St Helens sign super prop

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
RobWigan

Re: St Helens sign super prop

Post by RobWigan »

No straw damn us wrote:
RobWigan wrote:So Flower, Taylor, Lauaki, Crosby, Hansen, o loughlin, Burke, Hopkins, Pettybourne, Farrell, Spencer and Hughes is not enough??
You've forgotten Andy Powell.
Yes true, we got easily enough quality up.front IMO
markill

Post by markill »

Also Greenwood and Lever and then the u19s have some promising players too.

I think the way we use our forwards needs a bit more attention than who we have playing there next season because we do have some very strong players in the pack. If the right option comes available we shouldn't miss a chance, but we don't need to be taking risks on signing in the pack - a full back, a centre and a winger (especially if Charnley looks elsewhere either next year or beyond) would be greater priority
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:If I was Wane I would be having a good look at Adam Walker from HKR.
Thats a good shout.Was thinking the same thing myself.Quite right of cpw to point out the cons surrounding preccy.We need someone in a similar mould and I can see Walker fitting that bill. :D
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

You will eat your words when we play against him, I have watched his last 3 games and he has been devastating, & he has got a great motor see hit up and yardage stats. I will remind those on here who knocked me when he arrives. He is like a massive version of Moi Moi.
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

KOOCH wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:If I was Wane I would be having a good look at Adam Walker from HKR.
Thats a good shout.Was thinking the same thing myself.Quite right of cpw to point out the cons surrounding preccy.We need someone in a similar mould and I can see Walker fitting that bill. :D
We need to get away from this sort of prop forward, the game as changed and there is no longer a need for a.player that is just a battering ram , Preccy was not even.reliable, everytime i watched him i used to think , please do not drop it.

A prime example of this is Earl Crabtree, used to be a useless battering ram, now he is sidestepping full backs for fun!!

We DO NOT need to be spending our salary cap money on forwards, the money we have over from the Tomkins deal and spending it on a full back like Matty Bowem and a quality winger, preferably who can kick
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

RobWigan wrote:
KOOCH wrote:
We need to get away from this sort of prop forward, the game as changed and there is no longer a need for a.player that is just a battering ram , Preccy was not even.reliable, everytime i watched him i used to think , please do not drop it.

A prime example of this is Earl Crabtree, used to be a useless battering ram, now he is sidestepping full backs for fun!!

We DO NOT need to be spending our salary cap money on forwards, the money we have over from the Tomkins deal and spending it on a full back like Matty Bowem and a quality winger, preferably who can kick
You have have just distanced yourself from quality in the fact that you say we should be interested in Matty Bowen.Ten years ago I would have agreed with that statement but considering the man is riddled with knee problems I think not! Rather go for a young aggressive player who is not just the battering ram you think that he is.Funny how we differ on how effective or not Paul was. As without his injury problems he would most probably have been at the top of the coaches team sheet.Admittedly he did lose the ball quite a lot in his younger years.Unfortunately his injuries did not allow people to see the fine young prop that he was.Remember a prop only really becomes the mature hard running hard hitting prop from about 25 years onwards.Sadly I genuinely do believe that we never saw the best of Paul who retired doing the hard yards for wigan.Have another look at young Adam Walker and I think you will see he 's more than just the battering ram you think he is because I see a clever intuitive player.Yes I agree we do need a full back most desperately but not Matty Bowen at this stage of his career.Yes we also need a winger but in my opinion we also need a centre other than Thornley who's defence is sadly not up to scratch.And whilst we are on about our props just ask yourself this question.What have our props been doing of late?Answer allowing themselves to be bullied by the opposition. :D
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

Maybe so, you are right Adam Walker is a good player, but imo we are solid in the forwards as we are, i would not say we have been bullies by the oppostion, just because we have been in poor form does not mean we have been bullied

The Matty Bowen situatuon is that i think he will be a good signing, Only for the short term, surely Wigan should insert some get out clause in.his contract, similiar to what Michael Owen was on at Stoke, Long term if Tierney carries on progressing it will be good for him under the tutualige of Bowen, who as seen it all and done it all

I agree 100% with you about Thornley, but we have signed Sarginson and imo.this is were he will play for Wigan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

ddtftf wrote:You will eat your words when we play against him, I have watched his last 3 games and he has been devastating, & he has got a great motor see hit up and yardage stats. I will remind those on here who knocked me when he arrives. He is like a massive version of Moi Moi.
so have I he's struggled to play twenty minutes in any of those games. One drive and and five minutes rest. Defensively he is a liability.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

RobWigan wrote:So Flower, Taylor, Lauaki, Crosby, Hansen, o loughlin, Burke, Hopkins, Pettybourne, Farrell, Spencer and Hughes is not enough??
I want quality not quantity.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

markill wrote:Also Greenwood and Lever and then the u19s have some promising players too.

I think the way we use our forwards needs a bit more attention than who we have playing there next season because we do have some very strong players in the pack. If the right option comes available we shouldn't miss a chance, but we don't need to be taking risks on signing in the pack - a full back, a centre and a winger (especially if Charnley looks elsewhere either next year or beyond) would be greater priority
Greenwood is not up to this level yet, Lever is untried in SL and whilst we do have a number of outstanding juniors they are not ready to make the jump. Powell has yet to prove that he can cut it in RL, Hopkins needs to adjust to SL, Spencer has not found his feet yet and Lauaki needs to improve dramatically. Having sais that, I do agree that a FB is a higher priority.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards