Wane Selects Squad for Hull Test

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wane Selects Squad for Hull Test

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Bowen and Liam Farrell are added to the Warriors growing list of absentees ahead of the Champions trip to Hull on Friday.

Bowen and Farrell picked up injuries in Wigan defeat to Leeds Rhinos last week and join Eddy Pettybourne, Ben Flower, Iain Thornley, Josh Charnley and Greg Burke on the side-lines. Captain Sean O'Loughlin is again unavailable with the same groin problem that kept him out of last week's clash, while Ryan Hampshire also misses out after picking up a knock playing for the under 19's side.

Academy products Ryan Sutton, Dom Manfredi and Connor Farrell are drafted in to the travelling party.

Wigan Warriors 19-Man Squad

John Bateman, Joe Burgess, Tony Clubb, Gil Dudson, Connor Farrell, Anthony Gelling, Darrell Goulding, Blake Green, Jack Hughes, Jordan James, Dom Manfredi, Michael McIlorum, Sam Powell, Dan Sarginson, Matty Smith, Ryan Sutton, Scott Taylor, George Williams.

Referee - Robert Hicks

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent. ... q1pQFwY.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: Wane Selects Squad for Hull Test

Post by Kittwazzer »

Not holding my breath for that one!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

THREE CHANGES TO HULL SQUAD

Hull FC head coach Lee Radford has recalled three players to his preliminary 19-man squad for Friday's clash with Wigan at the KC Stadium.

Stand off Jordan Rankin loses his place in the side, with Radford opting for the experience of half back Richard Horne for a testing fixture against the reigning league and cup champions.

Meanwhile, Chris Tuson also misses out on his chance to play against his former club through injury, whilst fellow back rower Dean Hadley also drops out.

That means Richard Whiting could feature having been named 18th man last time out, whilst Liam Watts and Liam Colbon come into the 19-man squad after missing out against Wakefield.

Joe Westerman's inclusion is also a major injury boost having gone off injured last weekend following a collision with a stadium wall, despite initial fears he may have broken his wrist.

Tickets for Friday's game are on sale now from the KC Stadium ticket office or by calling 01482 505 600.

Hull FC Squad: Bowden, Carvell, Crookes, Crooks, Colbon, Ellis, Heremaia, Horne, Houghton, Miller, Paea, Paleaaesina, Shaul, Talanoa, Thompson, Watts, Westerman, Whiting, Yeaman

Wigan Squad: Bateman, Burgess, Clubb, Dudson, Farrell, Gelling, Goulding, Green, Hughes, James, Manfredi, McIlorum, Powell, Sarginson, Smith, Sutton, Taylor, Williams.

http://www.hullfc.com/article/34283/thr ... ull-squad?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Kittwazzer wrote:Not holding my breath for that one!
Don't know about that kittwazzer.I fancy us turning them over despite having a depleted squad.Hull don't seem to have the back bone for a good scrap despite having a few decent players.It appears to be a team without spirit these days.And I suspect the boys will be looking to make amends for last weekend.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

There's only 18 Wigan players named in that squad list, Dom Crosby being ommitted, he is in the squad.
That means SW has named six props in the 19.
I do hope he doesn't go with Clubb at 13 again as I think he is very powerful playing prop. We need to win the front row battle if we are to stand any chance of coming away with the two points.

My 17 for what it's worth -

Sarginson,
Manfredi, Goulding, Gelling, Burgess,
Williams, Smith,
Taylor, McIlorum, Clubb,
Hughes, Bateman,
Green.
Bench - Crosby, Dudson, Sutton, Powell.
James and Connor to miss out.

I've put Green at 13 as he is a ball player and talker and it's different than playing a prop forwward there. We need pace up the middle when breaks are made and Williams would provide that.

Thoughts!

southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I like the idea of seeing Sarginson at fullback although it's a real shame that Rocky misses out on this chance. Dan is a good athlete and it may turn out to be his best position. Alternatively I think that Budgie has played fullback when (even) younger. I agree that Clubb is most effective at prop and it should be an interesting game. I'm pleased that Waney isn't taking any chances with the cup tie just a couple of weeks away.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Clubb is not a loose forward IMO, prop or second row .

Please Shaun, don't play him there again.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sarge at FB seems the best option and gives Manfredi an opportunity. Clubb IMO is a prop or best suited there. Rather than green at LF why not Williams?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have seen Sarginson play at 1 and he is very good indeed there.
I would go even further than Josie and only ever play Clubb at prop. He doesn't know what to do anywhere else, except arguably centre.
One thing that really annoys me is not having a sense from week to week who is close to returning.
Taking Lockers, is he likely to be fit next week? Given that the squads have to be announced well in advance anyway, why not let us know when players are due to come back? I would rather know sooner rather than later that we are struggling to get a decent team together, especially for longer term injuries, so I can look forward to victories against the odds rather than being vaguely disappointed every week.
More injury updates please!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I have seen Sarginson play at 1 and he is very good indeed there.
I would go even further than Josie and only ever play Clubb at prop. He doesn't know what to do anywhere else, except arguably centre.
One thing that really annoys me is not having a sense from week to week who is close to returning.
Taking Lockers, is he likely to be fit next week? Given that the squads have to be announced well in advance anyway, why not let us know when players are due to come back? I would rather know sooner rather than later that we are struggling to get a decent team together, especially for longer term injuries, so I can look forward to victories against the odds rather than being vaguely disappointed every week.
More injury updates please!
The worry is Wane put Clubb alongside Gelling as the best players v Leeds. He actually thought we were much closer to Leeds than the scoreline and had them on the back foot for a significant part of the first half. He blamed the officials rather than the players.