Acceptable performance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ed Osmond

Acceptable performance

Post by Ed Osmond »

Leeds very good tonight. Started fast and controlled the game. I thought Wigan hung in well, competed and came away ok. Gelling and Bateman good. And Farrell. Bit disappointed by Green and Smith.
ian.birchall

Re: Acceptable performance

Post by ian.birchall »

Ed Osmond wrote:Leeds very good tonight. Started fast and controlled the game. I thought Wigan hung in well, competed and came away ok. Gelling and Bateman good. And Farrell. Bit disappointed by Green and Smith.
Not so sure what you thought Farrell was doing?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Ed Osmond

Post by Ed Osmond »

Thought Farrell made his usual effort down the left side but didn't quite get the usual support?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We lost. Unacceptable.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree with Ed re Faz. Thought he worked very hard. The front row let themselves down but I think they suffer because we refuse to play up the guts of the opposition.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Not so sure you'll get many people agreeing with you that it was acceptable.
Only saw one half back in a Wigan shirt tonight. Smith popped up for a very good 40/20 but wasn't seen before or after that. Our pack tried, but were always second best possibly with the exception of Mickey Mc.
At times Leeds looked like they had 3 or 4 men more than us on the pitch.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Its an easy cop out for me to say this, but I think with Lockers and Flower we would have had a much better showing.
Clubb was strong but seemingly grew tired. There wasnt that link that Lockers provides. Clubb bashed it down the middle like he does and made inroads but coming off the bench to do that as a prop would have been far more ideal. Ictually thought Dudson had a good game, but again his fitness is poor. First half the first break we made with Green, Dudson was on his shoulder for the break and just dropped off and started walking. I dont think we were that bad though. Leeds were good, better than us, but am I the only one thinking it was one of those games for them? Everything seemed to drop just right for them. They certainly got the rub of the green.
phild1

Post by phild1 »

It pains me to say it but Wigan were made to look ordinary by a much quicker and smarter outfit.as usual peacock led from the front and with the forearm.and the fullback played out of his skin,this is the same lad that got sent home from the world cup squad what a transformation.the Leeds fan club on the gantry were in raptures,had to turn sound off,only so much you can stand. :sly:
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I think the main thing we lacked which Leeds didnt waa intensity. Their defence was much quicker and stronger than ours. We invited them onto us a lot. I was really expecting to see Leeds tire and when Clubby got that try I thought we would start to run them into the ground. Once they got their tails up and their whiney, high pitched support starting reeling off their shamelessly lifted cringeworthy songs, they were always going to stick out the win.
Having said that, even without playing too well, we could have clung on and nicked it for me. Greeny should have scored when he was held up, should have just gone low over the line. We should have forced repear sets too rather than Faz trundle for a one out power play. I really do think, despite not playing well, on another day we could have won.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Leeds looked good and fully deserved to beat us. They scored 3 very good tries and didn't give us many chances. Hopefully, knowing Shaun Wane he'll have taken on board what went wrong and when we have another pop at Leeds in 2 weeks time we'll be ready for them.

One thing I will say is that Anthony Gelling cops a lot of stick on this forum (some of it justified) but last night I thought he had a cracking game, best he's had in a Wigan shirt. He knows that he has a chance here to establish himself as a first teamer with injuries to Josh and Thornley, on last nights showing it looks like he's determined to take that chance. Hope he maintains that level of performance as we go through the season.