Matty Bowen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
captinjack

Re: Matty Bowen

Post by captinjack »

Josie, I can't argue that point, but surely it would be better using our home grown talent rather paying for an "Aussie liability".
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

captinjack wrote:Josie, I can't argue that point, but surely it would be better using our home grown talent rather paying for an "Aussie liability".
You obviously dont know or have not seen Bowen play this season.He is playing "out of skin" this season and has been for many previous ones.We dont have a recognised FB ready yet to take over the mantle from ST,playing young lads out of position is not the answer.So i would not be aversed to see Bowen in a Wigan shirt.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

captinjack wrote:Josie, I can't argue that point, but surely it would be better using our home grown talent rather paying for an "Aussie liability".
I agree to using our home grown players but not playing then out of position for the sake of it.

Jack Hughes is typical, he's a second rower & will tell you that himself. Look how his form has dropped this year, considerably IMO, because of the pressure of playing in an alien position, centre.

Just hope paying peanuts to our young players will not lead to them leaving for pastures new & not necessarily in ours or any sport :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

According to the Moles latest Tweet Sam and Bowens signings as rumored to be announced shortly, Sam about to sign with NZ Bowen has signed for Wigan
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that Bowen will be a better fullback than Sam, he is just as quick links up like Sam but has a great kicking game close to the line and puts out great passes to create tries. I have all the Cowboys games this year and he has been outstanding all year. If he breaks the line no one will catch him, I wish my knees were as bad as his. I honestly think the Cowboys have overstated the knee problem to allow him to get a good payday for his loyalty to the Cowboys, and to appease the Cowboy fans with an excuse for letting him go.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

ddtftf wrote:I am going to stick my neck out here and say that Bowen will be a better fullback than Sam, he is just as quick links up like Sam but has a great kicking game close to the line and puts out great passes to create tries. I have all the Cowboys games this year and he has been outstanding all year. If he breaks the line no one will catch him, I wish my knees were as bad as his. I honestly think the Cowboys have overstated the knee problem to allow him to get a good payday for his loyalty to the Cowboys, and to appease the Cowboy fans with an excuse for letting him go.
What's he like under the high ball and in general defending ddtftf.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
ddtftf wrote:I am going to stick my neck out here and say that Bowen will be a better fullback than Sam, he is just as quick links up like Sam but has a great kicking game close to the line and puts out great passes to create tries. I have all the Cowboys games this year and he has been outstanding all year. If he breaks the line no one will catch him, I wish my knees were as bad as his. I honestly think the Cowboys have overstated the knee problem to allow him to get a good payday for his loyalty to the Cowboys, and to appease the Cowboy fans with an excuse for letting him go.
He's just a very very good full back, can take the line on and has enough pace left to do damage, good pass and kicking game, Hes not tall but good under a bomb and a good defender. Its been good to watch him play this back half of the nrl season hes been outstanding. Should if he can stay fit be a good player for us. Hes a big favorite with the cowboys fans and is admired by all the good pundits in the nrl.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bowen IMO will be like Patten at Salford or Hodgson at Wire. He is a very accomplished fullback but I am struggling with the pace / attack threat being better than Sam. 5 years or more ago, Bowen was devastating as a runner but he is nowhere near the player he once was in that respect IMO.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Excellent elusive and lightning fast even with 2 bad knees
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Here's my two cents.

Early in his Career Bowen was tested as much as any Fullback under the highball because...well he's short.

That didn't workout for the opposition.

The New Zealand Warriors had the best under the highball player in the NRL for more than six years , Manu Vagtuvei could take balls off kicks no one else in the NRL could stop.

It was common knowledge that Manu was the best Airial player the NRL had ever seen and as such the betting Agency in NZ made an advert about Kicking it to Manu on the Fifth.

Here's the thing about Bowen , Manu was used to target him.

Six Foot four 110kg Manu couldn't dominate Bowen in one on one contest which is why the Warriors inexplicably lost to poorly performing North Queensland when the Warriors were raging hot favorites in the mid 2000's to late in the decade.

Bowen is one of the best defensive fullbacks in the NRL.