St Helens on the prowl?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ddtftf

Re: St Helens on the prowl?

Post by ddtftf »

I know George Williams dad who is away on holiday at the moment, I will ask him if its true when he returns.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wire were desperate to sign George before he signed for Wigan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

[quote="cpwigan"]Wire were deserate to sign George before he signed for Wigan[/quote

Wire offered Wigan £50k for George two years ago!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Wire were deserate to sign George before he signed for Wigan
Same with Joe Mellor!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Same with Joe Mellor!
Not really. Wire backed the wrong horse
- Scott Leatherbarrow.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

No straw damn us wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
Same with Joe Mellor!
Not really. Wire backed the wrong horse
- Scott Leatherbarrow.
That's a name I haven't heard in some time. Where is he now?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Last season he was at Keighley and doing very well apparently. Not seen anything about him this season
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cow yeds wrote:Sorry but i think the OP was just not thought out.
The contracts knock it all into touch.
You do me a great disservice.

Let me ask you what exactly does a contract mean to any player?

Sam Tompkins/Joel Tompkins/Harrisen Hansen/Gaz Hock etc etc were all contracted to Wigan when they were sold on. When a player feels his chances are not being fulfilled or that someone else stand in their way of progress then they DO become unsettled.

I admit I was told about the rumours prior to the Widnes defeat (so that rules out the rumours only coming "out" after two defeats as rubbish), however it could have been a knee jerk reaction to one defeat - who knows?

I was simply posting what I was told and without any fancy claims one way or another; to dismiss them as rubbish because they have contracts is pretty meaningless and ignorant given what Wigan have done over the last few years
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
cow yeds wrote:Sorry but i think the OP was just not thought out.
The contracts knock it all into touch.
You do me a great disservice.

Let me ask you what exactly does a contract mean to any player?

Sam Tompkins/Joel Tompkins/Harrisen Hansen/Gaz Hock etc etc were all contracted to Wigan when they were sold on.
They were but do you think they would have been if for example NZW had offered say £100K for Sam and not the reputed £750K?

I have no idea what value out club puts on these young players but if every player has a price where the club will sell, we won't have team worth the name in about five years as contracts expire and we cash in before they do.
When a player feels his chances are not being fulfilled or that someone else stand in their way of progress then they DO become unsettled.
Then it is up to the club to manage this by providing a clear path up the hierarchy. I believe Leeds do this.
I was simply posting what I was told and without any fancy claims one way or another; to dismiss them as rubbish because they have contracts is pretty meaningless and ignorant given what Wigan have done over the last few years
I still don't think contracts are meaningless. The players we have sold seem to be players the club either received silly money for (Sam) or rightly or wrongly felt we could replace (e.g. Joel, Hansen, Mossop) or the club wanted out (Hock).

I am not sure we have yet faced a situation where a player wanted by another club is seen as integral to the clubs future while at the same time we are not being offered silly money and neither is the player (as they would be joining another SL side).

We are in a position to retain these young players if we want to. We were with Hansen IMO which is why I got so mad about the sale and while people can argue if the NRL comes calling that is the end of that, it ought not to be the case if it is another SL club.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I think we can finally reach an accord on this matter Dave. No way would we sell a player considered vital to our future to a rival SL club. I appreciate your position regarding H but he was not worth to Wigan anything like what he was offered by Salford. Assuming of course that the good doctor delivers on his contract.

Regarding your admiration for Leeds immunity to the NRL, I simply assume they don't consider their players good enough, or they just haven't offered enough money. If Leeds had a Sam, be assured their Sam would only be a temporary one.

Like ours was!