Thornley or Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mario

Re: Thornley or Gelling

Post by mario »

I was never a fan of Vaealiki, but he did make breaks, maybe not often, but he did.
His problems weren't down to any injury, it would have made a big difference if he'd concentrated on the game, rather than look at the floor.
Matthew

Re: Thornley or Gelling

Post by Matthew »

My memory of the worst signing in Wigan's recent history (on a cost vs return basis) is the same as Butt Monkey's.

DV suffered a serious injury just before signing; however he came over anyway. From day one he was never on the pace, he looked disinterested, lazy and slow - apart from a try against stains in the closing weeks of his last season where he bumped off slug, his highlight reel would be incredibly short - I certainly don't remember "breaks" being plural.

For me, Thornley is more of a resemblance of Karl Pryce than DV(although not as bad as either) - big guy who doesn't run his weight. Gelling is the more dangerous of the two - however he is dangerous for Wigan as well and does drop the ball too much.

On recent form (in as much as we don't have any), I am concerned about how we are going to score points. When we played Hull earlier in the season, we only just beat them - and that was during our demolition days. My concern is that if they shut down Sam and Josh (and SOL doesn't play/isn't up to speed), it won't matter how many points we concede due to Gelling's errors, we won't score any at the other end.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------