Goalkicking Problems

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
chnwh

Re: Goalkicking Problems

Post by chnwh »

Not sure why Rocky wasn't kicking but I fully agree with OP that this will cost us in big games.

Leeds, Hudds and now Saints all have kickers you would back to kick a goal from anywhere and Ratchford isn't that bad.

Rocky would be my full back and kicker for the season to be honest.
Aluaka

Post by Aluaka »

chnwh wrote: Rocky would be my full back and kicker for the season to be honest.
You're a very wise man chnwh !

My sentiments exactly!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Aluaka wrote:
chnwh wrote: Rocky would be my full back and kicker for the season to be honest.

My sentiments exactly!
No argument from me either, but what will we do with Bowen?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Aluaka wrote:

My sentiments exactly!
Bowen has been signed for one season while Hampshire gains more experience and more game time this season. The same is being done with Powell at half back until Green ends his contract and the same has happened with others in the past like Micky Mac when Riddell was here.

Key players are now gradually blended into a team and not thrown in at the deep end like Edwards was a few season's ago and in some cases ruined with inexperience and being too young.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Rocky is still a young lad and he needs to be built up over this season. Kicking is a huge responsibility to have and I wouldn't like to see it have an effect on his game id rather he grew as a player first. If he is up to it then that's great but I think its a lot to ask of a junior to be kicking in potential cup finals where 2 points can be the difference between winning and losing.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

sheepsteeth wrote:
DaveO wrote:
sheepsteeth wrote:where we supposed to just sign someone who can kick goals? if so who should we have bought and who should we drop to fit them in?
No but when it obviously wasn't working with Smith try someone else. In fact they should have been trying several players from the outset.

Had they done so and still no one was up to it then you really do seriously have to look at looking outside the club.

Who specifically? No idea. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every professional player and their availability. It's the clubs job to locate one, not mine or any other fans.
Smith has had 3 competitive games, I didn't see the kicking agains Wakey but agains Hudds and the Roosters we scored about 5 tries and 4 of them where on the touchline so i think we need to give him a chance.

You also haven't really answered the point, do you think we should just sign a goal kicker if the rest of their game isn't up to it? Jamie Foster falls into this bracket in my opinion.

If we do sign someone just to kick goals who are we leaving out?

If this was the NFL then someone who is just a good goal kicker would be great.

Correct, signing and playing someone purely on goalkicking ability is a non starter.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Perhaps Bowen could be used as second hooker during a match or (bit of a long shot) to be on the bench to rest SOL in the course of matches this season. He has the build of a utility forward.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Although I agree that his kicking needs to be worked on, Smith needs a bit of slack.

As has been said, the ones he missed were pretty much all from out wide, and the conditions weren't perfect either.

Huddersfield have a decent kicker in the shape of Brough - but even he was kicking poorly against us (combination of it being the start of the season, the conditions, and that he was also kicking from out wide.

Pat has left behind some massive shoes to fill though.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Aluaka wrote:

My sentiments exactly!
Put a rocket up his a**e, play him at fullback and put rocky in at stand off.