Harlequins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: Harlequins

Post by robjoenz »

Looking forward this is a great move for London. They finally have the finacial stability they really needed. They have a ground they can call home, training facilities and they have virtually doubled staff, I'm sure that both codes will be able to learn a lot from each other. On another plus side the ground (although I've not been) looks good.

Looking back they must have made some terrible decisions financially and I can understand why some question why they were allowed to continue. Looking as a Wigan fan it doesn't affect us so I am not against them continuing. Had London Broncos been forced out of SL it would have single-handedly killed all the good work done in London to promote RL. A lot of people are of the opinion RL is dead outside of the heartlands; from what I can gather though its popularity has improved immensely over the past 25 years. I for one hope this good work continues.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

I am not saying that we should of let them fold or that they arnt doing a good job in the community it is worthwhile for the longterm of the sport but and it is a big but why are they recieving preferential treatment simply because they are down south,as you say it doesnt affect us but if you were a Widnes or Leigh fan wouldnt you be a little miffed.
Rules should apply to all clubs no exceptions yet a big u turn has been done.
Why would relegation affected the work the club does in the community or the facilities they use?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

damien morrissey posted:
I am not saying that we should of let them fold or that they arnt doing a good job in the community it is worthwhile for the longterm of the sport but and it is a big but why are they recieving preferential treatment simply because they are down south,as you say it doesnt affect us but if you were a Widnes or Leigh fan wouldnt you be a little miffed.
Why would relegation affected the work the club does in the community or the facilities they use?

Had this argument on here with others when they survived the vote by 1 point. I agree with you tthey should be relegated as the Broncos franchise is now not in exsistance from next season therefore they are a new club who have been fast tracked into the league.

Thought we were running on a franchise system ala American Football. When a team move they keep the nickname. Its a kick in the teeth for all the fans of the relegated club when they work so hard and are not allowed the same chance as the Broncos. They hae more over seas siginings than any. Thats wrong, bet they are over the cap this season but by changing owners have been dealt a clean bill by not having wages for earlly part of the season on the figures for this season.

They should be relegated and Widnes or whoever finishes 2nd bottom stay up its a disgracful situation and it smacks of hypocrise.

We are excpected to play by the rules so should they. What next they play 14 men from the start because there having just as big of an advantage in the overseas quota and on the salary cap.
damien morrissey

Thats right it is a new club and should have to petition for entry into the league, i was never a big fan of no promotion and two going down this year but i find this situation unbelivable two historic clubs cant do anything for two years and that is detrimental to the game more than relegating a southern side it is a disgrace and all fans should voice there opinion nt just the relegated clubs.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

thegimble posted:
damien morrissey posted:
Had this argument on here with others when they survived the vote by 1 point. I agree with you tthey should be relegated as the Broncos franchise is now not in exsistance from next season therefore they are a new club who have been fast tracked into the league.

Thought we were running on a franchise system ala American Football. When a team move they keep the nickname. Its a kick in the teeth for all the fans of the relegated club when they work so hard and are not allowed the same chance as the Broncos. They hae more over seas siginings than any. Thats wrong, bet they are over the cap this season but by changing owners have been dealt a clean bill by not having wages for earlly part of the season on the figures for this season.

They should be relegated and Widnes or whoever finishes 2nd bottom stay up its a disgracful situation and it smacks of hypocrise.

We are excpected to play by the rules so should they. What next they play 14 men from the start because there having just as big of an advantage in the overseas quota and on the salary cap.
I agree that they should be subject to the same overseas quota as other RL sides but London are really an exceptional case. I don't think they should be able to avoid relegation if they finished in a relegation position, I do think that the RL gave them a massive let off by allowing them to continue having wiped their debts and it's pleasing to see they've learnt their lesson and secured some financial stability with this merger and finding a new backer.

Relegating London from SL would be a very backwards step for RL in general. Without SL status they would lose all their casual fans, who wants to pay £15-18 to watch Rochdale, Fetherstone and Oldham (although I've seen them play some decent games up at Whitehaven)? Popularity in RL would start to dwindle, having a London team in SL must be something that appeals to the RL fans of London.
damien morrissey

I understand your points Robjoenz but if you talk to the Widnes fans they will argue the same they would prefer to stay in SL and it looks like they will go down because of the leagues franchise policy. this year its two down not one they have run a good business coped with relegation and come back up thats good support not casual fans wandering past they arnt the key audience for the game.
It goes from silly to stupid when all the debt problems are simply forgotten because the club has a new owner then it goes back new name,ground and owners so for all intents and purposes a new franchise without all that silly mither of applying for it.
The only negative about the London side being relegated would be loss of international players and reduced standards but this might force them to improve there academy systems and join the rest of us on a level playing field within the rules..
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

What I cant understand is why they cant attract the crowds

They are playing good rugby

The amateur game in London is thriving

I appreciate that they have moved grounds quite a lot over the last few years and this may have something to do with it

I am very much a fan of the rugby heartlands ie lancashire, yorkshire and cumbria but do feel that if the game is ever going to get the recognition that it deserves then a strong London / southern presence is needed
damien morrissey

At the expense of the rules and simple fairness,yes a team in London is important we all agree on that but when you make an exception where does it end i guess at the Watford gap.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Dont agree that they get any favouritism at all

I am pretty sure the fans of Workington, Barrow etc are all pretty P*ssed as well as they have not really had a sniff at super league

As most of the posts have said the general consensus is that London have had more than a fair crack at the whip with extended overseas quotas, debt written off etc etc

This is what i feel leaves fans of all other clubs disillusioned

The RL are obviously doing everything that they can to promote the game in London as they are playing another Tri nations game there this year.

I am likely to be going to it as I have followed Britain for many years but it does go against the grain a little that i have to travel so far (my choice to go to the game though)

It will be interesting to see what interest there is when the game is played as the Aussie v NZ game was well attended last year

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

damien morrissey posted:
I understand your points Robjoenz but if you talk to the Widnes fans they will argue the same they would prefer to stay in SL and it looks like they will go down because of the leagues franchise policy. this year its two down not one they have run a good business coped with relegation and come back up thats good support not casual fans wandering past they arnt the key audience for the game.
It goes from silly to stupid when all the debt problems are simply forgotten because the club has a new owner then it goes back new name,ground and owners so for all intents and purposes a new franchise without all that silly mither of applying for it.
The only negative about the London side being relegated would be loss of international players and reduced standards but this might force them to improve there academy systems and join the rest of us on a level playing field within the rules..
Of course Widnes would rather be in the SL but on this seasons form they don't deserve to be, some players just aren't playing and I think they rely on too many aging players. They aren't going down because of anything to do with franchises, they look to be going down because they are poorer than all but Leigh.

Haven't they also had their own struggle with finances due to bad management? Were they not the last team to designate a board of directors?

I agree with you that they ought to sort out the academy side but I'm sure with their new resources and facilities at The Stoop that this will soon follow. To be fair though they do an awful lot of work in the community and being fed by lesser London clubs and schools is probably a result of their work.