players have looked at video at what Hull KR can do and they do have some quality players."

Shaun has impressed on the players that they must put the Cup Final on the backburner and it is how the players perform in the next three weeks as to who will earn their place in the Wembley game against Hull FC, he added,

"I will look to give the players a chance and will use the next three games to give everyone a chance to put their hand up and give themselves an opportunity to play in that game. There are some places up for grabs and the best will play.

"We now have three important games, Hull KR, Huddersfield and Catalan and those are what we need to concentrate on now. We have put ourselves in a good position to try and retain the League Leaders Shield but we are not at the top of the competition at the moment, that belongs to Huddersfield and they deserve that. We have Huddersfield in a couple of weeks but the first and most important is Hull KR. All I am thinking about is Friday night and I want us to be at our best."

Wigan include young winger Joe Burgess in the squad and Epalahame Lauaki also returns to the 19 for the clash.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news