too ian lenaghan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gillysmyhero

Re: too ian lenaghan

Post by gillysmyhero »

We lost to the best team in the world on their own ground. While I agree with some of the comments ie goal kicker and how poor Bowen played but I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I thought we might have struggled last year and how wrong I was proved to be. In Wane we trust.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

gillysmyhero wrote:We lost to the best team in the world on their own ground. While I agree with some of the comments ie goal kicker and how poor Bowen played but I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I thought we might have struggled last year and how wrong I was proved to be. In Wane we trust.
IMO it's not losing that is the problem or some dodgy first half referee decisions, some you win some you lose I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with how a certain fullback performed and his complete lack of respect for the shirt, hopefully he proves us all wrong
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

he s tryin to do it on the cheap ,maybe some of them youngsters will come good but you need that experience around them to bring them on who in that team apart from lockers would you class as a mentor I mean he s even re signed Jordan james and for your info kittwazzer I posted after id watched the match I didn't get the pleasure to watch it live due to work .
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Possibly relying on the old "You playbfor Wigan so have a right to be a brilliant player" well unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
Up The Mont!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

To a certain degree you have a point IL has done things on the cheap. Facts due point to that in players going for transfer fees etc.

But is anyone can just slag off SOL, Green or Smith after winning the double last season then you have gone to Rekall had hand a mind wipe holiday.

Just a reminder

SOL - Played in both finals on 1 leg and won. If that was Andy Farrell some would have had an orgasm still today about it.

Smith - Lance Todd winner and if anyone thinks he is not good enough then really does the double and not good enough. Dam he played for Saints so he is crap forgot.

Green - Sunderland Trophy winner with one eye and set up countless tries all season. If we had gone all out to win the shield last season we would have topped 1000 points but we held back after getting top 4.

I agree re Powell and Lauaki both flops for more off field issues than on. But apart from 2 players in 4 years who have been poor its not that bad. But as usual when we lose you can not give a balanced post about the postivies he has got on the cheap.

What about Taylor, Flower, Dudson all signed by IL on the cheap and progressed. Not to mention Sarginsson this season as well as Bateman. I do wonder if people post here on emotion too soon without looking at it objectively.

IL is a cheap owner but won 2 SL GF 2 CC finals and 2 LLS and that's on the cheap. And last season SOL, Green and Smith were instrumental in doing what most though impossible a double. Something some of our world class players since in the inception of SL failed to do.

But dam i forgot we lost to an exceptional Roosters side in Sydney. And for what its worth SOL was our best player. As for Bowen he has a 2-3 games to prove himself or Hampshire will go into full back. Though i would really like to see Burgess given a shot at it. He has pace to burn
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Bowen - I have a fear that he is going to do just enough to keep his body safe for the next year he doesn't look willing to put himself on the line for us

That was my view as well yesterday. Can't recall him attempting a single kick return, it seemed he was determined not to take a tackle. If he thinks he will get away with that under Wane, his Wigan career will be a very shortlived affair!
Bowen was a disgrace, he was just going through the motions.He was not on his own quite a few of our players did not look up for it.Why did we not invest in a goal kicker I can not understand. We strugled every time last season when Richards was missing,it was quite clear we needed to replace him in the goal kicking department. At half time a rooster player said his team were a bit rusty and would get better when there season started, it only showed how much better than us they are, I am only glad they were not at full steam as it would have been unwatchable
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

thegimble wrote:
Smith - Lance Todd winner and if anyone thinks he is not good enough then really does the double and not good enough. Dam he played for Saints so he is crap forgot.

Green - Sunderland Trophy winner with one eye and set up countless tries all season. If we had gone all out to win the shield last season we would have topped 1000 points but we held back after getting top 4.

Sorry but I disagree

You said 'look at the facts' so I have

Starting with green

You say he set up countless tries the facts tell me he was 18th in the league with try assists behind the likes of;

Ranghi chase
Leon pryce
Michael Dobson
Lee briers
Richie myler
Tim smith

He didn't even make to top 50 in tries
14th in attacking kicks
And again not even in the top 50 in clean breaks

So how do the stats back up he is anything more than as I say an "average" player. Would he had won mom in the gf had he not had the black eye? Did he do anything exception other than be brave?

Smith doesn't make it the top 50 for tries either
38th in try assists
8th in attacking kicks
Not in top 50 for clean breaks

Not exactly "world class" either

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

thegimble wrote:

Sorry but I disagree

Starting with green

You say he set up countless tries the facts tell me he was 18th in the league with try assists behind the likes of;

Ranghi chase
Leon pryce
Michael Dobson
Lee briers
Richie myler
Tim smith

14th in attacking kicks

So how do the stats back up he is anything more than as I say an "average" player. Would he had won mom in the gf had he not had the black eye? Did he do anything exception other than be brave?

38th in try assists
8th in attacking kicks

He played less games in the regular rounds than all the players above him apart from Kevin Brown who i believe had a big injury early on. Percentage wise he is close if not in top 10 on average per game on assists. Easy enough to go off the players stats without checking the amount of games he played in the regular rounds. From what i can gather he played 21. Whilst most if not all the others played more. Would have been an interesting to see where he was in say July as we stopped playing in SL in the middle of that month.

Again look at the facts as a whole and not what you want to support your argument. But you still miss the biggest fact he did the double last season. A fact you seem all to willing not to give him any credit for.

I have never said he is world class. Super League only has 2 genuine world class players. SOL and Roby.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

thegimble wrote:
thegimble wrote:

Sorry but I disagree

Starting with green

Ranghi chase
Leon pryce
Michael Dobson
Lee briers
Richie myler
Tim smith

14th in attacking kicks

38th in try assists
8th in attacking kicks

He played less games in the regular rounds than all the players above him apart from Kevin Brown who i believe had a big injury early on. Percentage wise he is close if not in top 10 on average per game on assists. Easy enough to go off the players stats without checking the amount of games he played in the regular rounds. From what i can gather he played 21. Whilst most if not all the others played more. Would have been an interesting to see where he was in say July as we stopped playing in SL in the middle of that month.

Again look at the facts as a whole and not what you want to support your argument. But you still miss the biggest fact he did the double last season. A fact you seem all to willing not to give him any credit for.

I have never said he is world class. Super League only has 2 genuine world class players. SOL and Roby.
Your arguement had some credibility until the last point trying to say Roby is world class is absolute tosh, Mickey Mac out played him everytime weve played them for the last two seasons.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

slimshady wrote:
thegimble wrote:
Sorry but I disagree

Starting with green

Ranghi chase
Leon pryce
Michael Dobson
Lee briers
Richie myler
Tim smith

14th in attacking kicks

38th in try assists
8th in attacking kicks

Your arguement had some credibility until the last point trying to say Roby is world class is absolute tosh, Mickey Mac out played him everytime weve played them for the last two seasons.
Roby carries a side at times. Whilst Mac could fight a team on his own. MM will be a legend and will get better but for me over the last few years Roby has been better. But MM is not far behind.