DW Atmosphere v Huddersfield ... or lack of?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: DW Atmosphere v Huddersfield ... or lack of?

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:YeH apart from the droning "Wigan, Wigan, Wigan" I heard no "songs"
LOL, I was going to say exactly the same in my previous message WF1985 but thought best not for any backlash that might come my way. :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I was the only one singing where I am :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

In the South stand only people trying to sing where little kids, all last season the dw was quiet apart from the odd game so it's nothing to do with and changes to the stadium
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The problem becomes one of expectation. We now expect to win everything and play well and just as at CP it takes a lot to get the crowd enthused. Today, the fans either need to something amazing or become agitated at a referee / brawl/fight between players.

At crisis times the crowd comes to the fore such as the relegation battle season (which renders the DW argument in part redundant, albeit I think standing rather than sitting = more noise). I think the VR stoppages, certainly too many damaged atmosphere.

To be hit so early and to struggle for decent field posituion for the first 40 in particular kills atmosphere. I thought when we came back there was a chance the game could swing our way and the crowd would become enthused BUT Hudd soon killed that idea / enthusiasm etc.

Right or wrong the bunch of 'exciteable' (polite term) young men at the bck of the South and Away were discouraged last season after it seemed to go too far!
markill

Post by markill »

It was quiet. I heard singing when watching the game back that I didn't hear in the stadium at the time. Don't know what that says of the new singing section etc. Any noise certainly didn't spread to where I was sat and the few times I tried to get some noise going there wasn't much back up around, especially after that short kick off arrested our momentum
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

I thought it was bad how at 20 to go, an awful lot of our 'fans' were leaving. Its disgusting and disrespectful behavior IMO. True fans support bad and good performances
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

TBH a lot of Wigan fans analyse our team more than support it .... The amount of idiots saying " he's crap " and " why did he get in the team " was annoying.
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

I agree, there were a few fools (more than a few) who were talking absolute dribble. I am by no means a rugby expert, so keep my opinions to myself and try to enjoy the game.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

PaulC wrote:I thought it was bad how at 20 to go, an awful lot of our 'fans' were leaving. Its disgusting and disrespectful behavior IMO. True fans support bad and good performances
Those who leave early show no consideration for those who stop to the end and want to watch the game, irrespective of the score.

Too many here in Wigan, hence the name of the 'Wigan Walk'.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

The atmosphere was terrible, but Ive only really known a good proper atmosphere a few times at the DW. Mainly against Stains or Leeds, but particularly when we were facing the drop. I didnt even notice the pop. The west stand was dead too but I didnt really expect much from there. People just sit, watch and mutter. There doesnt seem to even be a buzz of people talking or anything. Its like theyre embarrassed to be in public almost, just totally surreal. Wont be going back there again.
There was a moment at was it 4-12 we were applying pressure, the atmosphere lit up a bit. When Burgess scored there was a bit of a roar but Hudds scored and closed the game out after that. It always seems better when we attack towards the South second half though.