Time to change?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Time to change?

Post by cpwigan »

There is a well respected and widely held view that a coach adapts to the players he has available rather than trying to make players fit a system that that coach will use come what may.

The 2nd man plays were perfect for Sam T. Matty Bowen has rarely if ever played in such a structured 2nd man play system. At his best Bowen was lined up 1 v 1 where he could use his skill whilst Thurston given his ability was allowed to play as he saw it and primarily through passing directly to runners.

Is it time for Wigan to move on from Sam T and play to the strengths of the players they now have.
Wes

Re: Time to change?

Post by Wes »

Quite simply, yes.

We need to deploy a few new tactics, I am not a fan if the Green to Farrell crashball, Faz is an excellent diaganol runner who likes to hit the gap between defenders rather than the defender. Bowen should be following Bateman for offloads and the 2nd play should stay but not used every play.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Greens short ball to Farrell only works on the back of a quick play the ball and a back peddling/flat footed defence which we just aren't getting many of at the moment, which in turn is down to not winning the collision.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Green hitting Farrell on the lead has been brought in for two reason, 1. because Farrell is good at taking the ball under pressure and it has worked quite a few times for us (Remember Saints on Good Friday 2011?) and 2. teams cottoned on that we were always going out the back to Sam T so hitting the lead runner instead of out the back was a way of making teams have to think where the ball was going.

With regards to new tactics, I have seen one play used a couple of times this year leading to Try's against the Roosters and KR, they face the ball out the back passed Bowen and hit the centre, ironically something I was calling for when Sam T kept getting whacked.

Hitting and sticking in defence needs to be improved, generally the technique is first man goes round the ball, second man same sort of thing but on the other side then the inside man in the line, normally a marker clamps the legs together, without chopping. I haven't seen us do that very well this year, we were immense at it when Madge fetched it in but this year has been very different.

I refuse to write us off after last year but we haven't started at all well this season, we lost 4 league games (I think, maybe 5) in the whole of 2010, this year we've lost 2 in our first three games. I think we will struggle tonight against Wire, particularly out wide and if things aren't fixed, the way Leeds and Saints are playing it could be another 70 pointer when we play them.
Up The Mont!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

To early to change yet - we need a settled run and some understanding to develop, especially in the defensive formation.

If you change now, you risk creating an even bigger problem by confusing for everyone - not just the new arrivals and people playing new positions.

Get this system right, then maybe transistion to something that could be better gradually. The best world is when the team can play effectively in more than one style and the coach can make a call on which is best for any scenario. I'm sure thats what we are working towards.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆