Who has Josh Charnley upset?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Who has Josh Charnley upset?

Post by cpwigan »

I don't even think Hall is good at exit runs WF. IMO he is a great 10 yard finisher and nothing else. I would still select him but in terms of enjoyment, very little.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

cpwigan wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:I'm a big fan of Charnley and rate him no 1 in SL this year by a country mile. However, just to be awkward/different: based purely on England performances, I think Hall and Briscoe deserve to be picked.
Why Briscoe? I did not see anything he has done that Josh did not or cannot do. One wonders why Briscoe was not selected v the toughest task v Aus?

I have to say Hall is incredibly effective at finishing but he gives me very little pleasure watching him play. It is akin to watching a prop play wing. Even Big Les was better to watch.
I'm glad Josh is back in. I wasn't being negative about him but looking at things from McNamara's point of view based purely on England performances. Yes, Briscoe got the easier games, but he didn't do anything wrong. Josh did make a mistake or two v Aus.

I agree re Hall BTW, but he's still got to be in - who else is there? Riley? Makinson? Jones-Bishop? No-one near international class ... only possibilities IMO would be Broughton (or Lineham who's injured)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:Josh has been named in the squad v France :)
Speccy Power!!! :D :D :D :D
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Charnley could get into any team in the world cup, however for me Ryan Hall is not the right choice I would have Briscoe in there instead just prefer Briscoe he can score from anywhere much like josh
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Richymac wrote:Charnley could get into any team in the world cup, however for me Ryan Hall is not the right choice I would have Briscoe in there instead just prefer Briscoe he can score from anywhere much like josh
Agree. All this hype about Hall being the best winger in the world? He's not even the best winger in Leeds!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hall is excellent at finishing from 10/15 yards out but he has no X factor beyond that.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Richymac wrote:Charnley could get into any team in the world cup, however for me Ryan Hall is not the right choice I would have Briscoe in there instead just prefer Briscoe he can score from anywhere much like josh
Can't see any grounds for dropping Hall Richy. Been brilliant and clinical at doing what he is there for scoring tries.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Hall is excellent at finishing from 10/15 yards out but he has no X factor beyond that.
He is little more than a photogenic Karl Pryce!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: I'm glad Josh is back in. I wasn't being negative about him but looking at things from McNamara's point of view based purely on England performances. Yes, Briscoe got the easier games, but he didn't do anything wrong. Josh did make a mistake or two v Aus.
The underlined bit says it all. You can't base selections on how players go in easier games when you have so few games to judge on. League form and form in finals in the domestic competition should have had Josh marked down as the number one choice and it should be up to Briscoe to make a case to displace Charnley, not the other way around.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: I'm glad Josh is back in. I wasn't being negative about him but looking at things from McNamara's point of view based purely on England performances. Yes, Briscoe got the easier games, but he didn't do anything wrong. Josh did make a mistake or two v Aus.
The underlined bit says it all. You can't base selections on how players go in easier games when you have so few games to judge on. League form and form in finals in the domestic competition should have had Josh marked down as the number one choice and it should be up to Briscoe to make a case to displace Charnley, not the other way around.
That's true, though from memory at least one "unforced error" against Aus. It feels like I'm arguing against Josh, which I'm definitely not! My original point was in response to the understandably cherry-and-white glasses wearing posters who couldn't see why Briscoe was given a shot, just trying to give a balanced view. I'm 100% delighted that Josh is in, and, more imortantly, the fact he's been picked for the big games suggests that he's McNamara's first choice.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐