Sam staying???????

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kittwazzer

Re: Sam staying???????

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Par for the course though Mike re Wigan under IL letting situations run and run and run. Brian Noble was the classic example.
How come. His contract ended. It wasn't renewed. End of story!
Seinfeld79

Post by Seinfeld79 »

I suspect that CP is referring to the fact that we all knew Noble's contract was up but it dragged on for a while before it was eventually announced he was leaving. Apologies CP if I've got this wrong.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Seinfeld79 wrote:I suspect that CP is referring to the fact that we all knew Noble's contract was up but it dragged on for a while before it was eventually announced he was leaving. Apologies CP if I've got this wrong.
Correct. Cheers
southern warrrior

Sam to Warriors again

Post by southern warrrior »

This has just come up on zero tackle move this to right thread as i couldnt find it.

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/big-money ... ard-11029/
RobWigan

Re: Sam to Warriors again

Post by RobWigan »

southern warrrior wrote:This has just come up on zero tackle move this to right thread as i couldnt find it.

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/big-money ... ard-11029/
Already posted it, it was an article from the NZ Herald
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

There's only one place Sam is going IF and when he comes back.Straight to London to play union.Fans have been played like a fiddle and taken in by lies by IL SW and ST.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:There's only one place Sam is going IF and when he comes back.Straight to London to play union.Fans have been played like a fiddle and taken in by lies by IL SW and ST.
Sorry to correct you but it should read some fans!
I await with eagerness the bull that the announcement will be flowered with, and the naivety that some will swallow it with.
My comment re. a football lover was tongue in cheek btw.
I find this whole affair rather tedious and unprofessional for a Club of Wigan's standing, but hey I'm only a supporter living in a mushroom plantation!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:There's only one place Sam is going IF and when he comes back.Straight to London to play union.Fans have been played like a fiddle and taken in by lies by IL SW and ST.
I am sure if you look closely at what was said none of them will have ever lied over this.

Don't forget IL only ever said Sam could not talk to other clubs. IL didn't say he (IL) wouldn't sell him!

Now is such spin worthy of our club? No. Not in my opinion.

When IL said Sam could not talk to other clubs I certainly don't remember anyone pointing out he hadn't actually said he would not be sold. I am sure everyone took the statements about retaining Sam at face value.

Just for the record here are the quotes from the web site:

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news

It's all about retention and a long term deal. Note however the headline is "Sam Commits to Wigan", not "Wigan commits to Sam"!

There will be two excuses if Sam leaves:

1. There is no point keeping a player who wants away.
2. Wigan never said the club would not sell him.

Excuse 1 is not acceptable when you go to the press to announce his retention with a deal including a gagging clause. It would prove you even weaker than already perceived in regard to the clubs ability to retain players.

Excuse 2 would be disingenuous B/S of the highest order for reasons mentioned above.

However I am sure some happy-clapper somewhere will put forward these excuses claiming IL has not actually misled the fans or at least didn't actually lie. As if that would make either acceptable.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
I am sure if you look closely at what was said none of them will have ever lied over this.

Don't forget IL only ever said Sam could not talk to other clubs. IL didn't say he (IL) wouldn't sell him!

When IL said Sam could not talk to other clubs I certainly don't remember anyone pointing out he hadn't actually said he would not be sold. I am sure everyone took the statements about retaining Sam at face value.

It's all about retention and a long term deal.

Excuse 1 is not acceptable when you go to the press to announce his retention with a deal including a gagging clause. It would prove you even weaker than already perceived in regard to the clubs ability to retain players.

Excuse 2 would be disingenuous B/S of the highest order for reasons mentioned above.

However I am sure some happy-clapper somewhere will put forward these excuses claiming IL has not actually misled the fans or at least didn't actually lie. As if that would make either acceptable.
Whichever way IL spins it he lied to us. He did not say Sam would be here for 3 years but he insinuated he would. IL is selling the club short and that is something he could regret when season ticket renewals drop as i think they will do if no true international players are recruited by the end of this month when announcements are made.

IL thinks he is running a rugby team he is not he is running the biggest Super League team with the biggest fan base who expects certain standards and IL standards is dropping. Once a team goes backwards with an owner who sells the best players for profit then you will see us mid table profitable club.

Sam Tomkins will go we will get that we have a link with NZ Warriors etc the same as we did with Saracens and that was a lie.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
DaveO wrote:

It's all about retention and a long term deal.

Whichever way IL spins it he lied to us. He did not say Sam would be here for 3 years but he insinuated he would.
I know but it won't stop someone putting forward the argument that insinuating he would be here for three years isn't the same as saying he would be come what may. For some such nuances of grammar will be good enough to get IL off the hook despite the fact they will have been deliberately misled if it really was a carefully worded press release.

I don't actually think it was carefully worded which is why I am mystified at why IL either decided to offer him for sale, agreed to an approach from another club or agreed to a request from Sam to be released. Not after that statement.