Sam Powell, George Williams or Ryan Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Sam Powell, George Williams or Ryan Hampshire

Post by DaveO »

I'd like to see Hampshire there and given a few games there now with Green out now.

Williams can go back to interchange with MM which gives us another option there. With Williams at six not only does that mean Hampshire is sat on the bench or not even in the 17 we lose the interchange hooker which was looking good before Green's injury.

I think Wane wants to create a Sam T mark 2 with Hamshire though and I really do think this would be a mistake. He might make a good 1 but for me it would be another case of what might have been at 6. He looks the most natural 6 we have had since Edwards and it would be a shame to lose that because in effect we do not have a suitable full back.

I'd give Sarge a go at 1 before I'd put Hampshire at full back.

Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Ryan Hampshire ISHOULD BE NO 6 imo
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Rocky's size is a concern for me, however ability, skill, effort, endeavour, enthusiasm, bravery etc. can outweigh a lack of size.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

never stopped burrow
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He's 20 years old! He has not finished growing yet & will start to fill out as he gets older
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:never stopped burrow
The thing about that is that Leeds only made both Burrow and McGuire regular starting players when they were about 22 years of age. They were introduced slowly, Andrew Dunnaman was signed for three years to help blood them in.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

but age is a different argument to size

if people think he isnt big enough there are a wealth of small players that prove that theory wrong. If people say he isnt old enought, the general age at which players come through now has gone down especially at wigan, i mean bateman is only 20 but he players like a 28-29yr old.

Its horses for courses, from what ive seen of rocky the lad is certainly up to the physical side of Superleague, if anything if there is concern all the more reason to play him at 6 rather than leaving him exposed at 1. He has a seasoned half back in smith beside him if he plays 6 and he provides an xfactor.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Also remember that when Leeds brought in Burrow and McGuire they only won one trophy in 2004 before the next one in 2007. By that time those two players were around 25 years old. I wonder if Wigan fans will be so patient? We certainly weren't with Brown and Robinson. Personally I think Wigan need to share the workload out with those three young players for a year or maybe two with a view to having them ready for starting positions in 2016 and 2017.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

DaveO wrote:I'd like to see Hampshire there and given a few games there now with Green out now.

Williams can go back to interchange with MM which gives us another option there. With Williams at six not only does that mean Hampshire is sat on the bench or not even in the 17 we lose the interchange hooker which was looking good before Green's injury.

I think Wane wants to create a Sam T mark 2 with Hamshire though and I really do think this would be a mistake. He might make a good 1 but for me it would be another case of what might have been at 6. He looks the most natural 6 we have had since Edwards and it would be a shame to lose that because in effect we do not have a suitable full back.

I'd give Sarge a go at 1 before I'd put Hampshire at full back.

All of this is true.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:Also remember that when Leeds brought in Burrow and McGuire they only won one trophy in 2004 before the next one in 2007. By that time those two players were around 25 years old. I wonder if Wigan fans will be so patient? We certainly weren't with Brown and Robinson. Personally I think Wigan need to share the workload out with those three young players for a year or maybe two with a view to having them ready for starting positions in 2016 and 2017.
It wasn't just Brown and Robinson, we had a very inexperienced side generally. We may be heading in the same direction and given one of the three players will play six we will have a young player there come what may so may as well play the best 6 of the three.

Sharing the workload is no good IMO as that means different half back combinations regularly. By all means rest the first choice 6 every now and again but we need a first choice 6 and a settled half back combination.