Leigh v Wigan Friendly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Leigh v Wigan Friendly

Post by josie andrews »

Three Set for Wigan Debuts at Leigh

Wigan Warriors are set to give debuts this Sunday to new signings Dan Sarginson, John Bateman and Sam Hopkins in their first pre-season run out of 2014 against Leigh Centurions at LSV, 3pm kick off.

Sarginson joined Wigan from London in the close season while John Bateman is another of the Club's new faces this year arriving from Bradford Bulls. Sam Hopkins meanwhile heads straight back to Leigh having made the short move across the borough and is the third new face in the squad.

Wigan also include a host of players with First Team experience in Anthony Gelling, Iain Thornley,
Sam Powell, Dom Crosby, Logan Tomkins and Greg Burke.

Youngsters Ryan Hampshire, Dom Manfredi, Joe Burgess and George Williams will also get a run out in the fixture.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... vqL1Xto.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the winky one

Re: wigan +leigh friendly rip off

Post by the winky one »

paulthewarrior wrote:with leigh charging 14 or 16 on the day against wigan then 2 wks later its only 8 pound against warrington. i think its to much for a friendly but thats not the worse part shaun wane then puts out a young and weak team again just like last year. i am not being rude to any of players but putting anthony gelling logan tomkins and dom crosby who are all squad players at best as our experience players is a joke. it is embarrising as we will get smashed like last years game. i have been waiting since october since we beat warrington in grand final to be so disapointed like this. whats the point in having friendly if shaun wane never put a proper team out in any friendly games.i dnt mind giving the young players chance but they play the friendlys and 90% dnt play hardly any super league games so its just a pointless exercise in my view. Look at last seasons start was terrible has none of them had any match fitness as shaun wane never played any of senior squad for any real time. i am going to sydney and go home and away to every game before anybody thinks i am not a rwal fan and dnt get me wrong i love shaun wane as our coach but just wish he would take these friendly more serious and realise leigh as a proper derby match with a full team at least for 40 mins with it be so expensive. so i have with a heavy heart decided not to go as i can watch the youth players for free at orrell and not watching leigh smash us with them thinking its there grand final

If he puts half a team out fans should only be charged half price.....seems reasonable to me do you agree?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yet people happily paid when we fielded youngsters, possibly weaker teams in the regular season :conf: We are fielding a strong team who can win and win comfortably v Leigh.

Remember the Wire v Leigh game is less £s because it is an U20 fixture.
paulthewarrior

Re: wigan +leigh friendly rip off

Post by paulthewarrior »

i totally agree and 8 to 10 is fair price to me
paulthewarrior

Post by paulthewarrior »

i never agree with putting out a weak team anytime and i dnt think that team will beat leigh thats my point . Leigh have a decent team and full of ex super league players with experience.I have a season tck so i dnt pay for them
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Why should Leigh win? They operate on a championship salary scale, our young players are some of the best in Britain and several of the players mentioned will be expected to play SL numerous times in 2014. No room for excuses, we should beat Leigh!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

The result will much depend on how much the coaches feel a win to be absolutely necessary? Very often in the past, they place a higher significance on individual player performances and how they fit/gel into team patterns.

In Friendlies I think I remember matches they've lost against lower opposition, when they say they were concentrating on the defensive side, with plenty of bombed chances with ball in hand. Then next time round they emphasise the attacking/handling game. After two or three of these Friendlies they then hope to see all aspects of play come together and a more complete performance.

They also take the opportunity to chuck in a number youngsters making their debuts, to see how they cope; - all part of their rugby education.

I've noticed in recent years, results tending to reflect a performance rather than a result, especially with all matches now played away from the dw, they possibly feel there's not so much pressure on to win, so can experiment more when the result isn't too important (other than to the fans!).
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Not all bad Leigh sell Wigan pies
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

will it be ont radio
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yes, deffo on Leythers radio and probably on WISH FM