Why we are playing poorly!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
RobWigan

Re: Why we are playing poorly!!!

Post by RobWigan »

My way of being a fan is i will say we will win even before going into it, we WILL beat Hull and instead of trying to pick holes in our team and coach, I understand peoples grievances, but can we put it on hold until 5pm on Saturday and get behind the boys??
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

RobWigan wrote:As i havw said a few times already, what happens if we win Saturday and win the grand final, you still want him sacked???
I would. We sacked Clarke and McInnes after beating Hull in 1985 so why not? We sacked Dorahay in 1994 after winning it then.

If we win Saturday it won't be because of Wane but despite him IMO. I have said why I think this often enough so I won't repeat it again but that is my opinion.

If we do win I am sure he won't be sacked despite the fact he should be. IL is too much of a political animal for that. He does not want to be cast in the same mould as Mo for sacking coaches.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

imo the both sides in the debate about Wane are part right/part wrong:
Yes, Madge achieved more ... BUT the knockers should acknowledge that he had better players, and some failures (eg play-off performance in his 2nd season). Wane has done the right thing by publically backing young players coming in, but, in reality, he's had no choice but to play them in many instances.
Up until June we played better than anyone had a right to expect; now maybe the bubble has burst, partly due to injuries/confidence and possibly tactics as cp so comprehensively explains.
I agree that, as fans of the greatest club ever, we have a right to expect at least one trophy every season ... but am disturbed by so much talk of sacking the coach during the week leading up to Wembley.
The jury may still be out on SW, but given time and support (like Ferguson got in his early years), he will have chance to learn from mistakes and improve his management/tactics/decision making. That support needs to come from IL, the players, and supporters -hence the name!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

In responce to Kitt's post I would add it's a dissertation worthy of a P.HD. Brilliant exposition and well presented by CP. I can't argue with what you say BUT I will leave my judgement on SW till the end of season. I hope what the FAN IN BLACKPOOL posted elsewhere is the case. Any way for all our sakes I just hope we win the cup. As for the GF I'm having a bet on SAINTS :exc:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I thought this might be worth bumping, in the afterglow of a comprehensive victory, based on conservative possession rugby. Maybe Wane read this and saw the
Iight? Certainly, he unveiled a different style from the last 2 months and out coached Gentle.
Bring on the play offs.
markill

Post by markill »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I thought this might be worth bumping, in the afterglow of a comprehensive victory, based on conservative possession rugby. Maybe Wane read this and saw the
Iight? Certainly, he unveiled a different style from the last 2 months and out coached Gentle.
Bring on the play offs.
I'm not sure he out coached Gentle. Hull's defense was the match of ours and Gentle didn't make the errors on the ptch. But it did show that Wane and the players can play the kind of rugby that can win this kind of game and I'm totally made up that was the case.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

mickw wrote:Both teams defence was better than their attack,its great to win the cup and nil the opposition but we need to markedly improve our attacking play to win the GF,I hope this kicks us on.
Ironically no we have to do nothing more than we just did yesterday. GF usually is about the team that plays the conditions and kicks well and controls the speed of the game. This is why Leeds usually wins it as they have more than 1 option to their game. Wire do not and i am yet to be convinced by the Giants.

Conditions yesterday were poor all game and attacks usually struggle so to have a plan B is important and the kicking game by Smith and Green killed Hull in the first 30 minutes. Hull got a lot taken out of them and apart from the break by their FB when you look at the game again they never threatened to do anything or take control of the game.

Defense wins the GF and if we defend like that we might have a shot at it. But i do not think that anyside cold play as badly attack wise as Hull were yesterday. But if our defense plays like that it will take a good side to get past us.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Are they better though? Last time I looked Leeds had just lost to HKR and Wire to Widnes, both of whom we beat en route to Wembley. No other team has thrashed Lomdonas we did. No other team has beaten FC at all for a while or by as much at all by that margin this year. FC beat Wire to get there.
I don't think we should worry too much about other teams - play as well as we can and we'll win the GF.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

mickw wrote:
thegimble wrote:
mickw wrote:Both teams defence was better than their attack,its great to win the cup and nil the opposition but we need to markedly improve our attacking play to win the GF,I hope this kicks us on.
Ironically no we have to do nothing more than we just did yesterday. GF usually is about the team that plays the conditions and kicks well and controls the speed of the game. This is why Leeds usually wins it as they have more than 1 option to their game. Wire do not and i am yet to be convinced by the Giants.

Conditions yesterday were poor all game and attacks usually struggle so to have a plan B is important and the kicking game by Smith and Green killed Hull in the first 30 minutes. Hull got a lot taken out of them and apart from the break by their FB when you look at the game again they never threatened to do anything or take control of the game.

Defense wins the GF and if we defend like that we might have a shot at it. But i do not think that anyside cold play as badly attack wise as Hull were yesterday. But if our defense plays like that it will take a good side to get past us.
a lot of that is true but wire,Leeds,saints and hudds are all better teams than hull,im not taking anything away from yesterdays performance I would have gladly taken that before kick off but if we attack like that with the amount of possession we had we,ll struggle to win the GF.
I agree but look at it this way are Leeds better than any of the top 4 the last 2 years. Playing fancy rugby and not having another game plan does not work. We have the kicking game in the wet to punish sides and that something we have not had in a long time. Huddersfield look impressive but in the CC when Wire put them under pressure they buckled the same way Wire do when Leeds play them.

As we all know the table means little and only thing that matters is making the play offs with a decent fit side and we have a chance.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

thegimble wrote:
For me, that is all down to Lockers the way he marshals the players on the back line. In recent weeks when he hasn't played, gaping holes have appeared that my Auntie Betty could have strolled through to score.

We are a different team when Lockers is in charge!