Sam Tomkins to make debut

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Sam Tomkins to make debut

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Seems a lot slower to me - having said that I felt he had lost pace in his last season for us
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

It is only one game haha!!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Well he's only having an ok debut so far with the Warriors losing to the Eels 24 16 after 55 minutes.

Some nice touches from Sam but the eels winger Radradra with a hattrick has stole the limelight ( the Aussie commentators seem obsessed with his name).

Wouldn't you be? Radradradradra is almost as good as Fui Fui Fui Moi Moi Moi Moi Moi! :lol:
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

His weakness was always under the high ball and it showed again today.
A couple of nice touches from him. As it used to say on my school report must try harder :wink:
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

jobo wrote:He doesn't look a million $ player, that's for sure. The warriors are terrible.

Could be a long hard season for Sam.
And the fact that he had the try assist in two of the Warriors try's, and was instrumental in the third doesn't put a dent in your theory?
First game with the big lads, I don't think he came out that badly playing in an easily beaten team.

Warriors were undone down the edges to easily, and the decision to play Carlos Tuimavave instead of Konrad Hurrel didn't work out as planned.
jobo

Post by jobo »

i'm spartacus wrote:
jobo wrote:He doesn't look a million $ player, that's for sure. The warriors are terrible.

Could be a long hard season for Sam.
And the fact that he had the try assist in two of the Warriors try's, and was instrumental in the third doesn't put a dent in your theory?
First game with the big lads, I don't think he came out that badly playing in an easily beaten team.

Warriors were undone down the edges to easily, and the decision to play Carlos Tuimavave instead of Konrad Hurrel didn't work out as planned.
Not a theory, just an observation.
He didn't have the impact you might have expected. It's early days I know but unless the NZW's improve dramatically still say it's going to be a tough season for him.
natheel

Post by natheel »

Was hoping Moose would debut against his old team mate but unfortunately wasn't meant to be. A lot of Eels fans are shitty that he had to have off season surgery and will miss about 8 rounds. I'm happy because 1. it gives our young guys a chance and 2. I want him at 100% and he has stated he wants to be at Eels beyond his 3 years if it works out.

On Tomkins. Firstly i think the Warriors had used a bit of their pre-season to train specifically for the 9's tournament which he went very well in. Then the next week he came out and had a great game against Brisbane when Warriors belted them 48-4 in a trial match.

Eels are always a hard team to beat at Parramatta regardless of their standing on the ladder. We also had some new players in key areas. Will Hopoate, Corey Norman and Nathan Peats were all great today. So Warriors were a little ambushed i think. It was also very hot at the ground last night so that wouldn't have helped. Warriors usually struggle in the opening rounds because of the heat until about round 6 when it starts to cool a little.

Tomkins did ok. I expected our guys to target him and get Hayne to put some bombs up. He's a small guy and we have some big backs that can trouble him under the high ball. He was the only player (in my eyes) that really looked like he was going to create something for the Warriors and in the end we just got a bit of a role on.

Tuimavave was in over Hurrell because Hurrell is over weight and unfit (showed in the trials).

Met Moose at an open training day at Parramatta and he seems a really nice bloke. He said he is loving it at Parra but misses his Wigan mates and watches them when he can but he can't wait to get stuck in. I would say we will bring him in through Wentworthville (feeder club) to get him some game time. I think we will see him sooner rather than later returning from his injury.

Oh and if you're interested in watching it there will be full replays available on nrl.com
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

tbh he had a couple of good movements but last season NWZ lost more than they won.
These three together will be awsome
1 Kevin Locke
6 Sam Tomkins
7 Shaun Johnson
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Lets not get into the 'Latic's' supporters habit of calling a player when they leave the club.

From what I saw on what was his first game for the NZ Warriors, he was no better or worse than others in their team.

Good luck to him as from what I also saw of the NZ Warriors, it will be a long hard season for them.