Re: SL SPONSOR

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Do we have to descend to the level of idiot Latic's supporters on Wigan Today?
Whelley Warrior wrote:What, like growing up?
You have added nothing relevant to this thread... my comment and (I assume) those of others were meant as a humorus observation of the RFL's inability to find a suitable sponsor for a sport which apart from a handful of clubs clearly lacks money/funding.

I wonder if you would like to add a comment which actually relates to the subject matter?
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

El Bobbers wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Do we have to descend to the level of idiot Latic's supporters on Wigan Today?
Whelley Warrior wrote:What, like growing up?
You have added nothing relevant to this thread... my comment and (I assume) those of others were meant as a humorus observation of the RFL's inability to find a suitable sponsor for a sport which apart from a handful of clubs clearly lacks money/funding.

I wonder if you would like to add a comment which actually relates to the subject matter?
I often wonder why people engage on forums when they lack a sense of humour. It's usually replaced with I'll informed arrogance.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Won't say too much as we don't know what the terms of the deal are.

Have to say rather underwhelming though. Initially reaction was "Who???" sound very much like a company who in the next 12 months could be huge, but could equally (in fact probably more likely) be bust/swallowed up by one of the big boys.

RL has had some pretty decent coverage in the last 12 months with the World Cup and really can't help but think that the RFL have missed the window of opportunity. Last October/Novemeber, RL was in the global spotlight. That was the time for the RFL to be saying to these companies, "Isn't this a great spectacle, we're actually looking for a sponsor for the League at the moment"

I know i'm making a fatal error there however in assuming these people have common sense!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Another massive anti climax thanks to the fat controller and his chums, so the greatest game on earth is only worth the 7th biggest utility company in the country as a sponsor, these people really are useless, still at least we're getting money this time, Shame we couldn't get United Utilities seeing as they once got such great exposure with RL, all be it under their old name.
markill

Post by markill »

It isn't a household name, but then neither were Engage and I don't think we were this critical at the time.

Its a sponsor, who has paid money to the RFL/Super League to sponsor the competition, so in those regards steps forward have been made.

Not exactly what we would want or think our competition deserves, but its better than the last two years.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Now known as the FU Super League :blush:
Oh the irony!!

However, can I apologise for my initial post on this thread commenting on the large arse of Nigel wood.

I recognise this is a serious subject and Nigel is probably the butt of a lot of jokes about his size.

For causing such offence to fans from Whelley, I apologise unreservedly.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Not a rumour any more and so I moved it here.

First Utility are the sponsors. They have about 120,000 mostly very unhappy customers if you do Google search.

They came up with this blinder only the other week:

Energy firm First Utility suggests clients give up tea and shower with other people to cut costs

It has been posted elsewhere the deal is worth £750K a season for three seasons. If so and if that only went to the 14 Sl clubs there are today that is £53K each per season. Peanuts really.

Arriva pay the RFU £20m for four seasons.

I am afraid it is still a case of "must try harder" for the RFL.
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Not normally one that backs the idiots at the RFL, but for once maybe people should think of it the other way ....

Maybe they did search hard and push for sponsors during the RLWC.:conf:
Maybe they did reject loads of other lesser deals by larger company's :conf:
Maybe this Utility company was the best offer they could get :(
Maybe large sponsorship deals will never come to pass in our great sport :(

which would lead to the frightening ....

Maybe we really are on the downward slope to ruin :o
Maybe we are seen as a joke northern sport :o
Maybe we are blinkered idiots who believe because our sport is a great spectacle (and it is) then we deserve more .....

Maybe we have all become deluded, optimistic dreamers who believe companies actually give a crap about all that razzle dazzle.

Maybe ....... :exc:
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:Not normally one that backs the idiots at the RFL, but for once maybe people should think of it the other way ....

Maybe we are blinkered idiots who believe because our sport is a great sceptical (and it is) then we deserve more .....

Maybe we have all become deluded, optimistic dreamers who believe companies actually give a crap about all that razzle dazzle.

I think we are dreamers xWigan Warriorx Until we get a profile to compete with Union we will never get the sponsership we undoubtedly deserve despite the efforts of the RFL. We need bums on seats fillimg the stadia. We need greater media coverage especially in the national press. The bigger the audiance the better the chances of big companies showing interest.The product is very good butsadly the interest is there for all to see
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

devon jim 1 wrote:
x Wigan Warrior x wrote:Not normally one that backs the idiots at the RFL, but for once maybe people should think of it the other way ....

Maybe we are blinkered idiots who believe because our sport is a great sceptical (and it is) then we deserve more .....

I think we are dreamers xWigan Warriorx Until we get a profile to compete with Union we will never get the sponsership we undoubtedly deserve despite the efforts of the RFL. We need bums on seats fillimg the stadia. We need greater media coverage especially in the national press. The bigger the audiance the better the chances of big companies showing interest.The product is very good butsadly the interest is there for all to see
And whose job is it to raise the profile of the game?

It no use excusing the RFL for getting poor sponsorship because the profile of the game means that is all we can expect when it's the RFL's job to raise the profile of the game in the first place.

Wood has been in the job since 2007. After he left Halifax facing a winding up order!

After 7 years we are supposed to be grateful he has raised the profile of the game sufficiently to secure sponsorship of £750K for three seasons?

Really?