Iestyn Harris: Salford Red Devils approach Wigan assistant coach

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Iestyn Harris: Salford Red Devils approach Wigan assistant coach

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I don't think its an age thing maybe more of a Time in Post problem. Wane is relatively new to first team coaching at SL Level and he learnt a lot from Madge who brought over cutting edge techniques from Oz. Wane embraces Sports Science and works hard on the fitness of his players

Noble is a bit "been there done it" and he thinks he knows what makes a successful team because he did so well with Bradford but the game has moved on immeasurably IMO since then in terms of fitness and nutritional needs of the players. Mark Bitcon can take as much credit for Wigans revival as Wane or Madge.

Until Noble appreciates that the game is no longer "drive, drive, drive, drive, do something fancy" and he looks at the fitness of his players (most of which are blowing after 20mins) he will not improve as a coach and im not sure he thinks he needs to.

CP mentions Tim Smith decline, well its a well known fact Noble isn't strict with the players he has around him he prefers a pally approach and I wonder whether a player like smith needs more than that and he needs rigid structure.

Look at it this way Smith under noble for us was poor, smith at wakefield much better, he comes back under noble and he is poor again.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

pieeater wrote:Shaun Wane 50.Brian Noble 53.Shauns getting a bit old to coach
Think Shaun is still 49 until the end of the year but bit ageist that remark.

Craig Bellamy, 55, Wayne Bennett, 64.

Not bad coaches those two even if they are old dodderers.
phild1

Post by phild1 »

josie andrews wrote:
phild1 wrote:Jon Davies hit nail on the head in that interview on bbc2.the doctor is a successful business man but where does he get off just because he has a few bob in his back pocket he thinks he can buy a rugby club and get instant success. Its not a coach he wants its a miracle worker. Assistant coach Harris to take over from noble; I wonder how long he will last. Time to retire Brian I think, get a job with the bbc and talk about it or better still take over from the Muppets on the sky gantry. Well done Brian you were dignified during the interview even tho you must be gutted. :eusa17:

Well said, he looked uncomfortable & didn't really want to talk about it :)
=phild.off the subject a little but did you notice how scruffy the commentary team were? Only scullthorpe wore a tie.at least the sky Muppets make an effort. Sorry JOSSIE ITS AN AGE THIG I GREW UP WITH SUITS BLAZERS SPORTS JACKETS :cool:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

phild1 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
phild1 wrote:Jon Davies hit nail on the head in that interview on bbc2.the doctor is a successful business man but where does he get off just because he has a few bob in his back pocket he thinks he can buy a rugby club and get instant success. Its not a coach he wants its a miracle worker. Assistant coach Harris to take over from noble; I wonder how long he will last. Time to retire Brian I think, get a job with the bbc and talk about it or better still take over from the Muppets on the sky gantry. Well done Brian you were dignified during the interview even tho you must be gutted. :eusa17:

Well said, he looked uncomfortable & didn't really want to talk about it :)
=phild.off the subject a little but did you notice how scruffy the commentary team were? Only scullthorpe wore a tie.at least the sky Muppets make an effort. Sorry JOSSIE ITS AN AGE THIG I GREW UP WITH SUITS BLAZERS SPORTS JACKETS :cool:
That's the norm tho these days the 'casual' look. You can go out dressed up for a meal or the theatre these days & the majority wear jeans & t shirts #feeloverdressedsometimes

BTW there's only one 's' in my name :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

I wonder what the odds are for Harris to still be in charge at the end of the season. I personally don't think he will. Think the doctor needs to give his coaching staff a magic wand.
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jobo wrote:
pieeater wrote:Shaun Wane 50.Brian Noble 53.Shauns getting a bit old to coach
Think Shaun is still 49 until the end of the year but bit ageist that remark.

Craig Bellamy, 55, Wayne Bennett, 64.

Not bad coaches those two even if they are old dodderers.
Both were more successful when several years younger :wink:

I believe coaches is a young mans game and that after 3 seasons coaches should be replaced.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

cpwigan wrote:
jobo wrote:
pieeater wrote:I believe coaches is a young mans game and that after 3 seasons coaches should be replaced.
3 year projects? Sounds like the licensing system
I do agree though, I think a team needs fresh ideas after 3 years.
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

So if there should be a 3 year limit so to speak then it's goodbye Shaun Wane and hello who?
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Plus his success at Bradford which all went pear shaped when he left and the fact that he helped to keep Wigan in the Super League when he replaced Millward.

Lets give a little bit of credit to Noble!
What about the next three seasons of dross that followed?

He kept us in Super League with the addition of Fielden and Dobson. After 2006 he was poor. Unfortunately keeping us up earned him too long a stay here.

The writing was on the wall in 2007 season which I mentioned at the time but gave him the benefit of the doubt but he never improved matters until he was replaced. Wasted Trent Barrett's time here as well.
Never said anything about the seasons that followed, only that he save us from relegation and was successful at Bradford, irrespective of him inheriting a team there.
I didn't say you did and was clearly making the point I don't see a great deal of reason to give him credit. He has done very little since helping us avoid relegation in 2006.
Actually, during the last couple seasons at Wigan, I was of the opinion that he should have been replaced.
I agree. A record of 6th and4th in the league for 2007 and 2008 and getting knocked out in semi-finals should have led to an exit after 2008 but he had another year when we finished 6th again. (Think I have that correct).
As for dross, I am beginning to suspect that you were not around when we had did have real dross in the seventies and regular four figure crowds.
I am sure a lot of people weren't. I was at Uni from 77 to 81 in Aberystwyth. I guess getting an education disqualifies me from having an opinion because I wasn't there to suffer the truly bad times. :doz:
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Plus his success at Bradford which all went pear shaped when he left and the fact that he helped to keep Wigan in the Super League when he replaced Millward.

Lets give a little bit of credit to Noble!
What about the next three seasons of dross that followed?

He kept us in Super League with the addition of Fielden and Dobson. After 2006 he was poor. Unfortunately keeping us up earned him too long a stay here.

The writing was on the wall in 2007 season which I mentioned at the time but gave him the benefit of the doubt but he never improved matters until he was replaced. Wasted Trent Barrett's time here as well.

Fielden would have been shipped out by any other coach,he was dire but Nobbys blue eyed boy