Frankie Parr

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Frankie Parr

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Kittwazzer wrote:Pardon the pun, but that was par for the course in those days. Scrum half's job was to wind up the opposition and try to to throw them off their game. Smaller the scrum half the better as there was always a big lad watching over them.

Best example would probably be the partnership between Murphy & Karalius!

And of course, everyone knows about the sparring between Bradshaw and Whitcomb at Wembley!!

Happy days indeed!!
I remember one televised game between Salford and Cardiff (I think).
The BBC showed the game with Stevie Nash (Salford No7), taking a stiff arm on the jaw from Paul Ring (ex Welsh Internationa Rugby Union, so called hard man).
Nash was on the deck being rubbed by the freezing cold sponge, shaking his head to the sponge man.
The game passed for another 20 minutes which then showed a lovely flowing passing move which included Paul Ring.
The move stopped and the camera went back to the centre of the pitch, and Paul Ring was lying unconcious on the centre spot. He was stretchered of, still out cold.
You can guess which scrum half caught Ring just as he was passing the ball. I think Ring retired from Rugby League shortly after that.
Morale of the story, never pick on a nasty little scrum half, or do it at your peril.
DaveJB

Post by DaveJB »

I remember Frankie he used to be in our "gang" in Beech Hill. I seem to remember he was going out with a girl named Joan Sinclare. Is this right or have I got the name wrong. If I am right did they get married. My name is David Bolton
DaveJB

Post by DaveJB »

Did your father used to go out with a girl called Joan from Beech Hill in Wigan? :doz:
bonnieboy

Post by bonnieboy »

Did Frankie play in the same team as Dave Bolton.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bonnieboy wrote:Did Frankie play in the same team as Dave Bolton.
Yes!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kittwazzer wrote:
bonnieboy wrote:Did Frankie play in the same team as Dave Bolton.
Yes. Early 60s!
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

Wazp,
when your dad played for Wigan he was living just off Twist Lane/Plank Lane in Leigh I think it was called Sandersons Croft, he worked for the Direct labour Highways in his playing days, and often come into the Town hall to help us surveyors
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Frankie Parr was one of the best Scrum Halves ever to play for the club between the 3/4/1961 and 30/4/1972.

Made 309 appearances, scored 95 tries and 15 goals.

Appeared in three Cup Finals in 1965,1966 and 1970.

Was a friend of the pop star Georgie Fame who was in the same class as him at school and who appeared for him in his Testimonial game.

After leaving Wigan Council, he became a coalman.

Married a girl called Joan who worked for Wigan Council in the Social Services Department.

Belting lad, both on and off the field.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

lived on Beech Hill Lane same as Kevin and Keiron O'L can't spell it Apologies :) [/i]
Ken

Post by Ken »

Frank Parr was a top man, he would get the ball from the scrum shake his head and off he went,
Ken Blinston