Re: Hansen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I think it would be slightly risky to let him go now, but there are players in the club whom I think could be very good second rowers with more to their game. It wouldn't surprise me to see him drop out of the first 17 before the end of the year in any event, given Bateman's potential. I like second rowers who will make breaks or can offload, but can see that every team needs its fair share of workers.
CPW may see the tackle he made in the play off, but against that he allowed them to walk through him for a try a few minutes before and Moon only ended up making he break because H was in the wrong position earlier in the move.
He has clearly worked his socks off for the club, (for which he has been paid). If we let him go to someone willing to pay more for him then that's not the worst outcome. I trust IL and co in this. If he has to go, good luck to him wherever he ends up.
Understand Exile. I do think H's wrist is a negative and there are many far better attacking runners but he is much quicker than I think people realise, he is a damaging defensive hitter (no choice IMO given the wrist) and he is a real stalwart of what playing for Wigan is about, offering lots of off field leadership which given losses such as Sam, Paddy, Moose was/is a huge factor.

I do not think Wigan will get much money for releasing H a season early and from his own POV / HIS FAMILY then I full understand why he needs / wants some security. Wigan merely enforcing the 12 month option left H with little or no choice. Actions speak louder than words.

To his credit I think Wane now understands the need to rest players more and blood youngsters when you do. The danger is do you risk tipping the scales too far by trying to manage lots of player loss. Wigan screwed up the great 80/90's era by offloading / losing too many player at one time. We tend to be losing 4/5 experienced quality players each season. The caveat is that Bowen will hopefully offer a great deal (He has to) and the quality of the young players is superb.

H IMO was a cornerstone player. Truly dedicated pro and brave as could be (he did not buckle after Morley IIRC smashed him when lesser men would have done so.

Fans naturally worry. Double winners is a very high standard to maintain. I personally worry re place kicking.

H IMO was a great Wigan servant
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... XKpOFqr.99

Wigan Warriors today announce that Second Row Forward Harrison Hansen is to leave the Club and will be joining the Salford Red Devils immediately for an undisclosed fee.

Speaking about the news, Chairman Ian Lenagan said;

"We can confirm that Harrison is to leave and will be joining Salford Red Devils. We have been in discussion with the player over the last few weeks following an approach from Salford for his services and Harrison expressed a strong desire to move on. We are obviously disappointed to lose him after nine years of loyal service but, after such loyal service to Wigan, it would have been churlish to have prevented him taking up this opportunity which he so clearly wants to pursue and which is of significant benefit to him.

"Harrison had just one year remaining on his current contract and had indicated that he would leave when his contract was up. Following Salford's approach, and Harrison's request to move on, it allowed us to negotiate a substantial transfer fee for someone who would otherwise have left for nothing in 12 months' time.

"Our squad planning has also provided us with great quality and depth in the back row with Tony Clubb, John Bateman and Sam Hopkins joining our home grown players including Jack Hughes and Greg Burke, and obviously Internationals Liam Farrell and Sean O'Loughlin."

Head Coach Shaun Wane added;

"Although we are sad to lose Harrison, we are also aware of his desire to join his hometown club. Wigan offered him a long term deal to stay but he feels the time is now right for him to move on and take this opportunity with Salford. He has worn the famous Wigan jersey with honour and distinction and we wish him well in this new chapter in his playing career."

Rugby General Manager Kris Radlinski said;

"'H' has been an important member of our squad for over 9 years and has constantly put his body on the line for the Club; however, when he met with us he spoke with great passion about joining his hometown team. At this point and from the look in his eyes we knew he had emotionally moved on. He will get a huge contract out of the move and as we love him as both a player and a great bloke, ‘Happy Feet' as we affectionately call him leaves with our blessing."

Harrison Hansen commented;

"I've loved every minute playing for Wigan, it's been a huge part of my life since I was 15 years old. To have been part of this special Club for so long has been a real honour and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Wigan will always have a special place in my heart and I have so many fantastic memories.

"I would like to give a massive thanks to all the fans for their amazing support, I've met some great people and made some true friends. To all the players and coaching staff along the way, you have all contributed to the person and rugby player I am today, thank you."

Read more at http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... fW3jBvJ.99
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sorry but I do not see a substantial fee being offered.
josie andrews

Harrison Hansen leaves Wigan to join Red Devils

Post by josie andrews »

Salford Red Devils have confirmed the signing of Wigan Warriors second-row Harrison Hansen for an undisclosed fee.

Hansen becomes the 14th new arrival for the 2014 season and has signed a four-year deal at the AJ Bell Stadium.

The 28-year-old had 12 months remaining on his Wigan contract, but chairman Ian Lenagan said the club had "negotiated a substantial transfer fee".

Hansen told the Salford website: "For me it is a great new challenge. I have achieved everything I could at Wigan.

The Red Devils finished bottom of Super League in 2013, but are predicted to fair better in the competition next season.

England internationals Rangi Chase, Gareth Hock and Adrian Morley are among the players to have previously sealed moves to the club.
Hansen had been at Wigan since 2004 and made over 200 appearances, winning the Grand Final in 2010 and the Challenge Cup in 2011 before last season's league and cup double.

Internationally, he has represented New Zealand, then Samoa, who named him as captain for the recent World Cup, only for him to miss the tournament because of injury.

"I am really excited to be here right at the beginning of this special time for the Red Devils," Hansen added.

"I'm not just coming to Salford for an easy ride. I have a set of standards and I constantly set myself the task of living up to them.

"There is a great bunch of players here, I know many of them already. The facilities now are second to none. This is the place to be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/25419139?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We need a new chairman, one with bigger pockets than IL.

Wave a cheque book and IL will sell. He obviously can't resist even the likes of Salford never mind the NRL

Charnely next? Why not? He's one of the few class players we have left.

It's been open season on our players since IL got here.

I am sure someone will say look we won two trophies last season but that was WITH Hansen, Mossop and Sam T all plying key roles in the victories.

In Hock and Hansen Salford have a better 2nd row that us next season if not the best in the league.

Mid table mediocrity, here we come.

josie andrews

Re: Harrison Hansen leaves Wigan to join Red Devils

Post by josie andrews »

Harrison Hansen to Join Salford

Wigan Warriors today announce that Second Row Forward Harrison Hansen is to leave the Club and will be joining the Salford Red Devils immediately for an undisclosed fee.

"We can confirm that Harrison is to leave and will be joining Salford Red Devils. We have been in discussion with the player over the last few weeks following an approach from Salford for his services and Harrison expressed a strong desire to move on. We are obviously disappointed to lose him after nine years of loyal service but, after such loyal service to Wigan, it would have been churlish to have prevented him taking up this opportunity which he so clearly wants to pursue and which is of significant benefit to him.

"Harrison had just one year remaining on his current contract and had indicated that he would leave when his contract was up. Following Salford's approach, and Harrison's request to move on, it allowed us to negotiate a substantial transfer fee for someone who would otherwise have left for nothing in 12 months' time.

"Our squad planning has also provided us with great quality and depth in the back row with Tony Clubb, John Bateman and Sam Hopkins joining our home grown players including Jack Hughes and Greg Burke, and obviously Internationals Liam Farrell and Sean O'Loughlin."

"Although we are sad to lose Harrison, we are also aware of his desire to join his hometown club. Wigan offered him a long term deal to stay but he feels the time is now right for him to move on and take this opportunity with Salford. He has worn the famous Wigan jersey with honour and distinction and we wish him well in this new chapter in his playing career."

"'H' has been an important member of our squad for over 9 years and has constantly put his body on the line for the Club; however, when he met with us he spoke with great passion about joining his hometown team. At this point and from the look in his eyes we knew he had emotionally moved on. He will get a huge contract out of the move and as we love him as both a player and a great bloke, ‘Happy Feet' as we affectionately call him leaves with our blessing."

"I've loved every minute playing for Wigan, it's been a huge part of my life since I was 15 years old. To have been part of this special Club for so long has been a real honour and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Wigan will always have a special place in my heart and I have so many fantastic memories.

"I would like to give a massive thanks to all the fans for their amazing support, I've met some great people and made some true friends. To all the players and coaching staff along the way, you have all contributed to the person and rugby player I am today, thank you."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... C6DdZsR.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote: Harrison Hansen to Join Salford

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... C6DdZsR.99
:eusa16: :eusa16: :eusa16:
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

this as been on the cards for 6 months. Gutted it as finally come. H as been a good servant to Wigan for the last 9 years. I feel a bit robbed that we could not show our appreciation with a good testimonal year.

Good Luck H and thanks for all the hard work!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
:eusa16: :eusa16: :eusa16:
Yes, Josie. It is the usual PR bull. We should be used it it by now.

They are pro players and at the end of the day it boils down to one thing. Money.

Wigan have been outbid by Salford for a key member of the team who leaves us weaker as none of those on that list mentioned by the club are as good as H given Faz would be the other 2nd row anyway.

We all kind of reluctantly accept we have little defence against the NRL but to be outbid by a club for H's services by a club under the same salary cap is ludicrous.

At worst Wigan should just have taken the hit of no fee after next year.

Now THAT would have been a true reward for what would have been 10 years service as he would have had a testimonial.

He could have still gone to Salford and got a big contract as there would be plenty of interest in him at 29 as this is now.

As it is IL chose to cash in and deny him that. Saw the look inhis eyes? Yeah right.

It is just all bull.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I like H and think he is as tough as they come and prepared to put the hard work in but I can also see Bateman doing a good job for us too.