Re: Williams.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

After that tackle he pulled off on Maguire, did anyone see the way Maguire lashed out with both feet into Georges' face. It must be a Leeds thing, I recall Ablett doing the same after Joel hauled him down a few years back.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Williams should stay at Hooker and Micky Mac good at loose forward grooming these two for when Shaun hangs his boots up
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wes wrote:I thought watching that id have him at hooker, 1 because he was excellent and 2 because I couldnt look past Mickey Mac at being Lockers replacement, he was awesome at 13 and is excellent captain material!!!!!!

IMO of course.
This
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

cherry.pie wrote:I think Williams should be Green's replacement at 6. I know he's done very well at hooker and people have been so impressed with how tough he is and are even suggesting he could play loose, but I think the halves is where he plays best.

There's a risk of doing what Super League clubs always seem to do and what ruins so many promising halfbacks and outside backs - they see a player with strength and toughness who can tackle well so they shove him in the pack. Strength, strong defence and a tough uncompromising style of play are advantages for a halfback.

Williams is probably the best all round halfback England have had in many, many years at his age and it would be a shame to waste that by sticking him in the pack.
This
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Doubt that its anyone's intention to turn him into a pack man although he provides more than adequate cover at hooker. From what Wane said, yesterday it was just a matter of playing his 17 where he could as there weren't any more to choose from!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cherry.pie wrote:I think Williams should be Green's replacement at 6. I know he's done very well at hooker and people have been so impressed with how tough he is and are even suggesting he could play loose, but I think the halves is where he plays best.

There's a risk of doing what Super League clubs always seem to do and what ruins so many promising halfbacks and outside backs - they see a player with strength and toughness who can tackle well so they shove him in the pack. Strength, strong defence and a tough uncompromising style of play are advantages for a halfback.

Williams is probably the best all round halfback England have had in many, many years at his age and it would be a shame to waste that by sticking him in the pack.
If you play george at 6 with matty in the halves where do you see Rocky fitting in.
I dont think Rocky is a natural full back, but I am no coach.
Putting Rocky at full back also possibly removes an option for Sarg who IMO is not a centre, but would Sarg be picked on the wing ahead of Budgie and Josh when fit.
I will stick my neck out here and say that we should be aiming for George and Rocky in the halves, Sam Powell as back up hooker and Sarg at full back. We do also have goal kickers in that bunch too. I know this makes no reference to smith and blake but we have to look to securing stable positions for key players like George and Rocky.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I'm with you here Cherry, I think that Williams is the best halfback we have - he has the complete game. to make him a hooker would, in my opinion, negate some of the great attacking skills he possesses.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Post by markill »

I think at this stage its just great to have the like of him and Powell getting exposure regularly in games like this. Williams is likely the best prospect of the lot as a genuine game managing half but also has time on his side. I personally think I would play Powell more as Green's replacement, but make sure Williams had plenty of game time be it in the halfs or interchage hooker throughout the next year and a half. Eventually we will move Matty Smith on, thats what seems to be the trend in terms of recruitment and personel strategy. Williams will be more than ready to take centre stage when that happens if he hasn't already done so before that.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Powell will play half IMO based on previous selections
bertina

Post by bertina »

cpwigan wrote: Powell will play half IMO based on previous selections
Why no mention of Ryan Hampshire at stand off from SW.I don't get it. !!