Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Gelling

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I would guess so too CP, i think this is were Wane and Madge differ, i think madge wouldnt play gelling until he stops offloading randomly regardless of the good he does
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:
John Ferguson wrote:
medlocke wrote:He is fast becoming a fan favourite, Dean Bell was not wrong
You not giving Kevin Iro any credit then??
Meds is just trolling
Congratulations CP, keep up the good work :eusa4:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I am absolutely flabbergasted at some of the negative points on here regarding Gelling.

Not going under the post for his 3rd try!!
He didn't give Josh an assist for his try!!
2 offloads that went wrong!!

Wow, speechless!!

I think his positives last night for a lad that many said were useless far outweighed the above criticisms. Is it really more enjoyable to be negative than positive?

Huge metres made!
3 tries!
1 world class try!
1 assist!
Tackle busts!
Good defence!
Good offloads!

This lad has a lot of work still to do but if he carries on progressing at this rate he could become unplayable!!
It is possible to offer a critic of a player even after a good game.

The problem is that this is possible with gelling;

he does 3 awesome drives gets us up field then finishes off a move taking 3 players over the line, then from the kick off he offloads to no-one opposition pick up and score negating all the hard work and good stuff he has done.

its the type of errors he makes, as good a game he had last night he still did some pretty shocking things, and that is the risk. He is capable of anything good or bad.
Course it is possible to offer a critic, but that is possible of any player after any performance, there is no such thing as the perfect performance. I think you are going over the top with his negatives from last night though as other players have done far worse without playing as well. What about Sarginsons 2 dropped balls under no pressure whatsoever? I am a believer in credit where credit is due!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
medlocke wrote:Funny how nobody ever brings up Gouldings Brainfarts that he does every game, Goulding fanboys really need to deal with the fact he is gone, why not bring up Bowens Brainfarts in another thread, after all he made just as many
Ill assume this was directed at me so retort as such

if you look back through any previous goulding thread you will see i am not a goulding fan boy and in fact i heavy criticised his positional play and the fact he shoots out the line.

Also bowen may have made a couple of errors last night but these are the exceptions rather than the rule.

i am not for one second saying gelling is a bad playing in fact again if you look back through my posts you will see im a big fan of gelling. My problem is with him is that he is prone to making very bad choices that could cost us in big matches

case and point last night first drive in your own 20, 3 players tackling him and he trys to offload losing the ball and turning over possession. That is only ever acceptable if you are chasing a game, we were leading the game at that stage. He had already knocked on twice from similar failed offload attempts.

He needs to learn red zone plays and how to take the safe option. He shores up that part of his game and he could be one of the best in SL because when he pulls it together he is very very difficult to stop

his flick pass to charnley was excellent centre , play
some of it was, some of it wasn't
menpond

Post by menpond »

The only results that really matter are play offs/cup ties. No of tries in low grade matches have to be discounted. One of theb masters in this was JOE LYDON who had the knack of scoring/contributing when the team needed it. Somebody at wigan has discarded Goulding.
mp
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

It really does astound me how some people on here refuse to acknowledge what a quality player this lad is turning into. We are all fully aware that some of his performances on the Wing last season left a lot to be desired but since Thornley's injury he has really stepped up to the plate and is now a quality asset to our side.

He tackles anything that moves. He makes huge yardage going forward, yet there are still those who are insistant on finding fault. To slate a guy who has scored 3 tries in a man of the match performance for not running under the posts is quite possibly one of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard.

Lets face it, if that performance last night had been given by our new Number 11, The people who are slating Gelling would be lauding the greatest comeback performance in the History of rugby league by one of the future all time greats who has to be a dead cert for international selection at the end of the season.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I would guess so too CP, i think this is were Wane and Madge differ, i think madge wouldnt play gelling until he stops offloading randomly regardless of the good he does
This is rubbish in his present form Madge would be playing him without a doubt, as already mentioned people on here just don't want to admit certain players are playing well
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Kaii wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I would guess so too CP, i think this is were Wane and Madge differ, i think madge wouldnt play gelling until he stops offloading randomly regardless of the good he does
This is rubbish in his present form Madge would be playing him without a doubt, as already mentioned people on here just don't want to admit certain players are playing well
it's a personal vendetta with some on here Kaii, seen before over the years, i recall Phelps getting loads of stick no matter how well he did, all because he kept out a couple of Wigan born youngsters who aren't even at the club now, some fans just think they know more than everyone else, pure arrogance if you ask me
bertina

Post by bertina »

The one important thing we need to remember about Gelling is that because of the stupid RL regulations, the lad never had the opportunity to go out on loan to gain some match experience. When he wasn't making the starting squad all he could do was train and spectate. Common sense dictates that he will only get better as he gels into the team.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Kaii wrote:
feel free to quote any post where i have stated that his isnt playing well.

Madge was 100% defense orientated coach and he was against offloads to the stage they almost dried up in his reign here. He liked to play very controlled rugby with low risk plays and low error counts. His tactics were to burst the first 20mins of each half and control the second 20mins.

Gelling i feel would be too much of a "risk" in madges book its my opinion and im entitled to it.

If a player has a terrible match i dont start calling for their head saying they are awful and should never be on a pitch again, much in the same way that just because a player plays well doesnt mean i cant offer an opinion on some of the things he didnt do well.

My worry is that in a closer game against a team that wasnt in melt down his two mistakes would of directly lead to tries. Yes others made errors too, this thread however is on AG and is why i am offering my opinion on his game.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure