Wane contract EXTENDED

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: Wane contract EXTENDED

Post by Nezza Faz »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Wes wrote:heard that Sam wants to stay a couple of years, what are the chances if any of him being a 1 club man?
Wants to stay at Wigan for a couple of years?

.........or longer !! If pos !
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Anyone recall after the Hull KR match, the game announcer mentioned there would be some announcements made during the Hudds game ?
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Well that would be a big boost for Fridays game to announce Sam and Waney staying and give us a big push for the games in the next month!!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

As far as I am concerned, Maguire only came here on a short term contract in order to gain experience for himself to get a first team coaching job in Australia while at the same time help the club improve the technical side of coaching in the Wigan squad and also help Wane to become first team coach after his departure

What was I suspect was planned to be only a three year contract ended up as only a two year one after being poached by Russell Crowe.

Other Aussies like Elliott at Bradford, Morgan at Hull KR etc have done the same over the year's.

Others from Australia will follow.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:As far as I am concerned, Maguire only came here on a short term contract in order to gain experience for himself to get a first team coaching job in Australia while at the same time help the club improve the technical side of coaching in the Wigan squad and also help Wane to become first team coach after his departure

What was I suspect was planned to be only a three year contract ended up as only a two year one after being poached by Russell Crowe.
I think Wane was always pencilled in to take over from Madge and I don't think anyone expected Madge to be here longer than his three years.

I was very disappointed he left after two as I felt that wasn't long enough to get the way he did things ingrained into the club and I also felt another year under Madge would have brought another major trophy.

As to helping Wane become a first team coach, Wane thought he knew better than Madge anyway so if Madge helping him to be first team coach was part of the plan Wane wasn't up for listening.
Other Aussies like Elliott at Bradford, Morgan at Hull KR etc have done the same over the year's.

Others from Australia will follow.
Given the NRL is awash with cash I can't see top coaches (even assitant ones as Madge was) coming here in the same way as in the past when we were able to entice the likes of Monie over here. UK clubs may not be constrained by what they can pay coaches by the salary cap but they just aren't that rich compared to NRL clubs these days nor will they be offering quality players to coach with the best ones heading the other way to the NRL.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Well that would be a big boost for Fridays game to announce Sam and Waney staying and give us a big push for the games in the next month!!
If it is announced Sam is going to see his contract out I'd be over the moon. I'd be even happier if Wane was off to the NZW !! :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:Well that would be a big boost for Fridays game to announce Sam and Waney staying and give us a big push for the games in the next month!!
If it is announced Sam is going to see his contract out I'd be over the moon. I'd be even happier if Wane was off to the NZW !! :lol:
Is your problem with Wane a personal one?
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:Obviously not confirmed but my source is right 99% of the time. It may be the good news (Wane) / Bad news (Sam) ploy that IL likes to utilise. I would prefer the good news to be A quality signing AND Wane.
will it be that options on Wane, Hansen and Gelling all taken up?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

I think the same Whelley Warrior; DaveO's remarks on Wane do seem personal. Dave should take his own advice and change his record. We all know of his adoration for Madge and his feelings towards Wane. Give it a rest it detracts from his obvious knowledge of our game which I for one value finally I'll add his ubiquitous use of IMO...... :D (no offence intended) I also agree with his comments on the 1985 2013 post. I was there to and my man of the match was Peter Sterling :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Is your problem with Wane a personal one?
I don't have a "problem" with Wane but I do have an opinion on his ability as a coach. That comment was in part tongue in cheek in that I have expected him to be coach next season for some time.

Perhaps I'd better express myself by saying I wouldn't lose any sleep if he did leave simply because I don't think he is that good a coach.