Time for changes? Player wise

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Time for changes? Player wise

Post by Suzieb »

Exactly
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Correct i have said that all season lads have pulled their tripe out only to be dropped i know everyone has to fplay for their place but these youngsters have well earned their shirts
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Is Goulding injured or has he took a hit cos he's off?
Anybodys guess

Mr Gelling has dropped off a bit since hitting the heights IMO
Gelling dropping off, do you base that off the Widnes game or more in general recently.
There weren't many positives with any of the players in the Widnes game, hence my question.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Gelling always seems to be the scapegoat. The facts are it was poor team selection. even poorer ball handling by ALL and diabolical positional kicking.These sort of selection tactics will not help in building youngsters moral ie williams powell. Not Wane bashing but his arrogance seems to be loosing the plot. With these tactics not be long before he will be loosing his future youth. And please don't say SW as spoken to them and explained. Explained what sorry I know you have played great but we have got players that have not played for months can't be anywhere near match fitness but are taking your place. What happenned to fighting for a place and waiting for your chance.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:Gelling always seems to be the scapegoat. The facts are it was poor team selection. even poorer ball handling by ALL and diabolical positional kicking.These sort of selection tactics will not help in building youngsters moral ie williams powell. Not Wane bashing but his arrogance seems to be loosing the plot. With these tactics not be long before he will be loosing his future youth. And please don't say SW as spoken to them and explained. Explained what sorry I know you have played great but we have got players that have not played for months can't be anywhere near match fitness but are taking your place. What happenned to fighting for a place and waiting for your chance.
Players like Mac and Thorns are key to the squad and are desperate for match fitness so fully understand why they were selected on Friday.
It's better getting their mistakes out of the way early on their return rather than in play off matches.
I also agree that players like George Williams should still be in the team/squad as his form has been really good.
I could only think that injury has kept him out.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Williams and Powell were both out injured on Friday. Burgess played at Bradford in the U19's and by all accounts had a poor first half. In an ideal world Green, Thornley and Mickey Mac would have had a game or two at lower level before coming back into the first team but they couldn't play in the U19's or go on dual reg. Manfredi and Doran were probably two of our better players on Friday although that isn't saying much. Interesting to see that Jordan James played for Workington on Saturday as he was under the £20K p.a. salary cap ruling.
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

I think he needs to decide who is best 17 are and if they're all fit play them in the next 2 games to get some sort of cohesion.

Was bowen Injured on Friday? I saw the logic of bringing Thornley in for Sarginson but there was no need to drop Bowen if he was fit. Powell and Williams were both injured so Mickey Mac coming in with Doran on the bench made some sense. The problem is with this dual reg system we haven't got the option of putting the players coming back into the u21's or reserves so we might have to accept this can happen if we want our players bag fully fit for the playoffs.

The only person I would not have brought straight back in was Green because Williams was playing great but as he was injured this week Wane had no option.

I would pick the following 17(if fit) and sitck with it for the next two games.

Bowen
Charnley
Gelling
Thornley
Burgess
Williams
Smith

Flower
MM
Crosby
Faz
Bateman
Lockers

Green
Taylor
Clubb
Dudson

keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

No straw damn us wrote:Williams and Powell were both out injured on Friday. Burgess played at Bradford in the U19's and by all accounts had a poor first half. In an ideal world Green, Thornley and Mickey Mac would have had a game or two at lower level before coming back into the first team but they couldn't play in the U19's or go on dual reg. Manfredi and Doran were probably two of our better players on Friday although that isn't saying much. Interesting to see that Jordan James played for Workington on Saturday as he was under the £20K p.a. salary cap ruling.
Did not know Williams was injured.I was under the impression he is as fit as a fiddle. And a few ripples at being left out. Should be intresting then selections for Friday.I can see where your comming from with needing game time but both MM and IT could have done with another 2 weeks intense training to get up to speed could not see what the rush was.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

sheepsteeth wrote:I think he needs to decide who is best 17 are and if they're all fit play them in the next 2 games to get some sort of cohesion.

Was bowen Injured on Friday? I saw the logic of bringing Thornley in for Sarginson but there was no need to drop Bowen if he was fit. Powell and Williams were both injured so Mickey Mac coming in with Doran on the bench made some sense. The problem is with this dual reg system we haven't got the option of putting the players coming back into the u21's or reserves so we might have to accept this can happen if we want our players bag fully fit for the playoffs.

The only person I would not have brought straight back in was Green because Williams was playing great but as he was injured this week Wane had no option.

I would pick the following 17(if fit) and sitck with it for the next two games.

Bowen
Charnley
Gelling
Thornley
Burgess
Williams
Smith

Flower
MM
Crosby
Faz
Bateman
Lockers

Green
Taylor
Clubb
Dudson

Wane didn't want to risk Bowens knees on that pitch.He's always been careful with players there. Pettybourne was Wigans best prop, Dudson, Crosby and Taylor were poor and I didn't really notice Clubb on the field. I don't know what to think about Thornley but he was probably Wigan worst player. It was his first game back so that has to be considered. Sarginson was IMO the pick of the backs and doesn't really deserve to be dropped on that performance.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The dilemna is having to play players to get them match fit OR just forget about them until next season. Both Thornley and Gelling do their best work inside the opp 20 and as it stands Wigan and the opp 20 are distant cousins.