Do we need a big signing?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Do we need a big signing?

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:What we do need is a top class goal kicker.

And why we did not resign Danny Tickle who can kick goals instead of Clubb?
That would have made sense.

I think our scouting of senior players has let us down in the off season. Other clubs have not bought big names but seem to have unearthed some talented players with experience.

As someone else said it is lack of forward planning as the club knew what was lacking and what were likely to be weak areas not capable of being addressed from within.

We must have a load of money from the transfers so unless there is a total lack of will to spend it then there must be something wrong with the clubs ability to identify and secure the right signings.

And to play the record one more time....we should not have sold Hansen.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Our tactics in signing players is to wait for a club to be on the brink of bankrupcy and then sign their players at less than market value. We do this regardless of the quality of the players - we just take the best that are available whether we particularly need them or not. Its what we've done every season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I thought the same re: tickle but im guessing he wouldn't be welcomed back at Wigan by some, I think the singing "were going down" incident damaged his rep within the wigan circles and I imagine people like Wane and Rads will have long memories.

Maybe with Catalans struggles scott dureau? swap deal for green?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

Mike wrote:Our tactics in signing players is to wait for a club to be on the brink of bankrupcy and then sign their players at less than market value. We do this regardless of the quality of the players - we just take the best that are available whether we particularly need them or not. Its what we've done every season.
I blame IL he always looks for players on the cheap, mind you he did spend on Bowen and what a mistake that was.
Against Cas our defence was hopeless you can not win matches letting them score over 30 points. I am old school, matches are won and lost by your forwards and we appear to light weight to me in that department.Mobility is ok but you need the power to break tackles and stop attacking players advancing we can not do either.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nellywelly wrote:I blame IL he always looks for players on the cheap, mind you he did spend on Bowen and what a mistake that was.
He didn't spend anything to get Bowen. He was out of contract so came for free. It would not surprise me if he was on less wages than Sam was!

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I thought the same re: tickle but im guessing he wouldn't be welcomed back at Wigan by some, I think the singing "were going down" incident damaged his rep within the wigan circles and I imagine people like Wane and Rads will have long memories.

Maybe with Catalans struggles scott dureau? swap deal for green?
Why was Tickle moved on.
I may be wrong but my understanding was to split 3 players up in Tickle, Brown and Hock. Keeping hold of Hock was the aim and to remove the other two bad influences.
Now Hock has moved on, would there be any issue with tickle returning to wigan.
phild1

Post by phild1 »

are no young stars coming thro the junior ranks, or is it the case of cant wait for them to develop and when they do NRL step in.it would be great to see home grown players in all the key positions and not panic buy on players whose sell by date long gone.is it any wonder when we select our international sides we have to make do with same old faces playing out of position.it was a pleasure watching the burgess bros.they have learnt their trade, pity we couldn't keep them in UK.
phild1

Post by phild1 »

ARE WE TALKING ABOUT OUR TOUGH GAME OR THE SCHOOL YARD?SPLITTING UP PLAYERS.NEVER HEARD OWT LIKE IT :eusa17:
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

phild1 wrote:ARE WE TALKING ABOUT OUR TOUGH GAME OR THE SCHOOL YARD?SPLITTING UP PLAYERS.NEVER HEARD OWT LIKE IT :eusa17:
Well when those said players are constantly out drinking and chasing chalk it begins to effect their playing abilities.
Up The Mont!