Wigan v Hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kaii

Re: Wigan v Hull

Post by Kaii »

mickw wrote:Our reserves could make the top 6 in this ridiculous league where we play all year for one game at old Trafford, a game we can't fill,wane won't bat an eye lid, wire rested players in a local derby and lost? do they care not really,if the coaches are waiting for the playoffs then why should I be arsed with a season ticket any MORE!
The new format should combat this (hopefully)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Looking at the game from the whole RL eye it was poor re Hull defence but from a spectator eye it was fine mainly because some youngsters did well.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

cpwigan wrote:Looking at the game from the whole RL eye it was poor re Hull defence but from a spectator eye it was fine mainly because some youngsters did well.
Story of the season wouldn't you say cp? The standard has lowered, when the likes of Kevin brown and Luke dorn are "stand out" players that tells its own story imo
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Looking at the game from the whole RL eye it was poor re Hull defence but from a spectator eye it was fine mainly because some youngsters did well.
Story of the season wouldn't you say cp? The standard has lowered, when the likes of Kevin brown and Luke dorn are "stand out" players that tells its own story imo
Another reason why the League needs to approve the "marquee" signing rule and amend the salary cap to a more realistic level (same now for god knows how long!).

Just read recently that a newly promoted side in the rugby union (London Welsh) have signed the NZ All Blacks captain. Can you imagine, say, Wakefield or Bradford (or even Wigan Warriors!) signing a player of similar stature from the Kiwis or the Kangaroos ?

In terms of publicity and marketing and putting bums on seats why can't our game make the same move - it's just common sense.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kaii wrote:
mickw wrote:Our reserves could make the top 6 in this ridiculous league where we play all year for one game at old Trafford, a game we can't fill,wane won't bat an eye lid, wire rested players in a local derby and lost? do they care not really,if the coaches are waiting for the playoffs then why should I be arsed with a season ticket any MORE!
I don't think it will appeal to season ticket holders except the die hards because you don't know what you are going to be watching when you buy the ticket.

Come the split into 8x8x8 if you miss the cut you will not be playing against any decent sides for the rest of the season.

The RFL will try and sell the "middle 8" based on the fact it is protracted relegation fight but I think they have already said it all comes down to one game 4th v 5th to playoff for the SL spot the season after. So just another set of pointless games.

When they tried this format in Switzerland for soccer crowds went down not up.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

More or less WF. Somehow the RFL need to make sure every game matters. IMO, we have too many teams and too few players and we are lacking the Marquee element to sell the game. I would reduce the elite division and scrap the cap for that division if the club owner is prepared to accept liability for any debts. The division below could operate a cap and have a much better competition than the current Championship.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Problem is when all the injured are back who does Shaun leave out the young ones have done a cracking job
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

cpwigan wrote:
More or less WF. Somehow the RFL need to make sure every game matters. IMO, we have too many teams and too few players and we are lacking the Marquee element to sell the game. I would reduce the elite division and scrap the cap for that division if the club owner is prepared to accept liability for any debts. The division below could operate a cap and have a much better competition than the current Championship.
Think you're right more so than any other season this season has felt worthless like basically we are all just waiting for the playoffs to start, that's going to eventually start hitting season ticket sales, coupled with the lack of marquee like you say it really does make for grim reading.

I've said in another thread since Sam left we have lost a player who transcends the sport, I have friends who never watch league but they all knew Sam Tomkins, the united players where tweeting him he was on TV and people where coming to the games to see him play.

The RFL are either belligerent or total thick if they think the sport can move forward while they continue to;

A) devalue the season
B) reduce or allow the reduction of the marquee element of the sport
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:
Kaii wrote:
I don't think it will appeal to season ticket holders except the die hards because you don't know what you are going to be watching when you buy the ticket.

Come the split into 8x8x8 if you miss the cut you will not be playing against any decent sides for the rest of the season.

The RFL will try and sell the "middle 8" based on the fact it is protracted relegation fight but I think they have already said it all comes down to one game 4th v 5th to playoff for the SL spot the season after. So just another set of pointless games.

When they tried this format in Switzerland for soccer crowds went down not up.
I also can't see how the new system helps. We are basically certain we will make the 8, so the first cit off of the season is pointless. Then we fight for the top 4, which might have some meaning, but it hasn't in any season before this one with cas in the mix.

So again, the season boils down to a slog with players rested all over the place plus two matches to decide the winners.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

My first visit to the DW since Leeds knocked us out of the 2012 Playoffs, courtesy of a player lending me his season ticket for the West Stand. Spent the first half laughing and joking with Jack Hughes' dad and the second half moidering the life out of Kieron O'Loughlin as we reminisced on times long since past. Loved the tries, esp Tierney's opener and the Williams pounce from Smith's kick through. An enjoyable evening all round. Now looking forward to the Bradford day out. Life is good!????