Dallas off too.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: Dallas off too.

Post by mrs_carney »

hmmm no first choice wingers, i'm sensing aspy on the wing :(

melling, colbon, wild, vaealiki, aspinwall, orr, moran, hargreaves, godwin, guisset, allen, tomkins, botham, hansen, newton, tickle, sculthorpe

perhaps
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I and most others would miss Dallas immensely, but in one way you can see some reasons to let him go, if we have the chance to sign another top class centre or winger on a fairly long contract then in some ways you can see why we would release Dallas, after all he only has a year left, you have to think long term, what is better for the team in the long term, keeping a player for 1 more year, or releasing him in favour of a younger player who has plenty more seasons left in him. If he was released and we signed a truely world class winger or even centre in his place whos best years were ahead of him you could see the logic behind it, if not then what the hell is going on.

Either way Dallas has turned into an icon at Wigan, and if he is released, we better have a dam good player lined up to take his quota spot with plenty of years ahead of him, if he is released so we could sign Hooper to play centre and get Calderwood for the wing, I will not be a happy camper at all.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

ChrisA posted:

I and most others would miss Dallas immensely, but in one way you can see some reasons to let him go, if we have the chance to sign another top class centre or winger on a fairly long contract then in some ways you can see why we would release Dallas, after all he only has a year left, you have to think long term, what is better for the team in the long term, keeping a player for 1 more year, or releasing him in favour of a younger player who has plenty more seasons left in him. If he was released and we signed a truely world class winger or even centre in his place whos best years were ahead of him you could see the logic behind it, if not then what the hell is going on.

Either way Dallas has turned into an icon at Wigan, and if he is released, we better have a dam good player lined up to take his quota spot with plenty of years ahead of him, if he is released so we could sign Hooper to play centre and get Calderwood for the wing, I will not be a happy camper at all.
I'm sure DaveO would say that Wigan should not try offloading Dallas because we still have a year left of his contract to honour.

I would agree with that, I can see what you're saying ChrisA but there's always next season to sign a world class winger. Trying to offload him to replace him with a younger model would be a bit a kick in the balls to a player that has given the club so much and gives players like Carney every right not to honour their contracts.
Welski

Post by Welski »

I think you could understand it more if the prospects for fresh talent and the promise of having Superleagues most successful manager at the helm for next year weren't apparent.

I would be surprised if BD left of his own volition before his contract is up. If on the other hand IM has plans that don't include him then IMO it would be a wrong move but then again IM has proved his ability in the area of recruitment.

I suppose using a football analogy its akin to Arsenal offloading Viera and that Wenger bloke seems just as shrewd as our Ian!

Heres hoping !
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ChrisA posted:
To me, the argument that we might get a better, or at least younger, good prospect player this year so we'd better release players early is a bit of a nonsense. There may be such players available this year, but there will also be such players available next year as well. There are players coming off-contract every year and it's not like there is a single super-class winger available this year. Calderwood happens to be available for next year (not that I'm saying he's definitely going to sign, and there may be others available), but who might be available next year who's better than him?

I've said for a while that the club seems to be having a policy of ditching all its top names, thankfully Rads has bucked that trend but then we have Carney going next year so there's another one out. I can't really see any benefit in releasing Dallas early, I've not seen enough of Calderwood to know but does he really look to be a better player than Dallas in the long term? I'm not convinced. On top of that, how certain is it that Dallas is retiring after next season? He wouldn't be the first player to say "I'm retiring" then change his mind, and if the legs can keep going then wingers can have longer careers than almost anyone else (Mark Forster, Anthony Sullivan and Chariots spring to mind from the last few seasons, all well into their 30's, Forster heading off towards 40, when they retired).
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Fraggle posted:
ChrisA posted:
To me, the argument that we might get a better, or at least younger, good prospect player this year so we'd better release players early is a bit of a nonsense. There may be such players available this year, but there will also be such players available next year as well. There are players coming off-contract every year and it's not like there is a single super-class winger available this year. Calderwood happens to be available for next year (not that I'm saying he's definitely going to sign, and there may be others available), but who might be available next year who's better than him?

I've said for a while that the club seems to be having a policy of ditching all its top names, thankfully Rads has bucked that trend but then we have Carney going next year so there's another one out. I can't really see any benefit in releasing Dallas early, I've not seen enough of Calderwood to know but does he really look to be a better player than Dallas in the long term? I'm not convinced. On top of that, how certain is it that Dallas is retiring after next season? He wouldn't be the first player to say "I'm retiring" then change his mind, and if the legs can keep going then wingers can have longer careers than almost anyone else (Mark Forster, Anthony Sullivan and Chariots spring to mind from the last few seasons, all well into their 30's, Forster heading off towards 40, when they retired).
I'm not saying I want him to go, because I dont trust me, and I'm not saing I totally agree if the board do release him becasue of the reasons I mentioned above.
If we did however sign a truely world class centre say Matt Gidley as an example and did bring in Calderwood, to play outside him, you could see the sense in that as Gidley is one of the very best wingmans centres in the world, and 1 thing Calderwood can do is finish if hes given opportunities, and if he had a centre of the calibre of Gidley he would get them.
What I mean is, if we want to sign a centre, we are more than likely going to have to recruit an Aussie, that would mean losing a current overseas player, it would make sense to release Dalls, a guy in his last year and he could be replaced by Calderwood.

They may see it as a great centre/wing partnership which has plenty of time left is better than one great winger who is in his last season, which is what we have now.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ChrisA posted:
I'm not saying I want him to go, because I dont trust me, and I'm not saing I totally agree if the board do release him becasue of the reasons I mentioned above.
Sorry Chris, my comments weren't really meant as a criticism in that respect as I'm sure all of us would much rather Dallas stays than goes. I just have a general problem with all this releasing good players to take a gamble on a different player we don't really know which lots of people suggest.
If we did however sign a truely world class centre say Matt Gidley as an example and did bring in Calderwood, to play outside him, you could see the sense in that as Gidley is one of the very best wingmans centres in the world, and 1 thing Calderwood can do is finish if hes given opportunities, and if he had a centre of the calibre of Gidley he would get them.
What I mean is, if we want to sign a centre, we are more than likely going to have to recruit an Aussie, that would mean losing a current overseas player, it would make sense to release Dalls, a guy in his last year and he could be replaced by Calderwood.
Nice idea, but I really don't think we've got enough 20/20 slots to bring in both a centre and a GB-potential winger, especially since Milly seems to want Aspinwall to stay. I don't think we're looking at any more centres this year, we've got Roberts and Vaealiki plus possibly Aspy, Brown, Wild and probably a few others to cover that position. Alternatively, Roberts may replace Carney on the wing but we're still pretty full in the backline. Calderwood could replace Carney keeping Roberts in the wing, but then that means we'd need someone else again if Dallas were to be released. Can't really see how the combinations would work given that some of us already think we're over the 20/20 limit even releasing Carney!

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

Would anyone mind telling me who this 'Roberts' is?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Wizard_Millward posted:
Would anyone mind telling me who this 'Roberts' is?
Sorry, my bad. Pat Richards, not Roberts. Too many names.

[hr]
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Fraggle posted:
ChrisA posted:
Sorry Chris, my comments weren't really meant as a criticism in that respect as I'm sure all of us would much rather Dallas stays than goes. I just have a general problem with all this releasing good players to take a gamble on a different player we don't really know which lots of people suggest.
Nice idea, but I really don't think we've got enough 20/20 slots to bring in both a centre and a GB-potential winger, especially since Milly seems to want Aspinwall to stay. I don't think we're looking at any more centres this year, we've got Roberts and Vaealiki plus possibly Aspy, Brown, Wild and probably a few others to cover that position. Alternatively, Roberts may replace Carney on the wing but we're still pretty full in the backline. Calderwood could replace Carney keeping Roberts in the wing, but then that means we'd need someone else again if Dallas were to be released. Can't really see how the combinations would work given that some of us already think we're over the 20/20 limit even releasing Carney!
All I'm saying is that lets look who he wants to bring in to take up the quota spot, he may pull out a Jamie Lyon type signing and surprise everyone.
There must be a very good reason to release someone who has been our best player all year, or at least you would hope so.
I mentioned Gidley as he is out of contract, or has been told he can leave. Hes only just turned 27 in the last few weeks so by the end of next season he will still only be 28, we could get 4 seasons from him easily, and the thought of a such a quality centre inside Richards or Calderwood is a good one.

Regarding space on the 20/20, we have lost Carney and maybe Dallas, add to that I reckon a good 4 or 5 players will be told they have no future and allowed to leave at the end of the year, most players wouldnt have any probs finding new clubs. point is we dont really know who will be here next year, Millward will have something lined up and Dallas leaving may be part of the bigger picture, only time will tell.