Warriors Name Squad for Season Opener

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
East Stand Faithful

Re: Warriors Name Squad for Season Opener

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I seem to remember we struggled in the pack against Hudds last year so I would put Crosby in over gelling and Hughes.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

I think he'll go with the same 13 that started against Saints with Pettybourne, Crosby, Mcilorum all on the bench. Questions is does he go with Bateman or Hughes for the last spot. I prefer the former but I think wane will go with the later.

Gelling 19th Man
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League briefing

Team news and statistics ahead of Friday night's First Utility Super League opener between Warrington and Wigan.

Wigan teenager Joe Burgess is set to deputise for the injured Josh Charnley as the champions begin their title defence without five members of their Grand-Final team. Matt Bowen, Eddy Pettybourne, John Bateman, Dan Sarginson and Tony Clubb are all set to make their Warriors debuts.

Huddersfield will give debuts to new signings Antonio Kaufusi, Chris Bailey and Jodie Broughton but second rower Jason Chan is out after picking up a knock in training.

Last season: Wigan 12 Huddersfield 30, Huddersfield 22 Wigan 10 .

Referee: Richard Silverwood (Mirfield).

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... 9152614/-?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Having seen Kaufusi and Bailey first hand we have absolutely nothing to fear from them. As we probably need Powell to spell for Mac, I am happy enough for Rocky to sit this one out. I would pick Bateman, but won't be concerned if he picks Hughes instead. We owe them one - they've beaten us at home far too often.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Looks ahead to Season Opener

Wigan begin the defence of their Super League crown for 2014 at the DW Stadium this Friday night against the Huddersfield Giants, 8pm kick off.

The season gets underway a week earlier for the Champions with the trip to Sydney for the World Club Challenge but Friday's fixture against the side that topped the competition after 27 rounds in 2013 is as tough as they come.

Head Coach Shaun Wane told us he is looking forward to the campaign getting underway,

"I am looking forward to it immensely. To have Huddersfield visiting the DW Stadium as the winners of the League Leaders last season before we head off to Sydney is a great thing for us and for me personally. Friday will be a really tough game, they beat us a couple of times last year but we beat them in the one that mattered. I imagine they will be much improved because the way they finished would be quite disappointing to them and I know Paul Anderson quite well and he will be making sure their performances will be much better.

"Huddersfield have alot of good players in their team and I think they will be quality again this year. I think the fact they now have one year under their belt I think they will be really hungry to take it further this time."

Asked about the importance of getting off to a winning start Shaun added,

"We want to build some momentum and we will do that by doing what we do well. When we attack with a bit of fluidity then we seem to score tries so that is what we need to do. It's about doing it under a pressure situation.

"We are looking pretty healthy, hopefully Josh will be OK for the New Zealand game but we are in a great position with players fighting for places in the side and that is what I wanted. I don't want people feeling comfortable thinking they will get a start in every game. We are in a good position, the spirit is very good and all the players have been working very hard to ensure they get on the plane to Sydney and my job has been quite hard having to make these selections.

"We have lost some good players but we have signed some good players, good people off the field as well, but very competitive players on the field as well and I am happy with who we have got. I think all our new players have done really well and we are looking to hit our straps again this weekend."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 7vkwrfU.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

josie andrews wrote:Super League briefing

Team news and statistics ahead of Friday night's First Utility Super League opener between Warrington and Wigan.

Wigan teenager Joe Burgess is set to deputise for the injured Josh Charnley as the champions begin their title defence without five members of their Grand-Final team. Matt Bowen, Eddy Pettybourne, John Bateman, Dan Sarginson and Tony Clubb are all set to make their Warriors debuts.

Huddersfield will give debuts to new signings Antonio Kaufusi, Chris Bailey and Jodie Broughton but second rower Jason Chan is out after picking up a knock in training.

Josie,

I didn't realise we were playing Warrington :wink:
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Super League briefing

Josie,

I didn't realise we were playing Warrington :wink:
That is the competence of those who actually report on our sport! I had to check it wasn't the WEP ????????

I was waiting for someone to notice it beside me! :roll:

You are the first one ????
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

RobWigan wrote:Bowen
Burgess
Goulding
Sarginson
Thornley
Smith
Green
Taylor
Mcilorum
Flower
Clubb
Farrell
O Loughlin

Pettybourne,Bateman, Powell, Gelling

Hughes and Crosby to miss out? What do people reckon??
Not sure MM is 100% fit so I'd say Powell to get the 9 spot. Think I'd have Hughes over Gelling.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Having seen Kaufusi and Bailey first hand we have absolutely nothing to fear from them. As we probably need Powell to spell for Mac, I am happy enough for Rocky to sit this one out. I would pick Bateman, but won't be concerned if he picks Hughes instead. We owe them one - they've beaten us at home far too often.
Was thinking very much the same the other day about them beating us at home. Recently its been early season games but hopefully this time we will have the edge with fitness levels in preparation fot the WCC. Wigan by 10 points.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If Micky Mac is not fully fit should he even be playing? IMO, the squad does not resemble one picked on merit but who am I to say so. I have this belief that Hampshire could be used as shock tactic for brief spells at 9 if needed whilst Matty B may need time to settle in. I personally think it will take Matty time to adjust to the way we play and SL play because our style of play is very different from that of the Cowboys. I hope the fans give Bowen time. He may need Rocky on the bench to help him adjust to life in SL / at Wigan.