Wigan v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan v Wakefield

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I thought that Lockers was outstanding in the first 40, he set the tone for the teams display.

Bateman went well and it was good to see Greg Burke get some game time, I still think that he will be a top player.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

mickw wrote:How matty Smith got M O M in front of joe burgess I don't know,the speed he showed to get to their guy and tackle him on the line was just as impressive as his try.a star in the making,possible future fullback maybe . just a thought.

Maybe Budgie lost the Sponsors' vote when he lost his breakfast? :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

A classical example of the lack of intensity within the Super League when one team filled with fringe players, some of whom had just come back from Australia can easily beat a near full strength team of another club.

A situation which will never change as long as some clubs, especially in Yorkshire, bury their heads in the sand and will not face up to the fact that time as come for some to merge and form bigger and stronger club's for the number of quality players in the game and also the stagnant number of people supporting the game.

It is all very well for the RFL to keep admitting new club's to the professional game, but it is quality club's that we need and not quantity.

With a club like Bradford facing a unsure future and others like London and Wakefield in a poor financial position, some radical changes need to be carried out otherwise our game will find it even more difficult to keep the better players and maintain or even attract new supporters.

I dread to think what state the game will be in the future when you look at the state it is in today!

East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Whelley Warrior wrote:A classical example of the lack of intensity within the Super League when one team filled with fringe players, some of whom had just come back from Australia can easily beat a near full strength team of another club.

A situation which will never change as long as some clubs, especially in Yorkshire, bury their heads in the sand and will not face up to the fact that time as come for some to merge and form bigger and stronger club's for the number of quality players in the game and also the stagnant number of people supporting the game.

It is all very well for the RFL to keep admitting new club's to the professional game, but it is quality club's that we need and not quantity.

With a club like Bradford facing a unsure future and others like London and Wakefield in a poor financial position, some radical changes need to be carried out otherwise our game will find it even more difficult to keep the better players and maintain or even attract new supporters.

I dread to think what state the game will be in the future when you look at the state it is in today!
I agree with you 100%.

Unfortunately the chances of anything changing anytime soon is fairly remote.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Nice to put 9 tries on yesterday. Some well worked ones as well.

Bateman is a real player, hope we don't wrap him up to much this season.

Clubb has his best game for us so far. Much more suited to being a prop IMO, hope he stays there.

Burgess & Hampshire showed class at times also.

All in all I don't think we could of expected or got much more out of that game all things considered.

nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

mickw wrote:How matty Smith got M O M in front of joe burgess I don't know,the speed he showed to get to their guy and tackle him on the line was just as impressive as his try.a star in the making,possible future fullback maybe . just a thought.

He did not get it from his goal kicking, it was crap never looked like he would score from the wings, HE CAN NOT REACH THE GOAL WHAT A WASTE OF TIME
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:A classical example of the lack of intensity within the Super League when one team filled with fringe players, some of whom had just come back from Australia can easily beat a near full strength team of another club.

Well my God, I think I am going to have to lie down. I can agree with a WW post 100%. Has someone hacked your account? :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AdamMac wrote:Nice to put 9 tries on yesterday. Some well worked ones as well.

Bateman is a real player, hope we don't wrap him up to much this season.

Clubb has his best game for us so far. Much more suited to being a prop IMO, hope he stays there.

Burgess & Hampshire showed class at times also.

All in all I don't think we could of expected or got much more out of that game all things considered.
What were the interceptions down to that got them points? Lack of familiarity between the side or more fundamental mistakes by players who ought to know better?

I could not make the game due to having to attend a Christening in Yorkshire and given when the next home game is am miffed at having missed the chance to watch Manfredi and other such players.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
AdamMac wrote:
What were the interceptions down to that got them points? Lack of familiarity between the side or more fundamental mistakes by players who ought to know better?

I could not make the game due to having to attend a Christening in Yorkshire and given when the next home game is am miffed at having missed the chance to watch Manfredi and other such players.
I felt that at 30-6 they were attacking the Wakefield line perhaps over-confidently and as you say, there was lack of familiarity on both wings yesterday. Highlight of the day was Sammut's interception and Manfredi chasing 60m to catch him and bring him down. Those new boys are something special!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote:
AdamMac wrote:

I felt that at 30-6 they were attacking the Wakefield line perhaps over-confidently and as you say, there was lack of familiarity on both wings yesterday. Highlight of the day was Sammut's interception and Manfredi chasing 60m to catch him and bring him down. Those new boys are something special!
Cheers for the info. Obviously great commitment and pace from Manfredi but I have to say ever since I saw Sammut play for the Crusaders v us at Wrexham I have always liked him. Offers value for money IMO. Not saying he's better than any half back at Wigan but he isn't over here for a rest or retirement.