Castleford v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: Castleford v Wigan

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I agree with most things that have recently been posted but one other thing we are missing and that is a true leader something we have not had for awhile. People can say Lockers, but no he is not a true leader. He does play his heart out and people can say he leads by example and if thats the case I would not disagree... We dont have anyone who can change things with a good stiff talking to on the field.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan Watcher wrote:I agree with most things that have recently been posted but one other thing we are missing and that is a true leader something we have not had for awhile. People can say Lockers, but no he is not a true leader. He does play his heart out and people can say he leads by example and if thats the case I would not disagree... We dont have anyone who can change things with a good stiff talking to on the field.
We haven't had that kind of leadership since Farrell. Sean's style is different and for a long time I didn't agree with him being given the captaincy - for one thing I thought it was a hindrance to his game. But over the years he has won me over, both on and off the pitch the respect for him is amazing.

That said, we need a captain who is likely to figure in most games and that isn't Lockers any more. Nor is it MM if yesterday is any guide!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think lockers is an excellent captain however i do think we lack gamesmanship. We lack someone who can take the game by the scruff of the neck when it isnt working and change things. As much as i dont rate him this is something for example sinfield has got, he frustrates opponents with kicking. Lee Briers used to kick us to death at times, sean long would be puppet master against us time and time again.

Finchy had it, he knew how to play the ref, he'd ask stupid questions to get us an extra few seconds to catch our breath, he'd know when to slow the game down and when to speed it up.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Kaii wrote:We lost plenty of games last season with H in the team, Locker's leadership is the difference. Strange how once H left he became one of our greatest players with leadership qualities to rival Sean
H was a quality forward, not for his leadership but for his workrate and experience. The tree has been pruned too harshly and it will bite us later in the season if not before.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Perhaps all of the talk about our 'awesome' attack, bodies in motion, numerous options etc. has taken the shine away from what was once our 'awesome' defence. Last year and during Madge's two years our defence was exceptional as well as our attack.

Sam Tomkins was always very good and hiding himself before appearing out the back and creating an overlap, I want to see that from Bowen too.

We need to man the f up in defence and stop dropping off tackles. I'm not too worried though because over the years we have always started slowly.
Up The Mont!
markill

Post by markill »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote: im not sure whether syned kicked a couple of penalties if you are saying he missed his kicks - however if you negate what Castleford did/didn't do - had we kicked 100% we would have won this game
Sneyd kicked 6/7 - he had a penalty early in second half. If Smith had kicked 100% (with kicks being missed that I'm not sure anyone would be 100% on so that is asking a lot) then Cas could have argued that Sneyd missing one was the reason they didn't win.

If you want numbers to show you why we lost here are some for you:
Wigan 28 Missed Tackles - Castleford 21
Wigan 10 Penalties - Castleford 6
Wigan 15 Errors - Castleford 7

Goal kicking is a concern but there are other concerns for me than goal kicking that would need to be addressed if we're losing to sides with less resources than us.

Goal kicking should only be winning or losing us games against other trophy contenders. I don't think Cas are a legitimate trophy contender so its the other things we let ourselves down on that are more important.

I like others would be more concerned about our attitude in defence and the leadership within the squad when Lockers doesn't play. Smith, Farrell and McIlorum were the 'leaders' on Sunday and all contributed quite heavily to errors, missed tackles and penalties - the real reason we lost to Cas.

I think we can and will improve though so I'm not panicking.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:theres something about thornley that isn't quite there - I knew walk away feeling like he has given everything in a game

For example when you watch Gelling you get the impression he is running his blood to water regardless of whether its good stuff he is doing but thornley I don't know he doesn't scream industry

Spot on...Gelling has many critics but always gives his all from the first to last minute. Sometimes it falls apart but he never gives up.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:We haven't had that kind of leadership since Farrell. Sean's style is different and for a long time I didn't agree with him being given the captaincy - for one thing I thought it was a hindrance to his game. But over the years he has won me over, both on and off the pitch the respect for him is amazing.

That said, we need a captain who is likely to figure in most games and that isn't Lockers any more. Nor is it MM if yesterday is any guide!
I'd agree with all of that.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

As I recall, we never won many trophies when Farrell was captain.

More to captaincy than just ranting at players whenever the other team score as proved by the likes of O'Loughlin, Morley, Peacock and Sinfield etc.
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Its our defence and the lack of a good goal kicker that is the problem.

We are scoring tries but in only the five games so far, we have conceded 142 points, a average of 28 per game and only converted about half of them.

Like others have said, why have we gone into a season without a recognised goal kicker when other clubs have more than one?

And why is Charnley not before Smith when last season he stood in for Richards when he did not play?

As it is obvious that other clubs like Castleford, Hull, Salford, St Helens and Widnes have improved their squads, it needs to be sorted out, and quick.
Our defence has gone down hill and thats because we are to light weight in our forwards. Lockers is our best tackler as well as adding to the attack, he is always missed when he is not playing.We seem to have gone for youth over experience and are paying for it. I knew we would strugle this season with the wealth of experience leaving us, IL and Wane new this but have not bought wisely. The players coming in have been mostly bought for the future not now, they knew our goal kicking without Richards was a area for concern plus we still need a top class centre and two top class props.Bowen up to now is a complete waste of space, we could have used that money wasted on him towards rectifying some of the areas I have mentioned.Winning the double last season seems to made IL think he can compete this season on the cheap