Kidd exit opens door for Koukash

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Kidd exit opens door for Koukash

Post by josie andrews »

John Kidd has quit as Swinton chairman in a move that paves the way for Salford owner Marwan Koukash to take over the Championship One club.

Kidd, 66, stood down with immediate effect after 11 years at the helm after watching his plans for a new stadium fall through.

"It has been difficult guiding a club with no home ground of its own and it has been a bitter disappointment that our dream of a new stadium at Agecroft has not been fulfilled," he said.

"Now is the time to hand over the reins to others to try and achieve the goal of bringing the club back within the Swinton boundary."

The club, who ground-share with Leigh at Leigh Sports Village, say negotiations are at an advanced stage on plans to re-structure the board with the arrival of new shareholders.

The Swinton Lions Supporters Trust, who will also join the board and play an integral role in the future running of the club, held talks with Koukash on Thursday night.

The millionaire racehorse owner, who has made a major cash injection in an attempt to transform the fortunes of Super League club Salford, has spoken of his desire to take over Swinton and build a new stadium.

"The aim is to make Swinton far stronger and see them emerge as a force in the Championship," Koukash said. "They could in the future go all the way.

"Manchester currently has two football clubs in the Premier League. I see no reason why the same thing could not happen in Super League with Swinton and Salford up there together competing."

Former Wales international Ian Watson has been appointed player-coach of the Lions, with Marlon Billy as his assistant, and they have assembled a squad of 15 players so far.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... 9120398/-?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Re: Kidd exit opens door for Koukash

Post by Owd Codger »

I am more inclined to think that he has bought Swinton to eventually merge into the Salford club as one bigger club representing the whole of the City of Salford, especially when it is obvious that there is no support by the Council for Swinton having a ground of their own and they are playing in another town.

Even the Town Hall of the City of Salford is the former Town Hall of Swinton.

Common sense if you ask me, especially when it is rumoured that he wants a more central location for Salford to play instead of the present ground which not attracting the support he wants.

ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I must admit I like this guy, he has put his money where his mouth is and has done all he said he would do, the RFL should back him as it is a long time since we had this kind of backing for the RFL. He also has the kind of money to be the main sponsor for the game. I as a Wigan fan welcome a strong Salford and Swinton
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ddtftf wrote:I must admit I like this guy, he has put his money where his mouth is and has done all he said he would do, the RFL should back him as it is a long time since we had this kind of backing for the RFL. He also has the kind of money to be the main sponsor for the game. I as a Wigan fan welcome a strong Salford and Swinton
Totally agree and it is an awful long way away but we need RL to be healthy in Manchester and eventually in Liverpool.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

That story had me shakin all over! Wonder if his pirates have gone with him?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I just hope he doesn`t buy Leigh, I could not stand to have them back in super league, we have enough with Warrington fans. Sorry add Leeds to that, but just to prove I am not prejudice, I like St Helens fans at least they are fair and do not cause any problems.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I'd love to have a strong, competitive Leigh team back in SL ! It's a real rugby town, but has had little success over the last decade or two. If they were on an even keel with the top teams, just imagine how good the atmosphere at the DW would be, as their fans do travel well to away games. It would be great for the strength of our game to have another 'heartland' club fighting for top honours.

As for their fans, every club has its few idiots but mainly it's just banter which may occasionally go slightly over, as local rivalry kicks in. I could put up with that for 1 or 2 games a season ! Think it would be great. :o
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Are Leigh viable as a SL entity though? Their own Director elsewhere is stating they are budgeting for attendances of approx 2000 and that they have assured the RFL they could run a SL Leigh on averages of less than 4000.

He openly states that BUT an it is a HUGE BUT, it is based on the presumption the cap stays low and that the competition continues to be dumbed down. If the cap was increased Leigh could not survive in SL!!

ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I think Leigh have stopped taking our players on loan because we poached one of theirs, and they think we are doing a scouting mission. God forbid we would do such a thing lol.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ddtftf wrote:I think Leigh have stopped taking our players on loan because we poached one of theirs, and they think we are doing a scouting mission. God forbid we would do such a thing lol.
More they genuinely believe they should be in SL and that most Leythers genuinely hated the system AND/OR being linked to Wigan (far less moaning the previous season when it was Wire) albeit they benefited from it much more than we did. There is nothing wrong with being in a healthy 2nd or 3rd or whatever tier but that is lost on Leythers.