Wigan v Hull The Return

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Wigan v Hull The Return

Post by Kittwazzer »

Has anyone had any thoughts about next next Friday's game?

Hull will be looking for a win to get some momentum for the playoffs.

What sort of approach should we be taking?
Matthew

Re: Wigan v Hull The Return

Post by Matthew »

Would think it will be a fairly niggly game as Hull will be frustrated with themselves about their performance at Wembley.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lose - but given a choice between winning the CC and winning a super league round when our play spot is already confirmed is a complete no brainer!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Matthew wrote:Would think it will be a fairly niggly game as Hull will be frustrated with themselves about their performance at Wembley.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lose - but given a choice between winning the CC and winning a super league round when our play spot is already confirmed is a complete no brainer!
Exactly. So should we risk the people we need fit for the playoffs?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:Has anyone had any thoughts about next next Friday's game?

Hull will be looking for a win to get some momentum for the playoffs.

What sort of approach should we be taking?
Crossed my mind briefly.

Madge was criticised for the team giving up after 2011 so what do we want to happen?

The stupid play off system we have means as we can't finish less than fourth there isn't much point to any of our remaining fixtures (whereas in a top 5 we'd still have to go for a win 100% in this game).

Should Wane try and build some momentum?

I did see in his post match comments he said several players would not have played if it had been a normal SL game so whoever they are I don't expect them playing v Hull. I think Sam is one of those and so we are back to short changing the fans but this is one week where perhaps people won't expect the 1st team out there.
markill

Post by markill »

No harm in resting a couple of players in the game on Friday. Like has been suggested, the wings would be one place I would look to play kids. Crosby and Hughes might as well play too I think for Mossop and H.

If we put a defending and kicking game on in the playoffs like we saw yesterday then we showed we are good enough at that to win a game still so we don't need to win the last two league games as such, but that shouldn't be the attitude so players who need fitness like Lockers and Flower should play as well as the half backs and Sam. No issue with having Hampshire on the bench to mean they don't all have to play 80 though.

I think we'll see who is in the best shape by Wednesday and go from there though.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Fridays game is more important than I first thought. In fact teams 2-7 are all in action.

If we beat Hull, we go second if Wire lose at LP to a Stains side keen to hold on to 5th spot - which they could lose if an indifferent Leeds surrender to Catalans.

I think I'd rather meet Wire at home rather than away!
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Going this expecting them to rest a lot of players, stuck at work next week so it'll be my last game until the play offs so hope it's a good night
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Another point to consider is that if we can secure second place and Hudds fail again in the play offs, then we get club call.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Play those who need game time and rest those that dont.
where we finish, 2nd or 4th does it really matter.
Bring in andy Faz for another pep talk and the grand final is in the bag.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Play those who need game time and rest those that dont.
where we finish, 2nd or 4th does it really matter.
Bring in andy Faz for another pep talk and the grand final is in the bag.
I reckon Leeds will hang on to 4th spot so I'd prefer 2nd to 3rd. Home advantage and a chance of Clubcall!