Dan’s the man to cover bases

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Dan’s the man to cover bases

Post by josie andrews »

DAN Sarginson says he will be happy to continue as Wigan’s ‘Mr Versatile’ as the campaign nears the halfway point.

The 20-year-old has played wing and centre since his arrival from London Broncos in the off-season.

And last Friday night, he was handed his first appearance at full-back for the Warriors - and responded with his first career hat-trick.

Sarginson was also assured under the high ball as the champions marched to a 44-16 victory, propelling them into the top-three for the first time this year.

Sarginson said: “I played at full-back for London last year when there were a few injuries, and I really enjoy it.

“It was my first ever hat-trick in Super League, which was nice.

“I was happy to play there. Mango (Matty Bowen) was a maybe all week so I was preparing for it. I kept asking Mango, ‘Are you alright, are you alright?’ - I was itching to play it.

“I was really excited, I couldn’t wait to play there.”

A season-ending injury to Iain Thornley has created a vacancy in the left centre spot, which Sarginson could fill.

But Shaun Wane has other options, with in-form Anthony Gelling also pressing his claims for the role with two shining displays against Leeds and Hull FC.

Sarginson says he is happy to fit in anywhere - as long as he is in the match-day squad.

“I’ll try and do a job wherever I play,” he said. “I honestly don’t mind. Wherever Waney wants me, I’m happy.”

Sarginson’s early-season success stands as a tribute to Wane’s ability to identify players with potential and develop them, rather than recruit seasoned professionals.

“You could play him in the backrow and he’d go well, because he’s a competitor,” said Wane. “He has good feet, good skill - but the main ingredient is he competes at everything.

“Sean O’Loughlin has it, Mike McIlorum has it - and that’s the backbone of this club.”

Wigan’s latest win was achieved without seven front-line players. Wane hoped to gauge a better idea of who, if any, may return for Saturday’s Magic showdown with Leeds - just two weeks after the Rhinos ran out 28-12 winners at Headingley.

Sean O’Loughlin, Liam Farrell and Eddy Pettybourne are close to recovering from their injuries.

Sarginson added: “After you lose you always want a response, and it was good to get that with a convincing win against Hull.”

The Magic Weekend will be officially launched in Manchester later today.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6611415
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Dan’s the man to cover bases

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He's good, but he's no second row. Reserve full back for mine...
Gelling only in the centres, Hughes only in the second row, Hampshire in the halves wherever possible, Clubb only at prop. And Lockers at 13 on Saturday and then he can put his feet up for a while again.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

The only position he hasn't looked comfortable in is at centre where he says he wants to play.
Panchitta Marra

Exiled Wiganer wrote:He's good, but he's no second row. Reserve full back for mine...
Gelling only in the centres, Hughes only in the second row, Hampshire in the halves wherever possible, Clubb only at prop. And Lockers at 13 on Saturday and then he can put his feet up for a while again.
I think Sarg is a natural full back EW.
His best rugby is from open play where he has good pace, an excellent side step, a decent pair of hands and knows where the try line is.
Not the best defensive showing so far but that's been in a position I don't think is suited to him (centre), but hey, I'm no coach.
Given that he would have to tackle more at full back, one on one, I think he would improve considerably.
He seems capable of catching a high ball from what I have seen of him.
For me, its Rocky at 6 and Dan at 1 after Matty departs.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:He's good, but he's no second row. Reserve full back for mine...
His best rugby is from open play where he has good pace, an excellent side step, a decent pair of hands and knows where the try line is.
Not the best defensive showing so far but that's been in a position I don't think is suited to him (centre), but hey, I'm no coach.
Given that he would have to tackle more at full back, one on one, I think he would improve considerably.
Don't worry about not being a coach mate.A couple of people on here who know more than Waney does.But the one thing your entitled to is your opinion.Mine for what it's worth is Sarg for full back.As to Gelling that's another matter where the bloody hell do you play him that is the question.All I know is that he will give it his best. :D
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Play Gelling in the centre. He hasn't got the pace for a wingman and if we are short of a 2 or 5 then Manfredi is a better option.
Gelling has played well in the last two games and will play on Saturday. I think he should stay at left centre and build a partnership with Burgess.
Goulding and Charnley are well established on the right, as Thornley isn't coming back this season then Gelling and Burgess could go well on the left.
Natural fit to me!
Panchitta Marra

KOOCH wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
Don't worry about not being a coach mate.A couple of people on here who know more than Waney does.But the one thing your entitled to is your opinion.Mine for what it's worth is Sarg for full back.As to Gelling that's another matter where the bloody hell do you play him that is the question.All I know is that he will give it his best. :D
Gelling is looking settled at centre which we haven't seen in him since he signed for us. He is a handful to take down, a nice step and good hands.
Like you Kooch, I think centre is good for him and why meddle with an engine when its running well.