Wane. Brilliant Strategist or Bumbling Idiot?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Wane. Brilliant Strategist or Bumbling Idiot?

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm confused after tonight!

We've lost the hubcap tonight but if that had been the only thing we'd won, current thinking would call it a failed season.

We are still in with a chance of the 2 Trophies which matter. If we win one, our season will be a success. If we win both, Wane will be our most successful coach in the SL era.

So will we take to the Wembley pitch with our strongest side and key players fully rested?

Has Wane's strategy left us with more in the tank than in previous seasons-enough to carry us to the Grand Final?
thegimble

Re: Wane. Brilliant Strategist or Bumbling Idiot?

Post by thegimble »

Kittwazzer wrote:I'm confused after tonight!

We've lost the hubcap tonight but if that had been the only thing we'd won, current thinking would call it a failed season.

We are still in with a chance of the 2 Trophies which matter. If we win one, our season will be a success. If we win both, Wane will be our most successful coach in the SL era.

So will we take to the Wembley pitch with our strongest side and key players fully rested?

Has Wane's strategy left us with more in the tank than in previous seasons-enough to carry us to the Grand Final?
No - The pack looked out of the game after half time. We are looking an average side mid table without the best players. We had nothing in the tank and our props apart from Taylor got battered.

For the final i would go with Crosby, Flower, Dudson and Taylor. Mossop is ajoke and Lauaki needs a hair cut and a ban.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Only 2 games truly matters and as yet we are one of only 2 teams that can win them both. If he fails though then it will not bode well.

The Wane game plan strategy is crap BTW IMO.
loyalbelfast

Post by loyalbelfast »

wot the hell happened to-nite, wot does A Wigan player need to get motivated & play at his best week in week out

To-nites review e.g

Farrell from his man of steel contention?

Mossop? His head is on the Quantas seat!

Green's kicking?

Lauaki - Don't get me started !!

Taylor - good shift

Charnley - wonder wonder try but his achilles is his defence

Goulding - not seen at his best to-nite for a BIG game

McAlorum - not seen at his best to-nite for a BIG game

Richards - not seen at his best to-nite for a BIG game

Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

loyalbelfast wrote:wot the hell happened to-nite, wot does A Wigan player need to get motivated & play at his best week in week out

To-nites review e.g

Farrell from his man of steel contention?

Mossop? His head is on the Quantas seat!

Green's kicking?

Lauaki - Don't get me started !!

Taylor - good shift

Charnley - wonder wonder try but his achilles is his defence

Goulding - not seen at his best to-nite for a BIG game

McAlorum - not seen at his best to-nite for a BIG game

Richards - not seen at his best to-nite for a BIG game

Well................. Green is having a really tough time. His defence is good but he seems to be short of ideas and confidence.

The real problem seems to be that the attacking triangle of Smith, Green and O'Loughlin with Sam joining in seems to be the only time that we play properly and can beat anybody. If some components of that are missing - we just look ordinary.

Micky Mac is in danger of losing his head again. I'd rest virtually everyone against Catalans - concentrate on the final and settle for finishing third in the League and then mount a proper campaign for the Grand Final.

I think that Mossop will come good in the Final and later - Flower should definitely start. Taylor looks the real deal. I hope we will come good. SW's job might just depend on this.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

To be fair to Wane he can only be judged at the end of the season, no one remembers who beat who in round 24 and as was shown last year no one really remembers or cares who finishes top of the league.

If Wigan win the Challenge Cup or the Grand Final the 2013 season will be remembered for that. Resting players for the right time of the season is important but what is more important is going into games playing well with good form, something that Wigan are lacking at the moment.

AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Every chance we could finish 4th.

Wembley is obviously key, win that then play strongest team every week and hooefully go unbeatn for half a dozen games or so.

Easy :conf:
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

Lets be honest :), Wane is Brilliant, so what we finish 3rd :), we win challenge cup and the only advantage of finishing top is you get the choice of who you want to plsy :)
dave_highfive1

Post by dave_highfive1 »

A good Wigan coach:

1. Only rest players in easy games.

2. Keep the same first team all season if possible. Swap out for injuries.

3. Concentrate on forwards making the yards. Take pressure off the backs to do their work.

4. We must have had a large deficit in salary cap for sometime. I agree with Wigan youth, but bring in a couple of high quality overseas players.

5. Win BIG games on the back of all the above.

Why cant SW do any of the above?????

It is blatantly obvious to a numerous amount of people on this forum that he doesn't do the right thing!

Should we really risk another season with him???
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

RobWigan wrote:Lets be honest :), Wane is Brilliant, so what we finish 3rd :), we win challenge cup and the only advantage of finishing top is you get the choice of who you want to plsy :)
You could just be right there Rob. Tonight didn't count for jackshit, neither does next week's game against Catalan

It's the week after that matters. Presumably Hull FC will be analysing our last half dozen games in preparation.

I'm reserving judgment now until after Wembley

Allez Catalan.! :lol: