Love Bateman's attitude

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Bateman

Post by cpwigan »

He has what it takes to play loose forward bar the passing ability of Lockers. A great talent.
The booze hound

Re: Bateman

Post by The booze hound »

This guy has got what it takes to make it at the top level. Speed of thought is right up there and he has total lack of respect of the opposition and a nasty edge without losing control. If Gaz Hock had this young mans mentality he would have been the best second row in the world. We bought a gem in Bateman.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Love Bateman's attitude

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Bateman appears to be very strong for his weight and certainly runs it.
I like his attitude and like Micky Mac he seems to fear no one.
Two very tough players in Bateman and Mac.
Ken

Bateman

Post by Ken »

Could we have are next loose fallward in Bateman, I think he as all needed to make a world class loose fallward, that is when lockers as had his day.
Ken Blinston
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Great signing and more than a good replacement for the player who decided he want to leave a winning team and like Morley, end his career with his hometown club.
You mean the player the club chose to sell to the detriment of the team surely?

Now Faz is out injured even a RL novice such as yourself will realise Bateman, as good a prospect as he is, can't be in two places at once?

And realise with Lockers playing so irregularly our once famed back row strenght has somewhat evaporated?

Perhaps Bateman can cover all three positions?

Or maybe you will realise how naive you are to believe said player wanted to leave or is as easily replaced as you seem to think?

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Great signing and more than a good replacement for the player who decided he want to leave a winning team and like Morley, end his career with his hometown club.
The player the club refused to let hold them to ransom. Or maybe you would just have had IL hand over the keys to the safe and be done with it?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote:
The player the club refused to let hold them to ransom. Or maybe you would just have had IL hand over the keys to the safe and be done with it?
We could have kept H and waited for his contract to expire.

In football they don't do this because they lose the fee potential. But we don't need a fee because we don't sign players for fees right now. The salary cap prevents that most of the time and we have all of Sam's fee to spend if we need it.

So I don't think any player has the ability to hold the club to ransom right now because they don't have any real bargaining power.

However, I do believe that it is counter productive to keep a player that is unhappy and wants a move elsewhere. Its a balance for me and a decision has to be in each case.

I reckon for every one that that makes it into the media, several have been resolved in-house without the player leaving.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

So in other words, Hanson is just being use as a means of having another swipe at IL.

Despite the fact, that he has obtained a younger player who is just has good, if not better as his replacement and at the same time got a transfer fee.

Anyone would think that Hanson was the best back row forward ever to play for Wigan with some of the comments which have appeared on here since his departure.

Not breaking many pots these days at Salford, is he!

He's gone, move on!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The notion H held the club to ransom is so far off the mark.

We do have to move on etc but would I still be happy to see H playing for us? yes We could have / would have still signed Bateman but probably not Clubb.

Others clubs seem to retain players better than we do. Leeds are the obvious example.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:The notion H held the club to ransom is so far off the mark.

We do have to move on etc but would I still be happy to see H playing for us? yes We could have / would have still signed Bateman but probably not Clubb.

Others clubs seem to retain players better than we do. Leeds are the obvious example.
This is something I can't get my head round!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan