John Bateman?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Wigan sign Bateman from Bulls

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:
DaveO wrote: H will be a free agent after next season so Koukash could have him for free if Wigan didn't want to keep him but at 28 Hansen is just reaching his peak and is exactly the kind of experienced player Wigan need to keep hold of to lead young players like Bateman, Hughes and Burke.

And that is ignoring the fact H is a genuinely top class player anyway as he proved once again in the GF. There aren't that many of those in our game!

Regardless of that we are going to have a lot of players over age 19 next season who are forwards and there simply isn't enough room in the 1st team for half of them so I hope those stupid U19 rules change or a lot of players are going to be sat idle.

I think we're some distance apart on how highly we rate H. I admire his effort, but he only breaks the line once a year and cannot pass effectively with his knackered wrist. I would be happy enough seeing him play out his years at Wigan, but I would be surprised if we kept him much longer as Burke, Hughes, Bateman and Eddie P jostle for position. It was telling that, while we exercised our one way oe year extension but no more, We didn't offer a longer contract.
Well I see you are getting in early by belittling a player you think the club may let go so you can agree with the clubs decision to do so. Par for the course.

Eddie P is going to be a prop (based on Rads comments about the succession policy for the back row in which he didn't figure).

The senior players mentioned were H, Lockers and Faz. The rest are young prospects bar Clubb who was also mentioned in that comment as a back row player.

H is better than any of the prospects (and Clubb) and will be until he retires because at 28 he has what they lack (over and above his quality as a player) which is experience.

H will be a free agent after next season and if Koukash outbids IL, H has enough medals to go to Salford if IL doesn't want to offer him a decent deal. It will be H's decision unless IL is stupid enough not to even offer him a deal at all.

If you can't see that would be our loss and their gain at his age you wouldn't recognise a quality forward like H if he tackled you on King's Street.
Had a poorer season during the last campaign and perhaps a reason why Wane is looking at other options, especially if he intends to go to his hometown of Salford.
Kittwazzer

Re: John Bateman?

Post by Kittwazzer »

I think people are overestimating this 'home to Salford' bit. H has been with Wigan for more than half his life. Salford is less than 20 miles away. I really don't see homesickness being a major issue!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don't think H necessarily regards Salford as "home" but I think Koukash may do, and be prepared to offer him more money.
My view on H is part from what I see, part from his statistics (see in particular teh Leeds game where some wanted him MotM and compare his stats with Faz') and part inference from the club's behaviour last year. In any event, as I do not (yet) run the club, I have no say in the outcome. He's spilt a lot of blood for our club, and been a great club man, and they are very important qualities. I would be happy to see him stay for the rest of his career with us. He's a man you'd want with you In the trenches.
Anyway, it was terrific to have seen Eddie P in the flesh, as he's some player. And Bateman is about as good a young prospect as we have in the game at the moment. It's been a good week.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

DaveO wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:Am guessing next year will be H's last, as Bateman is top quality. Who knows, maybe Koukash will pay a fee to take him "home".
H will be a free agent after next season so Koukash could have him for free if Wigan didn't want to keep him but at 28 Hansen is just reaching his peak and is exactly the kind of experienced player Wigan need to keep hold of to lead young players like Bateman, Hughes and Burke.

And that is ignoring the fact H is a genuinely top class player anyway as he proved once again in the GF. There aren't that many of those in our game!

Regardless of that we are going to have a lot of players over age 19 next season who are forwards and there simply isn't enough room in the 1st team for half of them so I hope those stupid U19 rules change or a lot of players are going to be sat idle.
Spot on DaveO H is simply class.He's the kind of player you would want in your camp to inspire younger squad members.
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Bateman is potentially a high class player but will he fulfill it? Time will tell.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

oldhooker wrote:Bateman is potentially a high class player but will he fulfill it? Time will tell.
You could say that about any young player OH. I personally think he will do so.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

cherry.pie wrote:Burke, Bateman and Hughes is a back row good enough for a Super League side already. That's our future right there and that's ignoring Farrell who at 23 is really in the same sort of age bracket and has his best years ahead.

Exciting times and a brilliant signing!
Thought the same and although I agree he is top top potential I do think that we have more obvious needs to fill in other parts of the team but having said that Wane seems to have got it right so far in signing Green, Smith and Taylor, lets just pass over Luaki, so will have to go along with his view of our needs.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

mickw wrote:Played and scored at DW this season and really caught the the eye in the game Chris Tyson scored with the last play to win it,he didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Is that Mike's brother ?
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Aaron C. Rescue wrote:
mickw wrote:Played and scored at DW this season and really caught the the eye in the game Chris Tyson scored with the last play to win it,he didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Is that Mike's brother ?
No, that would most likely be James Graham since they both share the same eating habits! :lol:
TSB

Post by TSB »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Last time i saw Bateman play anything like to his potential was in the England v AIS at LSV a few years ago, He played alongside George Burgess and Ben Currie and a few other high class players, Bateman was simply outstanding that day, i know SL was/is a step up from that but i don't honestly believe that Johnny has shown what he is capable of since then and i dare say that the financial pressures at the Bulls will have lied heavy on his mind, now he is free from that environment he is is now under the right sort of pressure to perform and i reckon you will see a very very good player develop into superstar of the game and i think he will go onto captain the club, thats how good this kid can be
Sorry TEW George Burgess did not play in that game. That would have been George Williams.