Team for next year?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriorjon

Team for next year?

Post by warriorjon »

1. Rads
2. Carney
3. Vagana
4. Aspinwall
5. Briscoe
6. P. Sculthorpe
7. L.Robinson
8. O'Connor
9. Newton
10. C. Smith
11. Faz
12. Tickle (Graham)
13. Hock

14. Scully
15. M.Smith
16. Brown
17, 1 of. Ellis, Hughs, Korkidas, O'Loghlain

Think this is a viable side as it means losing Lam, Ainscough, Dallas, Johnson, Hodgson and perhaps Graham if necessary), and only bringing in 2 BIG earners in Scully and Vagana. Also I think it is a realistic squad as there are rumours Scully snr. is not happy at saints and vagana is coming over anyway. this wouls leave us able to bring in one of the subs marked at 17 and leave us with a good young squad to back us up for injuries.
MrsLam

Re: Team for next year?

Post by MrsLam »

To tell you the truth I dont want Paul Sculthorpe at wigan at all.
I dont pesonally think hes had that gooda season and maybe that is something to do with him not being happy at saints but I still dont want him here. And I think the only reason his defence is good is 'cause he knocks out the player with the ball with his high tackles.
Cant imagine cheering him on.

Anyway...then we wouldnt be able to sing "Theres only 1 decent sculthorpe" !!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
pez

Post by pez »

only a few id change from that line up

6 robinson
7 lam
13 o loughlin

it should take the pressure off farrell to do all the creative work (if he would listen)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think we need to give Lam another year as going with Robinson full time from next season is a big risk IMO.

Getting rid of the other players mentioned such as Hodgson and Johnson leaves us with 17 decent players and no depth to the squad.

What happens if any of the 17 get a long term injury? We would have to bring in someone about 17 years old again and its not always going to work.

If we were to get P Sculthorpe then I think getting rid of several other players over and above Ainscough and Dallas, who I expect to leave, would have to happen to stay under the salary cap especially if Vagana comes as well.

For me that is too risky and leaves us with too unbalanced a side so despite being a great player we are going to have to gut the team to accomodate him, so no thanks.

Dave
warriorjon

Re: Re: Team for next year?

Post by warriorjon »

On the contrary i think it would allow for the like of Wilde O'Loghlain Bibey, and maybe a matter of 2 other good tried and tested squad players as cover as i really cant see this 17 getting too close to the sallary cap but i did ask if you thought it was viable and i do appreciate that S.L. is now much more a thinking mans game of numbers.
DaveO

Re: Re: Re: Team for next year...

Post by DaveO »

warriorjon posted:
On the contrary i think it would allow for the like of Wilde O'Loghlain Bibey, and maybe a matter of 2 other good tried and tested squad players as cover as i really cant see this 17 getting too close to the sallary cap but i did ask if you thought it was viable and i do appreciate that S.L. is now much more a thinking mans game of numbers.
I am not sure who you are referring to when you say 2 tried and tested squad players. The others you name are already in the squad and the net result of your idea in the original post is to reduce the current squad by a net of four players.

I am not sure off hand how many we have in what is known as the first team squad but its something like 25 in total. We have been stretched due to injury with that sort of numbers so I think dropping down to a squad of 21 which is what would happen if we shipped out 6 and brought two in is not viable.

I know you said promote some of the younger players but I think we have done enough of that this year and need to keep things a bit more stable next season.

I do think we need a class centre but even though he is a great player I think P Sculthorpe will be out of reach.

Dave
John M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Team for next ...

Post by John M »

Forget Sculthorpe after todays showing by Johns.Get Joey signed and quick before Leeds,Bradford or someone else get him and he cuts us to shreds.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!