Nothing amazing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: Nothing amazing

Post by butt monkey »

As a fan I would dearly love Wigan to win every game, especially in the Loiners own back yard too

However, this for me was only about two league points.

Come a more important/bigger game I am sure we would see a different Wigan side/effort than we did do against the same opponents. I know it is a simplistic attitude to have (that we will play far better) and has been hinted at with the point about which players were missing from our team, yet I am confident that when Wigan meet Leeds in the CC (as I am sure they will do) then we will see a much different performance
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Leeds are a lot, lot fitter than previous seasons.
They used to fade in the last 10 mins of a half but not this year. They go the 80 and are up and down for the ptb very quickly.

If we are to beat them then we will have to put out our best front row plus Lockers at loose. The best front 4 for me are Flower, Taylor, Pettybourne and (now) Clubb. I do think our first team pack are better than Leeds' and if we can overpower them then their halves will be a quiet as ours were last night.

At the moment they are the team to beat. Whether they can keep this up for the rest of the season only time will tell.
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Battered in every department. Speed, power, aggression, desire. I always thought Lenegans scorched earth policy of cashing in on our talent would come home to roost in this fixture. True men against boys. Leeds have seasoned professionals with over a decade at the club. We have kids who left school last year. Leeds bring youngsters into a mans team. We bring kids into a team of youngsters. Sure they are talented and we are still a top 4 team but Leeds look to have got the balance spot on. Hats off to Hetherington I guess for that. Lenegan hoping to save his coin and make do with Jordan James
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Jimmy Birts wrote:Battered in every department. Speed, power, aggression, desire. I always thought Lenegans scorched earth policy of cashing in on our talent would come home to roost in this fixture. True men against boys. Leeds have seasoned professionals with over a decade at the club. We have kids who left school last year. Leeds bring youngsters into a mans team. We bring kids into a team of youngsters. Sure they are talented and we are still a top 4 team but Leeds look to have got the balance spot on. Hats off to Hetherington I guess for that. Lenegan hoping to save his coin and make do with Jordan James
Like Leeds did with Richard Moore a couple of seasons ago when they were in a similar situation?

But, you are right about Leeds now having it right but is that because for some reason, no club in the NRL or Union ever seems to want any of their players with the possible exception of Hall.
xbrettkennyx

Post by xbrettkennyx »

Jimmy Birts wrote:Battered in every department. Speed, power, aggression, desire. I always thought Lenegans scorched earth policy of cashing in on our talent would come home to roost in this fixture. True men against boys. Leeds have seasoned professionals with over a decade at the club. We have kids who left school last year. Leeds bring youngsters into a mans team. We bring kids into a team of youngsters. Sure they are talented and we are still a top 4 team but Leeds look to have got the balance spot on. Hats off to Hetherington I guess for that. Lenegan hoping to save his coin and make do with Jordan James
I agree with your sentiment and indeed have criticised IL for selling players and not replacing "like for like".

However, the ever decreasing quality of the standards in the league, coupled with the fact that it is May not September mean that I really am not worried in the slightest at the moment.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

True but no worries either. The lads had a quiet day at the office playing the 'play off'system courtesy of the RFL. The game is/was of no long term consequence
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree re end result BUT the problem is we play Leeds very soon again at Magic. A similar result builds up a huge confidence v lack of confidence issue and the next game is likely to be the CC maybe the CC Final.

It does not happen if you finish 1st in SL but it is important to set a marker down in certain games say v Leeds/Saints/Wire or Hudds.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:CP your constant negativity towards Wane is becoming tiresome, I remember your WANEBALL jibes early on last season when we were playing in a very attacking manner and only won with a Plan A. We then beat Hull in the CC with clearly a Plan B and Wire in the GF with a totally different game plan, however your long post in this thread clearly states Wane only has one way of playing. Sorry but in my opinion of course (backed up by performances last season when it mattered) you are wrong!!

PS spill the beans please what has SW done to offend you? :wink:
I could not care less who coaches us as long as they achieve what I expect of Wigan RLFC and I am sorry if that comes across as arrogant etc but I was brought up in an era when if Wigan played anywhere near their best then they would beat any British opposition and many Australian clubs. Clearly that is no longer the case but that is my Wigan Way from being a fan of the club live for 30 years+ and someone who has delved into the great Wigan teams of the past.

You cannot argue with the double, it is for all to see. Personally, I remain totally unconvinced by the philosophy of Wane / Waneball. If we wanted to be honest. We struggled to beat a Hull FC not through any change of tactic but because several players had nightmare games, most notably Crooks and we pulled off some incredible last ditch tackles. The GF, a fantastic end result but would we have won had Wire not suffered injuries? We were out of it for much of the 1st half. Therein lies the problem with the Wane philosophy, it defies RL logic,it reminds me of more 'decorated' Brits that came before him who talked of this mythical British way to play RL. It was bullshit then, it is now.

If you spread the ball 3 long passes wide you have immediately conceded the advantage to the opposition unless you can get around them. It is the RL of Widnes under Laughton and it broke down far more than it won the day in the biggest games. Whatsmore, Widnes had players to play that way; Wigan do not and certainly did not last night.

If you spend time, effort energy swinging the ball wide from one end to the other then you waste energy. It takes time to reset for the next lateral shift and results in a slow POTB which allows the opposition to reset their defence.

Far better to take Leeds old forwards up the middle and work for fast POTBs and get a roll. You can ziz zag around the POTB to make some of the Leeds tight forwards make 2 tackles in a set. Even better your kicking game gets better and better because you are on the front foot. McDermott RL killed Wane Ball last night and yet the coach had the cheek to refer to the players as dumb.

The RL Wigan try to play under Wane defies RL logic and is dumb IMO. Nothing against Wane and he can say I have a double so it works. Personally, I think it absolutely destroys his own players because of the effort they have to make to turn illogical RL into victories. Thank heaven British RL is poor at this present time.

If Wigan cannot put 4 props up against Peacock and Lu Lu and come off second best then either the tactics are dumb or those players are not fit to wear the shirt. I believe the former.
If the game today is so poor, why waste your time watching it
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

British RL in my lifetime has been mainly poor. Hence, I have always watched Australian RL to get my fill of elite RL.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:British RL in my lifetime has been mainly poor. Hence, I have always watched Australian RL to get my fill of elite RL.
Well considering British RL doesn't float your boat you certainly have a lot of opinions about it, if I don't like something I don't watch/talk about it!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett