Latest news from New Zealand

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Latest news from New Zealand

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Thanks for the history lesson MT, but the Gimble has hit the nail on the head re. my point exactly!!
And here's me thinking this was a rumour mill?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I can still remember the days here (the UK) MT when trying to watch RL other than live was a needle in a haystack and mine and others salvation was a weekly trip to Micron Video to hire a 2 hour NSWRL (as it was then called) highlights video and watching Wigan and Brits players rip up the NRL. Ellery most famously but many others did likewise. Few fans know IMO that the best spell of RL I ever saw Joe Lydon play was guesting on the wing for the then Eastern Suburbs. Great days watching 6,7,8 Wigan players cutting it in the NRL.

Wiganers traditionally support past players when they move (there are odd exceptions but by and large it is the case).

Mean Dean remains a hero here rather than the enemy. He was hard as for a fairly small guy. If you ever get the chance look for a You Tube video were Jarrod McCracken absolutely 'creams' Dean with a belter (partly illegal IIRC, did a Terry Lamb on Ellery at the end) and Bell would not lie down, he still got up and played on despite seeing stars!.

Gimble is correct though this thread should be in the general RL forum.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Thread Moved
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

Wigan holding open session tomorrow
Richard Becht
Monday 10 February 2014 4:32 PM
safe_image.php.
New Wigan signing Matt Bowen in media mode at Auckland International Airport today.

Dual Challenge Cup-Super League champions the Wigan Warriors have invited the public to watch their only training session in Hamilton tomorrow ahead of Wednesday night’s ‘Clash of the Warriors’ against the Vodafone Warriors at Waikato Stadium (7.30pm kick-off).

The run has been confirmed to start at Waikato Stadium at 11.30am, less than 24 hours after the Wigan travelling party touched down at Auckland International Airport this afternoon.

Fans wishing to attend the training session tomorrow should enter Waikato Stadium through Gate 5.

Head coach Shaun Wane, new signings Matt Bowen and Eddy Pettybourne plus former Parramatta, Cronulla and Canterbury-Bankstown playmaker Blake Green fielded media interviews before the touring squad headed to Hamilton.

A pool recovery session was scheduled as the Wigan Warriors attempted to shake off the effects of a rigorous programme which saw them open their 2014 Super League title defence against Huddersfield (8-24 home defeat) on Saturday morning (NZT) before their long flight to New Zealand.

Christchurch-born Pettybourne, now with Wigan after more than 100 NRL games for South Sydney and Wests Tigers, was excited about being back home in New Zealand for a visit which is set to give him a chance to lock horns with the Vodafone Warriors as well as being part of the crowd at the sold-out NRL Auckland Nines this weekend.

Pettybourne was brought into the Kiwis’ squad during their 2009 Four Nations campaign but didn’t play a game. He subsequently represented Toa Samoa and qualified to play for the United States Tomahawks at last year’s Rugby League World Cup.

Wane said the ‘Clash of the Warriors’ was ideal for Wigan’s preparation for the World Club Challenge. He also welcomed the chance to be able to prepare in New Zealand, the squad moving to Auckland on Thursday where Wigan will use the Vodafone Warriors’ training facilities at Mount Smart Stadium and attend the Nines before leaving for Sydney next week.

Among the other players in Wigan’s squad are Logan Tomkins, younger brother of new Vodafone Warrior Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Michael McIlorum, Sean O' Loughlin and Darrell Goulding.

Wigan’s squad is: Matthew Bowen, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Matthew Smith, Blake Green, Michael McIlorum, Sean O' Loughlin, Eddy Pettybourne, Tony Clubb, Scott Taylor, Ben Flower, Liam Farrell, Jordan James, Gil Dudson, Sam Powell, Dom Crosby, John Bateman, Anthony Gelling, Dom Manfredi, George Williams, Ryan Hampshire, Dan Sarginson, Logan Tomkins, Greg Burke, Iain Thornley, Jack Hughes, Joe Burgess.

Traditionally the NRL premiers travel to England for the World Club Challenge against the Super League champions but, in a major reversal, the contest has been set down for Sydney’s Allianz Stadium this time. On February 22 Wigan will take on the Sydney Roosters, seeking to match the 1994 achievement when the Graeme West-coached Warriors stunned Wayne Bennett’s champion Brisbane side 20-14 in front of a record crowd of 54,220 at ANZ Stadium. Both sides had all-star line-ups.

The Broncos boasted Willie Carne, Wendell Sailor, Steve Renouf, Chris Johns, Michael Hancock, Kevin Walters, Allan Langer, Glenn Lazarus, Kerrod Walters, Andrew Gee, Mark Hohn, Alan Cann, Julian O’Neill, John Plath, Peter Ryan, Brett Galea and Chris McKenna.

And Wigan had Gary Connolly, Jason Robinson, Sam Panapa, Barrie Jon-Mather, Martin Offiah, Frano Botica, Shaun Edwards, Neil Cowie, Martin Dermott, Billy McGinty, Denis Betts, Andy Farrell, Phil Clarke, Va’aiga Tuigamala, Martin Hall, Mick Cassidy and Paul Atcheson.

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/ ... rrow/90226

Good show by Wigan Inviting NZ Fans to watch them train tomorrow.

I'm pleased the Sister Club arrangement sees Wigan use our Multi Million dollar Gym upgrade to prep for the WCC.

I've been in the new gym set up.

Do Wigan have an Oxgyen training room ? there is one at the NZW with bikes in it.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We do not have an oxygen training room but I think we are fairly well equipped.

Is interest building / great there Mt Smart for the Warriors v Warriors clash?
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

cpwigan wrote:We do not have an oxygen training room but I think we are fairly well equipped.

Is interest building / great there Mt Smart for the Warriors v Warriors clash?
Yeah the Reports from the NZ visit to Wigan ( last years visit ) was they took a lot of notes away about the Gym set up.

As for interest in the game, I asked a few of the Hamilton Locals today ( on your behalf ).

Interest in the Game is not what it should be / could have been CP.

Largely down to Sky NZ not really promoting it as they should ( as you are aware question marks hung over whether they were going to cover the game up until recently ).

Amongst the League Fraternity interest is high , this is tempered by the competing priorities of the Titans last weekend....Wigan Mid Week.....then the NRL Nines this weekend.

Thousands are traveling from Hamilton for the nines, It costs a lot = less will attend the Wigan trial than would normally turn up for a fixture like this.

There was around a hundred people at Training today and half that lot were from a local school.

I had the privilege of shaking Shaun Wane and Lockers hands today and wishing them well for the WCC. They were very warm and genuine blokes.

Met Rads who said that Dean Bell has kitted them out with all the training balls , Kicking Tees.....etc anything they need....the Sister Club thing is well and truly cemented.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

There were the portable, if that's the right word, oxygen chambers for the players on Friday after the game v Giants
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

josie andrews wrote:There were the portable, if that's the right word, oxygen chambers for the players on Friday after the game v Giants
ah ok that would make sense. The NZW are very proud of their 02 room with exercise bikes for the players to use.

Apart from the usual weights lay out that room stands out as unique and there is a set of training bars and ropes hanging from the ceiling which are Ruben Wiki's special little pain infliction set up ( designed by him for him to practice a version of Rugby league S & M on the players ) I've had a go at it....it is nasty.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Losing the players you mention will not make the slightest difference to the majority of supporters as they know that with the possible exception of Sam, new quality players will replace them as they have for most of the club's history.
I disagree. I can't remember a time when Wign were a selling club.

And there is a difference between players fulfilling their contracts and being sold early and I think this will affect fans support.

Why invest in a season ticket if all you hear about is this years best player leaving? This year it's Sam. H's future isn't sorted. Who will it be next year? Charnley?

Players like Joel and Mossop are not as easily replaced as you seem to think.

Lockers isn't going to go on forever and when he does retire if we have kept letting players like those I mention leave there is no way what will be a young and inexperienced side will be delivering the same quality of RL.

IMO you saw a glimpse of this future when we played Widnes on 7th June.

How can you keep saying we are a selling club when today there is more money in the NRL and Union and certain players themselves indicate they want to leave for more money and we also have a situation where contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. If a player is determined to leave and want more money in the NRL and Union, them all our game can do is make sure we get a good transfer fee for that player and replace him with another good player from the academy setup or elsewhere. Most of our players are content to play in our game and are not interested in uprooting to go down under or play in what I suspect they consider to be, a inferior game like Union.

Like others have said, all we can do his keep the conveyor line going and hope that not only do we keep in front of the rest, but some of the players show a more sense of loyalty to our game like Kris Radlinski, Keiron Cunningham and others did a few seasons ago!

As for Joel Tomkins, he as hardly been missed since he left, while Mossop last season was not as effective as in previous seasons and even overshadowed by other props at the club. Lockers is indeed nearing the end of his career but I am in no doubt that the club are planning for that day and will replace him with another good loose forward either from within or outside the club.

Keep the faith, I am!

markill

Post by markill »

josie andrews wrote:There were the portable, if that's the right word, oxygen chambers for the players on Friday after the game v Giants
Were they not cryo-chambers Josie? Like extreme ice baths, cooled players down in minutes.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod