The Last Post

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Mrs Lifter

Re: The Last Post

Post by Mrs Lifter »

My husband works for a forklift company in Belgium.Several years ago whilst researching his family tree he discovered that his great uncle who died in the great war was buried in the military cemetery at the cementHouse Landemark and that he had been driving past the gate every time he went to head office without knowing.Anybody who gets the opportunity to visit the war graves should it is an incredibly moving experiance,the Belgians tend these graves with great respect they are immaculate and all have a book usually in the gate house that list those buried there.
I've also visited the RAF war graves in Berlin before the wall came down one of the most peaceful places I've been.
The Last Post at the Menin Gate is very moving if you ever go you should take the opportunity before the last post sounds to walk round the memorial and look at some of the thousands of names from all countries of the young men who died.It is a place that makes you think about sacrifice and the fortitude of the human spirit and not strangely about which side was right or wrong.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:If you ever get the opportunity (I have once) the most moving place for the Last Post IMO is here;
I believe the 3rd Battle of Ypres was also known as Paschendaale, one of the worst of the entire war in terms of carnage!
Six Victoria Crosses awarded to men of the Lancashire Fusiliers and most ever awarded in one day of battle.
Six before breakfast I believe
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Like i said in an earlier post played every night at end of day, even though I heard it all the years i was serving i still get a tear in my eye when i am on parade rememberance Sunday.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cow yeds wrote:Like i said in an earlier post played every night at end of day, even though I heard it all the years i was serving i still get a tear in my eye when i am on parade rememberance Sunday.
To this day it remains incredibly emotive