Hull FC will miss out on long-term target Scott Taylor – for now

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wildbeast

Re: Hull FC will miss out on long-term target Scott Taylor –...

Post by wildbeast »

Ian are you the Ian birchall that lived in Seascale crescent in the 60's-used to play tick rugby with you when street games where commonplace.-You used to pick me on your side because i was preety rapid then !!!!!-Not so quick now !!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
As for Taylor maybe wanting to go to Hull. Alan Shearer said during a piece on him on SKY sports the reason he did not join Man United and went to Newcastle was that it was his childhood dream and still was at that time to play for Newcastle. He knew he was sacrificing guaranteed trophies for his dream. But his dream was more important.

Steven Gerrard said that the reason he did not go to Chelsea was that the 6-8 trophies he could have won for them would mean half as much as winning a trophy at Liverpool.
They sound to me like they were justifying their choices rather than giving a reason. In any case Shearer had actually agreed to move to Man Utd despite both clubs having agreed a fee with Blackburn and it was a last ditch intervention by Kevin Keegan who was manager at the time who persuaded him to change his mind. His move wasn't the boyhood dream he's making it out to be in that he had actually agreed to play for Man Utd before Keegan came in again.

I just don't believe the thrill of playing for your boyhood club lasts very long if there is not success or worse if your team is struggling. Gerrard could argue he was in a top side anyway.
Lets put it this way is Joel Tomkins an idiot for coming back to us given he has sacrificed a bigger wage, bigger profile and a chance of playing in the union world cup where England has a chance of winning. For playing for his childhood club with wanting to be nearer his family as his wife is going to have a baby.
The fact Wigan is a successful side and the fact his England RU chances were disappearing makes his choice much easier to justify and not the same sort of choice as Taylor has.

I don't think any of the examples you give are the same circumstances as Taylor.

If Hull are relegated at the end of 2015, do you think he would join them then?

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

michael inch stoke wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
The family issue is a bigger one, moreso IMO a different country / continent. To the best of my knowledge it is not an issue re Scott.
Sorry cpw but if you were carrying out missionary work in Yorkshire as I am (as well as trying to bring civilisation to the place) you would know that for any true Yorkist it most certainly is a different country. :lol:
Being married to a yorkshire lass I can definitely vouch for that :lol:
Being the son of one, I will certainly second it! :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:
As for Taylor maybe wanting to go to Hull. Alan Shearer said during a piece on him on SKY sports the reason he did not join Man United and went to Newcastle was that it was his childhood dream and still was at that time to play for Newcastle. He knew he was sacrificing guaranteed trophies for his dream. But his dream was more important.

Steven Gerrard said that the reason he did not go to Chelsea was that the 6-8 trophies he could have won for them would mean half as much as winning a trophy at Liverpool.
They sound to me like they were justifying their choices rather than giving a reason. In any case Shearer had actually agreed to move to Man Utd despite both clubs having agreed a fee with Blackburn and it was a last ditch intervention by Kevin Keegan who was manager at the time who persuaded him to change his mind. His move wasn't the boyhood dream he's making it out to be in that he had actually agreed to play for Man Utd before Keegan came in again.

I just don't believe the thrill of playing for your boyhood club lasts very long if there is not success or worse if your team is struggling. Gerrard could argue he was in a top side anyway.
Lets put it this way is Joel Tomkins an idiot for coming back to us given he has sacrificed a bigger wage, bigger profile and a chance of playing in the union world cup where England has a chance of winning. For playing for his childhood club with wanting to be nearer his family as his wife is going to have a baby.
The fact Wigan is a successful side and the fact his England RU chances were disappearing makes his choice much easier to justify and not the same sort of choice as Taylor has.

I don't think any of the examples you give are the same circumstances as Taylor.

It also could mean that in the case of Tomkins and his Wife, they were not happy living in the London area.

I know I won't!

Alright for visiting, but not for living.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I hate London!

Stayed on Oxford Street a few times.

Its just a cachophony of noise!!

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

I'm quite the opposite I love London, there is so much to do, theatres, museums, concerts. If you stay away from the obvious tourist traps like Leicester Square etc, there are some lovely quiet places which makes you feel you aren't in London but still within easy reach via tube to the centre. I could live there but I can't afford to. But if Joel Tomkins and family felt they would be happier back here then so be it, it's our gain.
I was going to buy a book called "The Power of Positive Thinking", and then I thought: What good would that do?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:

How is it not the same. Only difference is that 1 will get paid more by Hull and the other took a pay cut. He would have still made the England squad which gives him more profile. Also his England chances were diminishing but Saracens are challenging for most honours year on year.

As for both footballers they both could have gone to other clubs but wanted to play for their boyhood teams. That's something you clearly do not understand.

I liked your comment re Keegan intervening and getting him to Newcastle. Thanks for pointing out he actually had a deal at Man Utd but followed his dream.