Radio coverage v Hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Radio coverage v Hull

Post by Mike »

Yep -I was listening in from abroad and enjoyed the ommentry a lot. Good to hear a more positive perspective on things. I thought Sarge would be good at FB - it seems like the best position for a maverick style runner like him. I'm glad he went well.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

This is Hull FC's 18th Man's report on the game tonight
What did I tell you? There’s no such thing as a bad Wigan team, under strength they may have been, but still Shaun Wane has enough quality at his disposal and that remaining quality made Hull look below ordinary tonight. Outclassed for the first time this year, Lee Radford’s men have a lot to answer for as they suffered their biggest defeat of the season to date. That’s why they are champions, champions are made from within and from minute one tonight the Warriors were in the ascendancy, easily brushing away their opponents to record a 44-16 score line.

Wigan made Hull look like an average Championship One side tonight, scoring eight try’s in the process, some of them at thorough ease. Completely dominating their opposition, they rarely got out of first gear and for them and their travelling army of fans, it was the perfect response to last week’s defeat at Leeds. For Hull though, it’s certainly worrying times, back to back defeats is bad enough, but it’s the manner of them that’s the concern. Against Wakefield, Hull threw it away, tonight though they were just outclassed and failed to offer even the slimmest hope of matching their opponents.

From the moment Dan Sarginson opened the scoring for the first of his three try’s it was somewhat game over, and that was emphasised with the ease Anthony Gelling went over for Wigan’s second. Hull just weren’t at the races, and in all honesty weren’t helped by some decisions by referee Robert Hicks. To say the referee influenced the game though would be delusional, but some of his calls in the first half were baffling. Rugby League is a game of margins at a 14-6 Hull were dealt a big blow when a runaway Jamie Shaul was brought back to everyone’s confusion, yet more astonishing Hull got the resulting penalty, and to the naked eye it was a clear lack of knowledge of the advantage rule. If Shaul was allowed to continue we could have been looking at a tighter first half score line, but it just wasn’t to be.

Wigan continued to ease through the fragile Hull defence, and Matty Smith made a complete laughing stock of it, ghosting through untouched before offloading to Jack Hughes to score Wigan’s third try. Only a Gareth Ellis consolation was all Hull FC had to offer in a half and match dominated by the visitors.

Further scores from Burgess, Manfredi, Gelling and Sarginson followed, to make the result and performance seem even uglier for Hull FC not that would have seemed possible, some of the scores Wigan notched up were embarrassing from a Black and White point of view, and the way the scorers beat their men was all too easy. Hull did reply through Jamie Shaul and Fetuli Talanoa, but it was little too late and this will go down as another shocking display from the home side.

Boos and frustration from the crowd followed, and after witnessing such a travesty of a performance who can blame them. Hull were well and truly beaten, outclassed, outfought, outskilled, outpaced, outstrengthed, and on your own turf with a point to prove that simply isn’t good enough. It’s turning out to be yet another long season for the Hull FC Faithful and the thousands of fans who have bought tickets to the Magic Weekend next week, won’t be filled with much confidence.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well done to a young Warriors team tonight & well done to the coach. Got the best out of his men & with only two interchanges after half time due to injuries to Ryan Sutton, who is okay BTW, & Tony Clubb who has ligament damage I think.

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

mickw wrote:Question for Bilko,
how do you think wigan are commentated on when live on sky?
Personally I don't listen to Sky Commentaries if I can help it and haven't done for years (I sync radio options up instead). I actually used to like Eddie & Stevo back in the day when it was just them two alone but personally I think the commentaries from Sky started going downhill when they moved Phil Clarke from sideline into the commentary box in about 2006 ish. A three man comm box since has become four, five or even six at once and it's far too much. So many pundits means it doesn't flow and it agitates the viewers listening in my view.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bilko wrote:
Personally I don't listen to Sky Commentaries if I can help it and haven't done for years (I sync radio options up instead). I actually used to like Eddie & Stevo back in the day when it was just them two alone but personally I think the commentaries from Sky started going downhill when they moved Phil Clarke from sideline into the commentary box in about 2006 ish. A three man comm box since has become four, five or even six at once and it's far too much. So many pundits means it doesn't flow and it agitates the viewers listening in my view.
????????

If I want to listen to half a dozen men discussing the game between themselves, I could go down the pub & listen to the fellas there :sly:

That's just what it sounds like IMO
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

mickw wrote:
Bilko wrote:
Christ Bilko that's a politician's answer if ever I heard one,if blake green could sidestep like that he'd be a good un.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW I enjoyed the commentary last night but have to confess that if Stevo had done the Jaffa cake line then I would have slagged him off. If that makes me a hypocrite because I give some latitude to a Wiganer who generally talks sense while Stevo generally talks bollox then so be it - guilty as charged!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I also listened to wish fm and found the commentary both amusing and informative.What concerned me most was the end result and not for one minute thinking to myself some of these comments could start an argument.I assume most of us tuned in to find out how the team handled themselves against hull.An excellent result 44-16.Just an aside to charnock warrior.Keep posting mate because we won't always disagree with you.Some people are not quite so diplomatic about how they post comments.Myself included.And kittwazzer my old mucker you always make me laugh.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Listened to BBC Radio Humberside and they were very good, their Hull bias wasn't too bad at all.
Our lads were good and the commentators reflected that.
Craig Murdock was excellent when describing how Wigan were winning the collision, had faster play the balls and that their passing was so accurate.
At times it sounded like Radio Wigan Warriors with their final summary being that Wigan had given a master class in how to play Rugby League.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Listened to BBC Radio Humberside and they were very good, their Hull bias wasn't too bad at all.
Our lads were good and the commentators reflected that.
Craig Murdock was excellent when describing how Wigan were winning the collision, had faster play the balls and that their passing was so accurate.
At times it sounded like Radio Wigan Warriors with their final summary being that Wigan had given a master class in how to play Rugby League.
That view is common on Hull's RLFans page. One guy said he came home having seen the kind of rugby he'd like to watch every week - unfortunately it was played by the other team!
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The size of the station is irrelevant. If Stevo talks bollocks about Jaffa Cakes he would get slated and likewise if local radio commentators talk bollocks about jaffa cakes they deserves exactly the same unless we are being hypocritical.
Well I enjoyed it and I will thank you to keep your petty insults to yourself whenever someone has the unmitigated gall to disagree with your opinions. This is a forum and everyone is entitled to think for themselves
I enjoyed it too. Not listened to Bilko before. A refreshing change. Is he a Wiganer?He seems to have the Wigan Wit :)