Wane. Brilliant Strategist or Bumbling Idiot?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wane. Brilliant Strategist or Bumbling Idiot?

Post by DaveO »

"Wane. Brilliant Strategist or Bumbling Idiot?"

From his comments on the BBC web site:

"We are playing some good stuff."

That gets my vote for bumbling idiot.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrDave wrote:If Wigan win the Challenge Cup or the Grand Final the 2013 season will be remembered for that.
It's difficult to argue against that. It is after all what the game is all about, winning the major trophies and if we get one he can say mission accomplished.

However most people on here are kind of students of the game at least a bit and will they really consign some of the obvious problems with the team to the back of their minds if we have a successful 80mins v Hull?

A CC win will give us plenty of bragging rights and keep the trolls at bay but will it mask deeper problems?

I think the CC is win or bust for Wigan this season. I don't think we are going to get any form good enough for the play-offs and for the final we have to hope Hull's new found form and confidence slips and they live up to (or is is that downto ?) their league position.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Was travelling back from Bulgaria tonight so not watched the match but it's obvious both finals are priority and these league games mean nothing. Personally i hate losing any game and get annoyed when players get rested but can see why it's done.
Our main problem is that we lack leadership on the pitch without Lockers, until we sort this out we'll lose games like this when we rest players
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
MrDave wrote:If Wigan win the Challenge Cup or the Grand Final the 2013 season will be remembered for that.
It's difficult to argue against that. It is after all what the game is all about, winning the major trophies and if we get one he can say mission accomplished.

However most people on here are kind of students of the game at least a bit and will they really consign some of the obvious problems with the team to the back of their minds if we have a successful 80mins v Hull?

A CC win will give us plenty of bragging rights and keep the trolls at bay but will it mask deeper problems?

I think the CC is win or bust for Wigan this season. I don't think we are going to get any form good enough for the play-offs and for the final we have to hope Hull's new found form and confidence slips and they live up to (or is is that downto ?) their league position.
Dave. I'm sure Wigan could win the CCF, GF, FA Cup, Champions League, Croix de Guerre, DSO and Bar and you would still sit up all night desperate to find a negative! :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Dave. I'm sure Wigan could win the CCF, GF, FA Cup, Champions League, Croix de Guerre, DSO and Bar and you would still sit up all night desperate to find a negative! :lol:
Come on. Have a look at my posts following the wins of 2010 and 2011. Do you think as Wane does "We are playing some good stuff."?

We have been lucky with the draw in the CC and getting Hull in the final that is not negative, it's just stating the truth.

Like you I do actually think we can beat Hull if we get the right team on the pitch which will include Sam and Lockers and won't include Lauaki (who if not banned I think Wane will play because its Hull).

I've got my tickets and I ain't driving all that way to indulge any masochistic tendencies I can assure you.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote: It's difficult to argue against that. It is after all what the game is all about, winning the major trophies and if we get one he can say mission accomplished.

Come on. Have a look at my posts following the wins of 2010 and 2011. Do you think as Wane does "We are playing some good stuff."?

We have been lucky with the draw in the CC and getting Hull in the final that is not negative, it's just stating the truth.

Like you I do actually think we can beat Hull if we get the right team on the pitch which will include Sam and Lockers and won't include Lauaki (who if not banned I think Wane will play because its Hull).

I've got my tickets and I ain't driving all that way to indulge any masochistic tendencies I can assure you.

Fair enough and yes, we have had the easiest route ever.

That said, Wane had no say in the draw. He can only play the hands he's dealt.

If we beat Hull, he will have been more successful in his second season than he was in his first when he only won the LLS (or Championship as we used to remember it!)

If he doesn't, then I will see how we shape in the playoffs.

ATM, it is too early to condemn him.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

DaveO wrote:

I would agree that the Challenge Cup final is make or break for Wigan.

Personally I think Wigan are lucky to make the final, they defiantly don't look like play-off contenders at the moment. A win at Wembley will mean a lot to Hull and Wigan's lack of ability to control a game makes me think it will be a lot tougher than some people are expecting, league position counts for nothing in the Challenge Cup final.

If Wigan lose the Challenge Cup final it defiantly puts a lot of pressure on Wane as we have already lost the league. It would bring into question his squad selection and strategy throughout the season...In that area I think Leeds, Wire and Saints are defiantly ahead of Wigan.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrDave wrote:
It would bring into question his squad selection and strategy throughout the season...In that area I think Leeds, Wire and Saints are defiantly ahead of Wigan.
I'd be interested to know what you mean when you say the above.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Have to say the team played "upside down" if you know what I mean. At scrums we had forwards lining up at first receiver and in the threequarters and when driving the ball from our line our backs were driving for the hard yards!

At one point we had Hansen and Logan out of the scrum ffs, what is the idea behind that scrum attack?

Far too much dropped ball again, poor attitude ambling around the pitch, poor kicking early in the tackle counts, weak tackling, the list literally does go on and on and almost every player is not devoid of some stupid/irresponsible play during that game

Not fair to pick out the bad players as there were far too many to count. You would have thought from watching the game it was a run-of-the-mill mid-table clash that meant nothing to Wigan from the lack of urgency to every ball, scrum, etc
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Dave. I'm sure Wigan could win the CCF, GF, FA Cup, Champions League, Croix de Guerre, DSO and Bar and you
would still sit up all night desperate to find a negative! :lol:
You missed out the FA Premiership but you are spot on otherwise!