Centre Defence

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Centre Defence

Post by markill »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
markill wrote:
cpwigan wrote:For all his fans Gelling IMO is not good enough.
Had his worst game for a while I'll give you that. But then it sometimes happens.
cpwigan wrote:Sarge should never play at centre again IMO
Again, not his best game in not his best position but he is young, give him a break.

The two centres you'll naturally prefer and give more chances to even when they do wrong because they came through the system were not available for selection. Someone had to play there.

Lots of the team were not good last night. Where was Hughes? Burgess was poor. Taylor was toothless. Bateman sluggish. It was just a sub par display. We'll get over it.
They were indeed but we need to see more consistency and improvement from some. By the way, Hughes was second in the tackle count and took the ball up more times than any other forward apart from Lockers.
See my comments on the stats thread re Hughes. His involvement was there but it wasn't high quality. He didnt show any of what he could do. I expect him hitting holes at pace and breaking the line a few times, especially the way he played when Faz was out injured.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

markill wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
markill wrote: Had his worst game for a while I'll give you that. But then it sometimes happens.
Again, not his best game in not his best position but he is young, give him a break.

The two centres you'll naturally prefer and give more chances to even when they do wrong because they came through the system were not available for selection. Someone had to play there.

Lots of the team were not good last night. Where was Hughes? Burgess was poor. Taylor was toothless. Bateman sluggish. It was just a sub par display. We'll get over it.
They were indeed but we need to see more consistency and improvement from some. By the way, Hughes was second in the tackle count and took the ball up more times than any other forward apart from Lockers.
See my comments on the stats thread re Hughes. His involvement was there but it wasn't high quality. He didnt show any of what he could do. I expect him hitting holes at pace and breaking the line a few times, especially the way he played when Faz was out injured.
So do I, but then again somebody needs to deliver the telling pass. The halfbacks need to take the ball to the line and commit defenders before delivering the ball. Given this is contrary to how we play the game I don't expect too many line breaks by the forwards until Green returns. Bateman is struggling for the same reasons.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

markill wrote:See my comments on the stats thread re Hughes. His involvement was there but it wasn't high quality. He didnt show any of what he could do. I expect him hitting holes at pace and breaking the line a few times, especially the way he played when Faz was out injured.
You seem to be a little obsessed with stats in all your posts but it seems like they can only ever be used by people if it ties in and suits your particular argument. If it was one of your favoured players you would be praising Hughes for his stats.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Well my hubby played amature rugby and was a coach think he could pick a good team he says Josh should be centre and Sarg is better at full back
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Suzieb wrote:Well my hubby played amature rugby and was a coach think he could pick a good team he says Josh should be centre and Sarg is better at full back
That's nice
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kaii wrote:
Suzieb wrote:Well my hubby played amature rugby and was a coach think he could pick a good team he says Josh should be centre and Sarg is better at full back
That's nice
No need to be sarcastic :exc:
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

cpwigan wrote:
Kaii wrote:
That's nice
No need to be sarcastic :exc:
Not being sarcastic she has a high opinion of her husband, wish my wife was so nice
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:I do think Charnley at centre has to be tried particularly when we have Manfredi as a good winger option. Even as a youngster, Josh was impressive at centre for Hull KR.
Charnley's passing would be suspect with playing on the wing for the last few seasons and would it be good enough to benefit Manfredi.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I do think Charnley at centre has to be tried particularly when we have Manfredi as a good winger option. Even as a youngster, Josh was impressive at centre for Hull KR.
Charnley's passing would be suspect with playing on the wing for the last few seasons and would it be good enough to benefit Manfredi.
We will not know unless we find out. It certainly cannot be any worse than Sarge and Gelling.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
We will not know unless we find out. It certainly cannot be any worse than Sarge and Gelling.
When Josh was on loan at Hull KR, I seemed to recall he played some games at Centre.