Packs Win Matches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Packs Win Matches

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Does anyone think that the Wigan pack is good enough for the Club to achieve success this year?

Take MM and Lockers out of the six and we lose a lot of aggression, skill, desire and commitment. As a consequence our structures start to fail.

We are lightweight in the backrow and if we get any injuries to our props then we are going to be struggling big time.

I see a lot of potential in the younger players but we needed to recruit for the short-term to help the transition of these guys - Jordan James was not the answer and it is unfair asking him to play one match every Preston Guild.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
The booze hound

Re: Packs Win Matches

Post by The booze hound »

Here's a question for you, how many teams in superleague would be interested in signing any of our pack other than MM, SOL, Bateman, Flower or Pettybourne (who currently looks a little overweight)?
Other than London I don't think many. The problem is playing first team rugby is the only way to improve nowadays. Gone are the days of clubs running alliance teams (due to the cost but to the detriment of the game as a whole).
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The booze hound wrote:Here's a question for you, how many teams in superleague would be interested in signing any of our pack other than MM, SOL, Bateman, Flower or Pettybourne (who currently looks a little overweight)?
Other than London I don't think many. The problem is playing first team rugby is the only way to improve nowadays. Gone are the days of clubs running alliance teams (due to the cost but to the detriment of the game as a whole).
Given that they played representative rugby last year, you can add Taylor and Farrell to that list, which is more than enough for a pack.
I am happy with our pack, if (and it's a massive if) we can get enough games out of Lockers and Mac. Once we got into the groove we dominated a big HKR pack with a good pedigree for long spells on Friday. We even held our own at times against a Roosters pack which is far stronger than anything over here.
Now Bowen is beginning to show some of that silky smooth running, my only remaining concern is whether we can see enough of our 9 and 13 in the big games. With them, we've nothing to fear.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Totally forgot about Farrell. He would walk into any team in superleague.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Booze, you try and make a point about how many teams would buy any of our pack players and say only London, then name about 7 players that are excluded, sort of defeats your point. :lol: :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
phild1

Post by phild1 »

young pack plenty of spirit but will need SOL(is he just in for the tougher games)MM and Farrell. You have to have the steading influence of those three. Get the wing-centre positions sorted, I cringe when I see the woeful attempt in defence by charnley,burgess is a good prospect knows where the whitewash is needs to look after the ball more. I think Bowen is a passenger. Wonderful try though but he doesn't have the commitment who can blame him after all he has done his shift. I hope the crowd can be patient and Waite for the young ones to develop. :D
shaunedwardsfanclub

God wrote:I feel we are missing 2 forwards, a tackle heavy second row and an experienced prop.

Jamal Fakir would do a great job for us IMO but we would be very unlikely to sign him. Fitness would also be a huge problem also but could be fixed.

On evidence i would play S Powell at hooker every day of the week behind Mcllorum he is very dangerous around the ruck and i cant wait for his return.

It is a massive season for Taylor who imo is by far the best prop at Wigan and one of the best in the league. Flower, Dudson and Crosby are very good aggressive props. And then theres Clubb who imo will play prop because every time ive seen him seems to get bigger and bigger. But we miss the brains of Mossop who although went missing at times was always great in defence and was never really out of position.

Second Row, i would abandon the idea of Gelling becoming a wing/center and have him in the natural position his size dictates and could actually be a revelation. Ease the overwhelming pressure on Farrell.

Bateman is our best signing despite the hype of Bowen and will be a match winner in the mould of Hock. Hughes as back up and Pettybourne who Imo is way off what we do here. Not so sure why he is ahead of Burke at the time tbh but rumour is is that his fitness is an issue.

I thought our forwards coped well with the thret of Wyman who really did rip us a new A hole when he played for the Dragons in the WCC which is a big positive.

But i feel we need just 2 more fowards and a kicker haha.
What about Danny Kirmond?
shaunedwardsfanclub

phild1 wrote:young pack plenty of spirit but will need SOL(is he just in for the tougher games)MM and Farrell. You have to have the steading influence of those three. Get the wing-centre positions sorted, I cringe when I see the woeful attempt in defence by charnley,burgess is a good prospect knows where the whitewash is needs to look after the ball more. I think Bowen is a passenger. Wonderful try though but he doesn't have the commitment who can blame him after all he has done his shift. I hope the crowd can be patient and Waite for the young ones to develop. :D
I think you need to look at the defensive performance of the two guys inside Charnley (Smith and Goulding).
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

We don't have any aggressive props and very very weak in this area. It will be our downfall if we have a downfall.

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wigan Watcher wrote:We don't have any aggressive props and very very weak in this area. It will be our downfall if we have a downfall.
I dont see Scott Taylor as a weakness WW.
There arent many SL teams where he wouldnt be a first choice front rower. Crosby hasnt been playing bad and is improving game by game. When Ben Flower is allowed to retjrn to his natural 10 position he is another asset.
OK they arent massively aggressive but they more than make that up with their work ethic IMO.